Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Gidian has disabled reputation
Rock tutorial

In my terrain thread, I promised you a tutorial of the posted rocks and here it comes.
But I need someone to correct my imperfect English, because I also want to host this tutorial on my homepage in German and English.

And sorry for the quality of the photos. Unfortunately the polystyrene reflects very strongly.

Ok, letīs start:

Material:
You really donīt need that much material for the rocks. I just used a few things:
- Polystyrene, nearly two inch thick (in Germany itīs called "Styrodur" but itīs just a brand name and I think you have other names in the US)
- Glue
- Sand
- Paints (brown, black, white,)
- a sharp knife
- brush
- 3 screws

Step 1:
First of all, you should cut a really rough shape into the polystyrene. It has to be a little bit bigger than the rocks you want to have in the end, because you have to cut away a lot. Keep in mind that it should fit on the HS tiles in the end.

Step 2:
Now you should start to improve the rough shape a bit by cutting out some upright lines. And remember: Itīs just a rock. Itīs not an architectural building with right angles and straight lines.

Step 3:
Ok, letīs get to the horizontel lines, which give the rock its typical shape. Itīs a quite simple technique which I call "cut and break".
You have to cut into the polystyrene - not in a right angle but in an angle about 45° - and then you must turn the knife around to break out a piece of the polystyrene. That gives it a small but interesting structure and you donīt have any ugly cutting-lines in the material you donīt want to have.
But be careful with the blade which can break easily.

Cut...

...and turn around to break out a piece.

Cut...

...and turn around to break out a piece.

Step 4:
With this technique you have to go on until the shape of the rock is completely done. That will take some time and itīs not only fun.

Step 5:
Once you've finished the cutting-job, you can start painting. For the basecoat, I mixed some brown paint with some glue (about 70:30). The glue gives it a better hold on the polystyrene.

Step 6:
Now itīs time to fix the rock on its base. To give it more steadiness, I used some screws additionally to the glue.

Step 7:
With the same basecoat, I also painted the HS hexfields.

Step 8:
Because of the glue, you can strew some sand directly onto the wet paint. Let it dry for some hours and tap the sand. Paint the remaining sand again with the basecoat.
The rest is just drybrushing. Mix some black and white paint to two grey colors - one light grey and one dark grey. These two colors have to be mixed with the brown basecoat. Then you should have two brown-grey-tones for drybrushing. In the end, you can light it up with just a little bit of very light grey.
For the ground, you can also use some black ink:
Mix some black paint with water (about 40:60) and paint it over the brown basecout. Then take a napkin or something like that and wipe over the ground. The black ink should stay in the deeper parts, adding some shades. When it dried, go on with the drybrushing.

Ok, as I mentioned in the beginning - my English is "not perfect". I hope, nevertheless you understand most of the explanations. And it would be very nice if someone could correct my text. Thanks.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Seriously awesome tutorial Gidian. The final product look very, very nice.

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Pretty Cool!!

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM

cycoduck is surprisingly tart
Very nice. I like.

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I'd like to see a tutorial on the custom road tiles!

Great work Gigian!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Very impressive!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
If I had any artistic talent whatsoever, I would probably want to try that!
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Something I might be able to do! Looks amazing!

Also, your English is much better than a number of the native speakers on this site. :P

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
I've always prefered a hotwire cutter to a knife when working with styrofoam. Styrofoam dulls the blade way too quick.

This is a great starter project. Doesn't take too much work, and it's really hard to screw up. I recomend anyone who wants to start building custum terrain give it a shot.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Gidian has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
If I had any artistic talent whatsoever, I would probably want to try that!
Itīs much easier than you might think at first sight. You donīt need any advanced terrain building skills to copy one of these rocks. Just give it a try.

But be sure to use the right material. Donīt use the polystyrene with these small beatlets which are used for packaging of TV-Sets and stuff like that. That kind of polystyrene is not good for cutting and painting.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
Once I get another Masterset, I am definitely making some of these.

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
But be sure to use the right material. Donīt use the polystyrene with these small beatlets which are used for packaging of TV-Sets and stuff like that. That kind of polystyrene is not good for cutting and painting.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
I learned that the hard way...

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles