Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old July 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

miniandmee7 Woo who?
WARHAMMER 40k

Does anyone here play or know about Warhammer... 40k or any other games workshop game??

If chocolate chip cookies are made out of chocolate chips...what are girl scout cookies made of?

If vegetabale oil is made out of vegetables...what is baby oil made of?
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM

DFlynSqrl is surprisingly tart
I play Warhammer Fantasy Battles, but not 40K. I have a Greenskins army (Orc & Goblin). What ya want to know?

Have jetpack, will travel.
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
ATTENTION FURTHER POSTERS!

Please don't turn this into yet another warhammer vs heroscape fight.

Games-workshop is a hobby. Heroscape is a game. They're not ment to compete.

We now return you to your regularly schedualed thread already in progress....

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
I've heard of it, and one of my friends once played it. But I've never played it.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM

DFlynSqrl is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpade

Well, I have no intention of doing that. I don't compare the games at all. Apples and Oranges as far as I'm concerned. BUT, making a post like you just did will probably increase the chance of this becoming a comparison thread by at least 30%.

If miniandmee7 has a legitimate question about the game I'll be more than willing to help. We can even go PM.

Have jetpack, will travel.
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Archer has disabled reputation
I used to play Warhammer 40K from about 1989 to 2002. It is a fun game and even more enjoyable when you have a group of people who play weekly. But, I have to warn you Warhammer 40K does have its drawbacks.

The miniatures are expensive and they are also time consuming when you have to assemble, paint, and flock each figure to make them look good. You are paying now about $35 for 10 plastic miniatures and the vehicles range from $30-$55. To have a basic army it would run you about $300 and there are currently 8-10 armies in the 40K universe. The rules are also a bit extensive and you will have several rule books laid out around you when you play (the books aren't cheap either). Games Workshop has raised their prices every year for the last several years.

On the upside the 40K universe has some great storylines and they have numerous paperback books out about 40K. My best suggestion is to go to the Games Workshop online website and check out what they have to offer. Let me know how you make out.

Regards,
Archer
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynSqrl
Quote:

Well, I have no intention of doing that. .
Which is why I said "further posters". Used to love the game, and I'm looking forward to a real discusion on it.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM

StealthSuitStanley has disabled reputation
I play Tau in 40k and Tomb Kings in WFB.

As mentioned before, the games are very different. On the flipside, they also have similar appeals.

I like HS because it is quick and easy to setup and multiple games can be played in an evening.

40k/WFBgames can take nearly 4 hours for a single game, but most are done in 2 hrs.

Imagine HS with 10,000 pts. in your army with all units available as commons (except maybe a few special characters). Throw them all on a table with fancy scale terrain and move in inches instead of hexes. That's 40k. Place units of 5-40 models in formation and move them around as such, and that's WFB.

I like them all. I have about $500 in my Tau army, including all the models, paint and accessories (carrying case). I've only ever borrowed armies for WFB.

The biggest problem with the GW line of games is that your opponent must have their own army to use.

later
SSS

01 out of 10 people don't understand binary.
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer
I used to play Warhammer 40K from about 1989 to 2002. It is a fun game and even more enjoyable when you have a group of people who play weekly. But, I have to warn you Warhammer 40K does have its drawbacks.

The miniatures are expensive and they are also time consuming when you have to assemble, paint, and flock each figure to make them look good. You are paying now about $35 for 10 plastic miniatures and the vehicles range from $30-$55. To have a basic army it would run you about $300 and there are currently 8-10 armies in the 40K universe. The rules are also a bit extensive and you will have several rule books laid out around you when you play (the books aren't cheap either). Games Workshop has raised their prices every year for the last several years.
Outside of the fact that it is expensive to play, I actually count the other things you listed as positives and not drawbacks. I have found that if you enjoy the modeling, basing and painting then the cost of it all is not that hard to swallow.

If you think about it from a cost of hobby perspective, being a "gamer" is really not that expensive a hobby. Between my son and I we currently have:

Tau: 2,000 pts
Nids: 2,000 pts
SM: 1,000pts

Fantasy
Dwarf: 1,500 pts
Orc & Goblin 1,500 pts
Chaos Mortals: 1,000 pts

Between the purchase of these models, gaming aids, rule books and materials for building game tables & terrain pieces we have spent somewhere between $1,000 & $2,000 on stuff. That sounds like a lot but I have buddies who have spent d"I cuss too much"n near that much on one golf club.

I don't mind paying the price if I feel that my son and I are getting our "hobby dollars" worth.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker Ormus knows what's in an order marker
Quote:

Games-workshop is a hobby. Heroscape is a game. They're not ment to compete

Heroscape is better than Warhammer.

:P
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
I played 40k (World Eaters and Thousands Sons) off and on for a couple of years, at the end of high school begining of college . Well, I said played, I collected and painted the figures and played maybe 10 games.

I never liked it. I wanted to like it so bad, but never did, and here's why:

I loved painting the figures, this wasn't an issue for me, at first. After having to buy and rebuild my army (after realizing your army choices suck) I started getting tired off it. The 300 dollar price tag is sort of arbitrary if your initial army is ass. A lot of the units look awesome on paper, but then just sort of don't cut the mustard versus other stuff. So, in order to redo your army, you have to buy and paint more stuff.

Then the new codex and rules came out, and I jumped on board at first. But then prices started to go up, and at the same time, most core units were priced a little less (game value) so it took more units to field an army. But like I said, I enjoyed painting the figures.

The game it self was not very fun. Even less fun when the only people you have to play are the local game store trolls. It's very, very heavy (at least by my standards, but then again, I don't consider myself a "wargamer"). I did play a few games with a friend of mine before he moved, but even those weren't very fun games. There's just too much to the game. I know some people love that stuff, but it's just not my thing.

The stories behind the different armies and factions, and the whole Imperium thing are pretty cool, but it's really just fluff.

If you're really interested in the game, I say find out if your local game store has a dedicated game day (most will if there are more than 2 people who play) and come in and watch a game, but more importantly, watch the PEOPLE who play it. Are these the types of people you want to spend 3-5 hours with playing a game? It is a big money investment (to most people, at least) and some people take it very seriously, to the point of zapping any ounce of fun out of the game. But that's true with any game.

Just wanted to give the perspective from the other side. Good luck in your choice.

smallboxgames.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures