Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Notices

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM

generalgina knows what's in an order marker generalgina knows what's in an order marker
Re: Mr.Scape Goes to The World

Catalyst above sounds good as does FFG. I really think Privateer Press would be a good fit; their games are already similar to Heroscape. WizKids would be good too. We might even see Marvel/DC expansions from them. I just can't see Mayfair or Rio Grande interested picking up Scape; they both make Euros.
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
First I should state that all I know about Memoir 44 is that it is played on hexes, and the thumbnails on BGG make me think of Heroscape until I look closely. Would they maybe be interested in buying Heroscape only to get their hands on the terrain?
This last bit has been speculated quite a bit, and it's truly the part that worries me. All the grand hope of someone buying the property would lead to an even bigger let-down than the property remaining stagnant.
An interesting question (for a poll?) might be about what scenario(s) would you like and why? with options along these lines:
A. Heroscape remains Hasbro IP. They may or may not reprint and/or revive the game at some point in the future.
B. Another company buys the IP, but only releases product containing the hex terrain.
C. Another company buys the IP, and revives the game.
D. A combination of A and B. Heroscape remains Hasbro IP, but they license out the use of the terrain tiles to other companies interested in using them for their own games.

B and D are almost the same for the consumer. D might get us more terrain options than B (if they license it out to interested paying parties liberally), but either way we will have an option to buy terrain. A will keep it in the Hasbro family. It could be revived, or it might not. At least it's an option if they keep it. C is a real wild card. Without knowing who it is, how savvy they are, and the quality of the product, we just don't know how it will turn out.
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First I should state that all I know about Memoir 44 is that it is played on hexes, and the thumbnails on BGG make me think of Heroscape until I look closely. Would they maybe be interested in buying Heroscape only to get their hands on the terrain?
This last bit has been speculated quite a bit, and it's truly the part that worries me. All the grand hope of someone buying the property would lead to an even bigger let-down than the property remaining stagnant.
An interesting question (for a poll?) might be about what scenario(s) would you like and why? with options along these lines:
A. Heroscape remains Hasbro IP. They may or may not reprint and/or revive the game at some point in the future.
B. Another company buys the IP, but only releases product containing the hex terrain.
D. A combination of A and B. Heroscape remains Hasbro IP, but they license out the use of the terrain tiles to other companies interested in using them for their own games.

B and D are almost the same for the consumer. D might get us more terrain options than B (if they license it out to interested paying parties liberally), but either way we will have an option to buy terrain. A will keep it in the Hasbro family. It could be revived, or it might not. At least it's an option if they keep it. C is a real wild card. Without knowing who it is, how savvy they are, and the quality of the product, we just don't know how it will turn out.
If someone bought the rights to the terrain (or liscenced them) what makes you think they would keep the same scale? It would be in their interest not to.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Why would someone buy the rights to heroscape terrain if they had to make a new mold anyway? I would imagine if someone came up with interlocking hex terrain that stacked but was different scale, linking jigsaw pattern, and pattern on top, that Hasbro/WotC would have no grounds to sue for copyright infringement. The whole point would be to buy both the rights to Heroscape Terrain as well as the molds so they don't have to start from scratch.

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 11th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
If someone bought the rights to the terrain (or liscenced them) what makes you think they would keep the same scale? It would be in their interest not to.

CRC
I think that most minis games are roughly the same scale as Heroscape. That makes the size desirable. The Memoir 44 gallery on BGG shows people using Heroscape terrain for games, and it looks like it works. I don't know that there is really a compelling reason to not use the same size.
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm no game industry insider, but I sincerely hope WizKids does not ever get a sniff of this property.

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Steve Jackson Games really fits the bill for most, if not all, the bullet points.

FFG was specifically mentioned in the podcast. They wanted to buy it in 2008 but were refused. Plus they were mentioned countless times on the threads, and the podcast guy said the companies in the mix had not been mentioned as of the time of his post.

Privateer Press makes minis for war games. Something the podcast said the suitor company (ies) aren't really into at this time.

Mayfair and Rio Grand, maybe. I'm pulling for SJG, a good company.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old November 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

In the case of SJGames unless it is GURPS or some version of Munchin do not count on any game they put out getting much support. Heck they managed to flub the relaunch of Ogre 10 years ago by putting the minis in the store without a rulebook. They just told people to look around and try and get a copy of Ogre Miniatures that had been produced in 1992. Oh they promissed a new rule book, but Steve Jackson was the only one who could do it and he was to busy running the rest of the company. This was the same thing they did with their Hot Lead miniatures line from the early 90's. They got out 10 or so miniature packs and never produced a rule book to support them.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM

TartanDoc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's entirely likely that the IP of the terrain is the ONLY part that Hasbro sells, precisely because of the issues with the D&D minis that was mentioned in the podcast. So, it may be that the previous waves will not be reproduced (I missed 2 on a hiatus from the game...oops). However, I don't see this as a loss. Honestly, the terrain is by far the selling point of Scape; I got into the game originally to get the terrain for another minis game (LOTR TMG). The idea that another company might produce more terrain, especially if the continue to broaden what's available (city scapes, etc.) and re-release some of the terrain sets (ice, lava, forrest, jungle) that would be pretty great.
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:29 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Because of the desireableness of the terrain for other games, could this 5th option be possible:

E. Another company buys the IP and produces Heroscape figures, but splits off the terrain into its own thing (ie. selling it separate or liscensing it to multiple other games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
Once we find out the best companies to pick up Heroscape, we would need to send a large, organized, and supportive petition to them
I agree. I think declarations of Intent To Support should be sent to multiple companies rather than just the single top contender. I also think that it can't hurt to send single letters, emails, or phonecalls when possible. I mean if the mission to keep Heroscape alive is fubar there's no point conserving ammo anymore!

Also it would be helpfull to eventually collect the contact information for the companies of possibility.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs

Last edited by Strack9; November 11th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Quest Quitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strack9 View Post
Because of the desireableness of the terrain for other games, could this 5th option be possible:

E. Another company buys the IP and produces Heroscape figures, but splits off the terrain into its own thing (ie. selling it separate or liscensing it to multiple other games).
That's possible, but for our purposes I think it is about the same as C (and I would be afraid it would be closer to B). The game (system and minis) would be revived, and the terrain would be available although in a separate, more generic package. If I had to order my list in the order of most likely to least likely, I would put A first, followed by D. B and C I think are about tied for last place. If I had a gun to my head I would say B is more likely than C.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News