Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:03 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Welcome to C3V

I was curious about a few of the potential pitfalls the C3V would probably have faced/be facing, as well as how certain things worked within the C3V, and thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask. None of this is really that important, but these are thing I have wondered about.

How do you go about creating your units? By this I mean, do you get an idea, and flesh out from there, or do you find a figure with a good supply, and base the unit and theme on the figure? I assume there's some of both, but which is more common?

When creating based on a figure, what do you do in cases where the supply is low, or runs out completely like with some of the Rackham figures?

When creating based on an idea, and not with a specific figure in mind, do you ever run into the problem of never finding a suitable figure? How often are you forced to change a design due to lack of thematically fitting available figure(s)?

Can anyone that is not a designer submit ideas for processing through the C3V? Are ollie, and Sherman Davies the only ones? (or does the Member thread need an update? Bigga isn't on there yet either.)

If a member of the community has sufficient Photoshop skills, would it be possible for them to become an artist for the team?

Has the slow decline of the Heroscape community caused persons within the C3V to suggest closing up shop? (btw, please don't)

How often does a unit get thrown out entirely, even after significant testing?

Have real attempts ever been made to create custom terrain that could be released through the C3V? How about figures?

What do you do/would you do if a community member submits a design to the SoV with a figure the C3V been planning to use? What if there isn't a sufficiently similar, or thematically fitting alternative?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these.
Old December 1st, 2017, 09:14 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I’m thumb posting at the moment but I’ll come back later today and answer all these excellent questions. Thanks for your interest!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:13 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I was curious about a few of the potential pitfalls the C3V would probably have faced/be facing, as well as how certain things worked within the C3V, and thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask. None of this is really that important, but these are thing I have wondered about.

How do you go about creating your units? By this I mean, do you get an idea, and flesh out from there, or do you find a figure with a good supply, and base the unit and theme on the figure? I assume there's some of both, but which is more common?
Speaking only for myself, it's almost always the latter.

Quote:
When creating based on a figure, what do you do in cases where the supply is low, or runs out completely like with some of the Rackham figures?
We try to announce a figure as soon as we've decided to use it, but if supplies dry up we do our best to find an alternate figure.

Quote:
Can anyone that is not a designer submit ideas for processing through the C3V? Are ollie, and Sherman Davies the only ones? (or does the Member thread need an update? Bigga isn't on there yet either.)
Any C3V/SoV member can lead a design in C3V, but aside from ollie and myself they are limited to one design at a time in the pipeline.

And yes, one of the Member lists (there are two) needed the update with BiggaBullfrog. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote:
If a member of the community has sufficient Photoshop skills, would it be possible for them to become an artist for the team?
Possibly, if we needed help in the Art Department.

Quote:
Has the slow decline of the Heroscape community caused persons within the C3V to suggest closing up shop? (btw, please don't)
Nope. I'm not actually sure the community is really shrinking any more; it seems to me we've settled into a fairly stable core of fans, with about as many people new to the game or returning to it looking to buy stuff as there are people quitting and looking to sell stuff.

Quote:
It's happened, but it's rare - maybe a little less than 5% of the time.

Quote:
Have real attempts ever been made to create custom terrain that could be released through the C3V? How about figures?
Not really with terrain, but custom figures have been discussed.

Quote:
What do you do/would you do if a community member submits a design to the SoV with a figure the C3V been planning to use?
This is another reason we announce figures as soon as we've decided to use them.
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:41 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
What do you do/would you do if a community member submits a design to the SoV with a figure the C3V been planning to use?
This is another reason we announce figures as soon as we've decided to use them.
It is worth noting that there are Two squads of Ants and Executioner 616 came form a pack that the C3V announced they would use.

Figures seems to get announced before they are at the testing phase, which is the longest phase. So it is unlikely to happen. From my experience there is no Appetite in C3V to snipe figures form SoV submissions. Even if a figure failed SoV, it would likely be years before that figure would enter public domain without the designers permission, that is just how Honorable I have found this group to be.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:27 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Execution

I know that since I submitted Executioner to the SoV prior to joining C3V I double checked with C3V people to see if there was a design waiting for that figure before submitting.

~Dysole, informationally
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:56 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Agreed with Sherman, the latter is much more common.

Quote:
I wasn't around when these figures were decided upon, but I recall that this company had a clearance/closeout sale, and had almost all of their miniatures available at dirt-cheap prices. The ones we used had great availability at the time, and continued to be available for around a year after they were announced. That type of clearance is unlikely to happen again in the C3V, I'd imagine.

Quote:
ollie and Sherman get special voting privileges, and get to have their hands on all designs that go through. Others have some say, but more tweaking power (and veto power) than the power to make designs and heavily alter them. And as Sherman said, any SoV/C3V member can design a unit, but they are limited in how many may be in process at once.

Quote:
It's happened before (i_r_beej, doe138, and Xorlof at least were all brought in as Artists). If it needs to happen again, it'll happen again.

Quote:
I disagree with Sherman here. We've had discussions about the end of C3V. But we still have lots more ideas and figures, and I think closing isn't really an option as long as we have interested members and fans.

Quote:
We commit to miniatures once the design is solid, but before extensive testing. Sometimes designs get pulled back from testing to be overhauled. But the miniature will still be used. And now and then we throw out designs before they make it to testing.

Quote:
Custom figure design pops up now and then, as suits our current design needs. Terrain, not so much.

Quote:
This has actually happened a few times. Somebody submitted dok's custom Zog to the SoV (basically a prototype of Mok), and the judges rejected it for some reasons that mirrored the changes that were being made in the C3V re-design. A few other times there's been a conflict with designs in process in the C3V and SoV designs (figures from the same species in the source game representing different species in their 'Scape versions, or a bit of a theme conflict with designs in process). In these cases, the judges usually ask the designer to make a few changes to keep the design as close to original as possible while aligning it with some behind-the-scenes preferences.
Old December 1st, 2017, 12:14 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Well, I said I'd answer these and I will, though I suspect my answers will be similar to some of those above. Maybe not the same.

Quote:
I'm glad you asked, "important" or not. Our designs are meant to be secret, but our operations are not.

Quote:
The minis are definitely the hard part. A design idea can wait a looong time for the right mini to come along. I did have one idea for a very particular design, for which I went out hunting for a mini. It kind of stalled there because the mini wasn't quite right for practical reasons, but who knows.

Anyway. The best way to start a design in the C3V is for someone to discover an evocative mini in good supply. By "evocative," I mean that it suggests something. Might be an attitude; might be a type of attack or defense. Something. Then we build from there. That's the easiest way to get things rolling for us, and probably the most common.

Quote:
When we announce our intent to use a mini, it's in good supply. Buy it then. If you wait until the card is released the mini might be long gone; impossible or nearly so to find.

Quote:
When creating based on an idea, and not with a specific figure in mind, do you ever run into the problem of never finding a suitable figure? How often are you forced to change a design due to lack of thematically fitting available figure(s)?
That situation is easily resolved. A good idea waiting for a mini sits in storage. This happens frequently, when there *is* a good mini, but before we announce it to the public, the supply dries up. We don't announce the mini until we've put the design through some close analysis, and sometimes during that period the mini becomes unavailable. So the design, as good as it is, sits in cold storage.

Quote:
New designs are run by small groups of people now. We call those groups "Lead Teams." Anyone in the SoV or C3V can be on a Lead Team, with some restrictions as to how many a person can be on at once.

Quote:
Yes! Art is a valuable skill. If we needed to add someone from the outside to the Art Department, we would find a person to add.

Quote:
We have no plans to close up shop. We have too much cool stuff in the pipeline to stop now.

Quote:
Well, things can go back to the drawing board. That happens from time to time. But we never throw out a "unit," in the sense that once we've announced a mini, we will use it. Eventually.

Quote:
We've always ben aware of the possibility of using terrain somehow. We haven't made any attempt to "make" it, but if the right thing came along and we wanted to rebrand it for Heroscape, we would do it. We just haven't seen the thing yet.

We have looked into customization of figures in a couple of different ways. Hopefully we'll get some of those out to you guys soon enough. We already did, after a fashion, with Racheim.

Quote:
What do you do/would you do if a community member submits a design to the SoV with a figure the C3V been planning to use? What if there isn't a sufficiently similar, or thematically fitting alternative?
That's not a problem. Two cards for the same figure? Ok with me.

= =
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:02 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Well, things can go back to the drawing board. That happens from time to time. But we never throw out a "unit," in the sense that once we've announced a mini, we will use it. Eventually.
Well I guess that's good to hear...it's been 4 years, and I was worried for this guy. But it sounds like as was mentioned, minis aren't selected unless a solid design is in place. Can we ask for updates on units like him that seem to be taking particularly long?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:14 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well I guess that's good to hear...it's been 4 years, and I was worried for this guy. But it sounds like as was mentioned, minis aren't selected unless a solid design is in place. Can we ask for updates on units like him that seem to be taking particularly long?
They could be saving him for Large Expac 2.

~~flameslayer, who has no connections and is making a guess

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:39 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

It breaks my heart that the Bluespawn Godslayer is so hard to find now. Those of you who don't have that mini, GO GET IT!

= =
Old December 1st, 2017, 02:09 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Quote:
As others have already said, we always release a design for a mini we've announced. This one has shown to be tricky to get right, so it's taking longer than normal.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 1st, 2017, 03:08 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Something that's really bothered me since I started collecting the C3V figures, is the Valkrill card they use. It's by far the best Valkrill template in the community, but it has one major flaw that sticks out like a sore thumb whenever I see one printed at a tournament.

This is what I'm talking about.

I know it's not very noticeable to most people. I'm probably being a bit nitpicky.

I made my own version for comparison.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs