Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old January 21st, 2021, 09:21 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Ozuul (Eldrazi Ruiner) - Playtesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
At this point, I would really like to see some input from Pod 0 regarding their thoughts on increasing Ozuul’s movement to 6. After testing him pretty extensively, I’m confident saying that the current version is definitely not overpowered, and I believe that a movement increase would help make Big Purple more consistent and able to take full advantage of his abilities without giving up defensible positions as often. However, if the pod doesn’t think this change is necessary, I see nothing stopping us from calling playtesting complete for this unit and moving on the next step in finalizing this design.
I don't have any strong feelings against 6 move and would be in favor of the change. That said, in my mind, this would involve additional testing (and perhaps a slight point increase, since he can have those explosive games), whereas from what I've read I'd be pretty much willing to move Ozuul on as-is right now. If we do make the jump to 6 move, then I'd want to run some more tests to make sure that we haven't overtuned him (obviously not as many as have already been run, but still more than just 1-2 extra tests).
Old January 30th, 2021, 11:57 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I did do some testing with 6M for Ozuul, though I didn't record much more than notes after the games.

Game 1 & 2 were Ozuul, Velnesh, Pyria, Krav, and Isamu vs Raelin RotV, Soul Guides, Drake RotV, B-11s, and Sonlen.

Game 1 Ozuul used the extra move to get to Wannok early and sit on it as a big distraction, Wannok doing 1 to Drake before he came off to go after B-11s who were shooting at him. He managed to pull some, and Raelin after she moved up to boost defense, and killed 2 plus 2 wounds on Raelin. Counting Wannok Ozuul got ~109 points. (For our other figures: Velnesh killed 1 B-11, 1 to Raelin for ~44. HSGs killed 1 Krav and did 1 to Pyria via Wannok for ~53. Pyria killed 1 B-11 and did 1 to Drake for ~50.)

Game 2 was straight wrecking ball Ozuul bee-lining for an many figures as possible, which 6M really enables. Raelin, Drake, 2 to Sonlen, and 2 B-11s were all taken out for ~298 points. This unsurprisingly resulted in a big win for his team, Krav cleaning up. Velnesh weren't needed, Pyria died in the start zone, and the last HSG brought back Drake as a distraction before it got killed anyway, but OMs were placed elsewhere.

Games 3 & 4 were same army as above against Romans x4, Marcus, NGS, and Mogrimm.

Game 3 Ozuul lead but only got 3 Romans, 2 to NGS, and 1 to Mogrimm for ~94 points. With poor board position following that, it was a pretty major loss. Pyria killed 1 Roman for ~13, but that was about it.

Game 4 saw a different strategy and solid Crush rolls turn into an opposite result. Krav kited Romans as long as they could, picking off a few and letting Ozuul move around to Pull and kill a couple at a time. In total, 3 squads of Romans, Marcus, and 1 to Mogrimm for ~270 points. Pyria did not get used as the game was decided by the Velnesh after that; they killed NGS and did 5 to Mogrimm (~190). This was after doing a ton of blocking and Blinking, severely impeding the Romans' ability to move across the board laterally and go after Ozuul in numbers.

My thoughts are +1M seems to go a lot further on Ozuul than it might on many other figures. He averaged 192 points over these 4 games, 2 wins, 2 losses. Makes me think he might even bump into the above 200 range. He certainly felt more like a terrifying force of nature, since he was able to just get to a lot more positions with Pull and Crush potential. If others can get a few tests with 6M, I'd like to hear what everyone prefers.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:05 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Map: Custom (start zones for this map are 3 columns of hexes of furthest ends of the map)
Spoiler Alert!

Glyphs: None

Army 1: Marro Hive, Marro Stingers x4 (400, left side)
Army 2: Ozuul, Raelin, Krav Maga Agents, Guilty McCreech (400, right side)

Versions used:

Spoiler Alert!

Which units survived?
Guilty McCreech, 1 Krav Maga Agent

Turn by turn brief
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Ozuul was a powerhouse this game, crushing a total of 9 Stingers for 180 points. He got a lot of good attack rolls, but the Stingers got a good hit back in return which definitely ended his run a bit early. The 6 move feels a lot better and really helps him get into position. Although this was a relatively flat map, the extra move was crucial in guaranteeing gravity pulls, as well as opening up more options to do so. He was a lot of fun with 6 move and a lot more intimidating with it. Hard to tell from one game, but 190 feels pretty good for him with 6 move. It definitely feels like the right direction to take him.

Last edited by Skinderella; January 31st, 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:16 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Did you play with the Cryptoliths as Pillars of Hár or using the rules from Shadows Over Innistrad? I see from the turn by turn that figures were able to stand on them, but I'm not sure if you were also playing with Destructible Object variant where figures can be knocked off of them (not that it would've changed much in this game; I'm just curious).
Old January 31st, 2021, 08:12 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Did you play with the Cryptoliths as Pillars of Hár or using the rules from Shadows Over Innistrad? I see from the turn by turn that figures were able to stand on them, but I'm not sure if you were also playing with Destructible Object variant where figures can be knocked off of them (not that it would've changed much in this game; I'm just curious).
Using the Pillars of Hár rule! Should of clarified that, I'll update the post. They were fun but were only briefly used by the Krav to get height advantage.
Old February 1st, 2021, 01:49 PM

Great. Thanks for the clarification!
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:26 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Reevaluating 6M here, I was originally of the camp who didn't feel the need to up his movement. I'm willing to see what 6M brings to the table, although I don't want to see him over 200 personally.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:41 AM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Any particular reason not to see 200+? It's not unheard of in a Master Set (Tor-Kul-Na). We don't have anything in the next highest range (Drake II 50 points under) yet, but we're only 3 Pods halfway in.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:51 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

No reason other than 200 looks nicer than 210

If its where the design lands, so be it. Although, the Drake II is shaping up to only come out to ~110, so we will probably want something with a little more coming up. Maybe the wolf figure?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 12th, 2021, 09:51 AM

I didn't mean our closest Drake II analogue, more that currently our next-highest figure is Pyria at 120. We'll have to get more tests to see exactly where a 200-ish Ozuul would land.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 7th, 2021, 12:23 PM

Ozuul, Krav, Izumi, Tarn vs Romans x5, Marcus, MBS on Aeon.

Game 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
Spoiler Alert!

6 Move really helps Ozuul set up to be a wrecking ball straight at the opponent. Sustained attacks of 3+ usually still take him down quickly, but he can disrupt the opponent quickly as well. He has a very high ceiling that I'm sure can be achieved more often if someone figures out the best way to play him, but I actually tried a few other games (sometimes with strategies that didn't involve leading with him) that didn't go well at all (including one where he didn't roll a single shield and died in one turn), making his average in kills 100 points. The large discrepancy between taking out over half the enemy army and killing only a single squad figure makes Ozuul really difficult to pin down.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 26th, 2021, 10:54 PM

Captain Stupendous, superfrog, and I just ran a three player "Kill the Player to Your Left" game. Ozuul really shines in this format, since he already has good stats and wants to target developing figures that don't actively want to kill him.

FRENZIED by Flash_19
350 Points
No Glyphs
superfrog: Agrith-Naar, Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Marcu Esenwein (345)
Captain Stupendous: Maekor (C3V Public Testing), Greenscale Warriors x3, Arkmer (350)
Astro: Ozuul, Red Ants of Aunstrom x4 (350)

GAME SUMMARY:
I was trying to kill Capt. Stupendous, who was trying to kill superfrog, who was trying to kill my figures. Capt. S began developing his Greenscales and Maekor up the central hill while superfrog carefully developed his Acolytes and I spread out the ants as much as possible. On OM3 of Round 1, I moved Ozuul up, and then an initiative switch let me send him flying into Capt. S' forces to Gravity Pull in Arkmer and two Greenscales (one was already engaged from the movement) for a total of 4 targets. Each figure was placed on height, but thanks to a 3/4 roll, only one Greenscale survived the attack. Capt. S pushed ahead with Maekor and a few Greenscales to engage superfrog's Acolytes, while I left engagement with Ozuul (taking 1 wound) to move into position to Pull in three more figures (and the one I had just left engagement with) for another attack against 4 figures. With 2/4 skulls, only one Greenscale survived once again.

With 5 Greenscales and Arkmer already annihilated by Ozuul, superfrog switched tactics to try and protect Maekor (who was near his corner of the map now) after summoning Agrith-Naar. The demon started devouring ants (though he did end up whiffing attacks twice and wounding himself with Starved). I finished off the last Greenscale with the Red Ants, and then Ozuul made a beeline for Maekor. By now, superfrog only had 1 Acolyte, Marcu, and a wounded Agrith left, I only had Ozuul with 1 wound, and Capt. S had an unwounded Maekor. Thanks to Ozuul's 6 move and head start, he reached Maekor before getting tied down by Agrith-Naar, dealing 2 wounds with the first 3/6 attack. Superfrog then took a turn with Marcu, dealing 2 wounds to Ozuul while Maekor attacked Marcu again. Ozuul dealt 2 more wounds with another 3/6 attack, and Agrith tried flying in but stopped just short. The next turn, Ozuul finished off Maekor with 4/6 skulls, winning the game.

SURVIVING UNITS:
Astro: Ozuul (3/8 wounds)
superfrog: Agrith-Naar (2/6 wounds), Marcu (2/6 wounds), 1x Acolyte of Vorganund

POWER USAGE:
Ozuul used Crushing Vortex twice, first targeting Arkmer and three Greenscales (3/4) and then targeting four Greenscales (2/4). Each time, only one Greenscale survived the attack.

He used Gravity Pull twice, once before each SA. The first time, he pulled in three figures (two Greenscales and Arkmer), each of which claimed height on him. The second time, he pulled in four Greenscales, only one of which was able to claim height.

He used his normal attack four times, first to kill an Acolyte engaging him from height (2/7), then three times to finish off Maekor (3/6, 3/6, 4/6).

Total Damage Dealt: ~167 Points, +120 Points for Maekor for a total of ~287 Points

He also absorbed several attacks. Until the last wound, he only had 1 wound from a LEA and had blocked 2-3 attacks from a lone Greenscale on height. He also blocked one attack from an Acolyte and then took 2 wounds from Marcu.

THOUGHTS:
Ozuul can be frighteningly powerful in the right situations, and I think that this is one of his best scenarios. In a 1v1 game, it's easier to focus him down or deny your opponent good opportunities, which I think we've seen in the times that he's underwhelmed in past tests. In a higher player count, though, there's just more stuff on the board to juggle, and Capt. S couldn't fully focus on attacking Ozuul when doing so would be helping superfrog win. This led to a scenario where Ozuul came in and wiped out almost half of Capt. S' army at the very beginning; since he was near that corner of the map, superfrog was focused on my ants and Capt. S was focused on the Acolytes. By the time that only Ozuul was left in my army, superfrog's figures were too scarce to really stop him from reaching and finishing off Maekor.

So this format has a lot of stuff going in Ozuul's favor (and there was a bit of luck involved in his wrecking spree). That said, I still think that how well he performed here is worth looking into with further 3+ player games; HeroScape generally doesn't balance solely around 1v1 tourney-style games, and I think that it's critical that we don't let Ozuul dominate the more casual side of the game.

I think that 6 move feels good on the design. That said, I also think that we should be considering an increased point cost to better account for his ceiling at higher player counts, even if it results in him being a little "underpowered" in tournament games. To be clear, I'm not talking about +30 points or anything drastic; he just feels like he should be closer to Tor-Kul-Na than to Nilfheim right now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs