Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old March 6th, 2021, 04:54 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: AOTV General Discussion

In a similar vein as maps + scenarios, she we start discussing the terrain somewhere? Even if we say that the "wierd spaces" and the darkened spaces have no special properties, and that the cardboard ruins have the same type of rules as the rotv ones (maybe just considered to be taller) we should collaberate on it so we know what to put in the book.

More than likely we can probably just do this in a single dedicated thread or discuss in this one. Or just put names and such to a vote.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old March 7th, 2021, 11:05 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Looking forward to map threads/forum. 6 + 2 or 3 RotV + 1 each other set is ambitious! RotV could provide some interesting giant scenario maps, since it has the most terrain plus all the boards. Personally, I think we'd be fine with 2 there (and possibly even fewer than 6 just AotV), but that's more up to whoever feels like stretching their brain around all that terrain.

100% on board with the "weird" spaces having option rules a la snow/ice (and I know we've discussed ideas before). The ruins seem best as just as more ruins with no special rules (they're our only LoS blockers, like RotV ruins, trees, rocks, etc). Also really hoping we do an optional rule for the few actual "sand" hexes that come with.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 9th, 2021, 03:58 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm going to step down from all my responsibilities with AotV. I can't keep up and contribute effectively at this time. I'm still cheering you all on and I look forward to seeing your release on the front page!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 9th, 2021, 04:56 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
In a similar vein as maps + scenarios, she we start discussing the terrain somewhere? Even if we say that the "wierd spaces" and the darkened spaces have no special properties, and that the cardboard ruins have the same type of rules as the rotv ones (maybe just considered to be taller) we should collaberate on it so we know what to put in the book.

More than likely we can probably just do this in a single dedicated thread or discuss in this one. Or just put names and such to a vote.
Last time that we discussed the terrain, the consensus was that "Weird Terrain" should get special rules in scenarios, not as a base mechanic. I wouldn't be opposed to flipping direction, but only if we have a really strong and broadly appealing mechanic in mind.

I agree with NecroBlade that the cardboard ruins should just be treated as differently-shaped RotV ruins for rules purposes. No need to do anything fancier for them, IMO.

I do think that more focused discussion on this would be another benefit of starting a Maps subforum for the project, though. The scope of a full Master Set is a bit larger than just this Custom Units & Army Cards section, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Also really hoping we do an optional rule for the few actual "sand" hexes that come with.
I know that we talked about this before, but I don't want to do one "global" optional rule for the sandstone(?) hexes. I think that would limit the practicality of the AotV-exclusive boards a bit, especially for casual play where players typically want to use the special terrain rules (I know that as a kid, I wanted to play with Heavy Snow, regardless of how it impacted the game ).

From a scenario standpoint, though, I really like the idea of doing some kind of special rule. Having a central hill with one of those shifting dunes mechanics that had been proposed a while back could make for a fun scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm going to step down from all my responsibilities with AotV. I can't keep up and contribute effectively at this time. I'm still cheering you all on and I look forward to seeing your release on the front page!
Sorry to hear you go, caps, but thank you for the update. I wish you the best and hope that we'll see you again in the future; you've been a great help in getting this project started and have consistently offered fantastic suggestions. We'll carry on the torch from here, and know that if the HeroScape itch ever comes back, you're more than welcome to return.
Old March 9th, 2021, 05:04 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Missed this on the last page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I can reassign OPs as needed.
The new OP owner has to post in the thread for me to reassign. A tag each time would help as well
@Scytale , here are the threads that we need you to take over from AYP. Please post in each one tagging superfrog when you get a chance.

Pod 1 Main Thread
Dienekes
Ukushisa Pride
Pyria
Velkhor
Old March 9th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

It has been a pleasure to work with both of you, AYP and caps. Take care of your lives, the Arena project will continue!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old March 10th, 2021, 05:43 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Thanks for your contribution to the project! You already know, of course, that we're happy for you to still show up with comments as a member of the "public".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I know that we talked about this before, but I don't want to do one "global" optional rule for the sandstone(?) hexes. I think that would limit the practicality of the AotV-exclusive boards a bit, especially for casual play where players typically want to use the special terrain rules (I know that as a kid, I wanted to play with Heavy Snow, regardless of how it impacted the game ).
How does an optional rule impose limits? Scenarios can still tell you whether or not to use the rule, or some other scenario-specific rule entirely.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 10th, 2021, 05:56 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would support a global optional rule. Options rules give more options not limitations. Terrain is always an awesome addition to the game, especially when it's a rule you have to "switch on" for the map. Master sets generally have at least 1 new type of terrain if we are worried about precedent.

If we are worrued about something being too complicated, I just dont see an optional terrain rule confounding anyone.
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
How does an optional rule impose limits? Scenarios can still tell you whether or not to use the rule, or some other scenario-specific rule entirely.
The fewer base rules that scenarios have to overwrite, the easier they are to understand and remember. Remember how the old Master Sets included a Glyph of Brandar specifically for scenarios, rather than saying "For this scenario, treat the Glyph of Astrid as... and for this scenario, treat the Glyph of Valda as..." (they did that to some extent later, of course, but they specifically wanted to introduce ways to make scenario play easier). It immediately shortens the list of things to remember about individual games and makes scenarios more accessible to players less intimately familiar with the rules.

It might be a minor touch, but saying that "Weird Terrain" rules are defined by the scenario (rather than saying that they're either nothing, this thing, or something from the scenario that overrides that thing) does cut down complexity in an appealing way for a Master Set. I'm fine with taking the opposite approach and saying that there is one global optional rule (which a scenario may or may not use, like the Thaelenk Tundra), but I'd prefer to stick to one approach here. If we have a global rule good enough to work for all of our scenarios, then I'd be perfectly happy with dividing it that way.

Since the Weird Terrain is in a fixed position anyway, though, which is already limiting our options, I personally figure that defining it by-scenario makes more sense. I don't anticipate Weird Terrain being used in a tournaments anyway, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
I would support a global optional rule. Options rules give more options not limitations. Terrain is always an awesome addition to the game, especially when it's a rule you have to "switch on" for the map. Master sets generally have at least 1 new type of terrain if we are worried about precedent.

If we are worrued about something being too complicated, I just dont see an optional terrain rule confounding anyone.
To be clear, I'm fine with an optional rule so long as it's not rewritten by each scenario. In my eyes, we either say (A) Weird Tiles have rules defined by each scenario or say (B) Weird Tiles have X optional rule that you can play with or not.
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:15 PM

IMO, Weird terrain should have scenario-specific rules. Sandstone hexes should have one optional global rule. (That doesn't mean we couldn't utilize them beyond declaring that rule on/off, though given Weird rules I think a second terrain rule in scenarios would be unnecessary.)

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 10th, 2021, 06:19 PM

I'd be fine with that split, though it's worth testing the AotV-exclusive maps with whatever optional rule we wanted for Sandstone in mind.
Old April 13th, 2021, 10:04 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I am dropping from this project, please remove me from all pods at your convienece. Thankyou

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs