Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old February 7th, 2021, 12:23 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Playtesting

Just got done playing a game vs Capt Stupendous on Marshall Law.

I played

Velnesh
Minions x3
Heirloom

Capt played

Einar Imperium x2
10th Reg x2
Guilty
Frasier

For the most part, the the Minions did the heavy lifting, but I did use the Velnesh to grab the high point of the map (the sand 4 tile) to prevent him from grabbing it with his gunner figures. That bought my Minions enough time to slowly fly up and claim it, giving them a nigh imprenetrable 7 defense. Although 3 minions died holding it, one did manage to waste an entire round of Capt's 10th Reg attacks, helping to give my deadly axes time to clear away Imperium and 10th figures who were making my Velnesh and Heirloom's life hell.

A Velnesh was used to eat a Wannok wound (so that i didn't completely mill Heirloom), and another was used (with road bonus) to engage the 10th in his SZ with the goal being to prevent them from shooting at a minion holding the mill wound glyph.

Overall, these guys are very useful. Unlike the Ninjas of North Wind they give you the ability to pass on moving when attacked, letting them actually hold ground, hopefully eating a few attacks for your more valuable figures. They definately feel like they are a distinct unit!

(2 OMs used on them, Shift and Blink not used super much since I played them as blockers)

GG Captain!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 13th, 2021, 08:25 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Ran a game with these guys. Map here. Scenario rules: The darkness of the caves cuts the range of attack, special attacks, and ranged special abilities by 1. Pillars of Har rules were used, but nobody bothered with em.

Armies were:

Raelin 2
Eldgrim
Otonashi
Velnesh Alphas
Warriors of Ashra x4

vs

Su Bak Na
Me Burq Sa
Marro Stingers x4

The Velnesh didn't do much this game other than get killed by Stingers (who my wife was spamming Stinger Drain with). I hoped to use Eldgrim to help them with their movement, but it didn't matter. No harm done, since Stingers gonna stinger. I did ultimately win the game, but I think that was mostly because of Stinger Drain.

It's good to see that using them as anti-range doesn't always work, especially against high attack figures like Marro Stingers. Generally I think they play kinda as well as you should expect for 90 points. Effective but still likely to die when you don't want it to. I'm comfortable with passing these forward.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old March 7th, 2021, 10:30 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Unlike the Ninjas of North Wind they give you the ability to pass on moving when attacked, letting them actually hold ground, hopefully eating a few attacks for your more valuable figures. They definately feel like they are a distinct unit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
It's good to see that using them as anti-range doesn't always work, especially against high attack figures like Marro Stingers. Generally I think they play kinda as well as you should expect for 90 points. Effective but still likely to die when you don't want it to. I'm comfortable with passing these forward.
These are both excellent points about how they play (differently) and ones I think we've seen again and again in their testing.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 7th, 2021, 12:10 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I finally got another map set up this week and will hopefully be able to play some more testing games for AotV again. Unfortunately, this first one was cut short since it was already running late and the Velnesh died off quickly. There was one Velnesh left alive, but other than absorbing two attacks and an early OM, they had little impact on the game other than serving as targets for MBS to track down and eliminate.

SWAMP THING by Browncoat
400 Points
Glyph of Dagmar

Astro: Roman Legionnaires x3, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Me-Burq-Sa, Sentinels of Grax
Dawn: Arrow Gruts x4, Krug, Velnesh Alphas, Swog Rider

GAME SUMMARY:
We centralized around the eastern hill as Dawn began developing Orcs and I tried to mobilize the Romans up the road to avoid losing height. Krug moved in as well to serve as a roadblock for my Romans, while Me-Burq-Sa moved around and pinged at some of the archers. At the end of Round 1, Dawn moved in with the Velnesh, but my Romans weren't within striking distance yet.

The next round, I used MBS and failed the paralyze roll but killed a Velnesh from height anyway. I then got lucky and killed another one with a Roman from a height disadvantage after the Velnesh whiffed a 5-dice defense roll. We continued fighting over the hill, but I took one more potshot at a Velnesh's extended arm that left it exposed from behind the ruin. It blocked the attack and teleported further behind cover so that MBS couldn't see it anymore. Dawn never thought that it was worthwhile to put an OM on the Velnesh again, and we called the game at the end of the round.

POWER USAGE:
They were able to Shift effectively onto height, but some poor luck and the addition of MBS meant that they lost two figures rapidly. Blink only triggered once, on the third attack they received and the first that they had blocked.

THOUGHTS:
Blink was able to basically protect the last Velnesh for the rest of the game, but it's uncertain if that one would've been able to have a decent swing like in the game where the last Velnesh killed Q10.

I kind of screwed up my army here; the Velnesh are pretty weak to range as a Unique Squad with only 3 figures, so MBS was the perfect counter to them, especially if Paralyzing Stare had ever triggered. The lucky Roman attack certainly didn't help, either.
Old June 11th, 2021, 02:25 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I played another game with these guys in the hands of a new player. There were a couple of tactical errors and swings in luck, but he still enjoyed them quite a bit.

SWAMP THING by Browncoat
390 Points
Glyph of Dagmar

Player 1: Velnesh Alphas, Raelin (SotM), Ashigaru Harquebus x3
Astro: Zombies of Morindan x5, Sir Hawthorne

SURVIVING UNITS:
10x Zombies (16 revivals)
~200 Points

GAME SUMMARY:
Player 1 led with the Velnesh Alphas, quickly claiming Dagmar as I led Sir Hawthorne a bit into danger. A Velnesh shifted behind a tree on height to lie in wait, while the last took the eastern hill.

Zombies and Raelin began developing. The Velnesh on the western side whiffed its defense roll, bringing down their numbers almost immediately. Another one jumped down and managed to kill a zombie, but failed to roll the 2 shields it needed to survive the retaliation despite being in Raelin's aura. The last one sat on the glyph for the rest of the game; it served as a slowdown, since I neither wanted to attack it over other targets nor did Player 1 want to risk another turn with it.

Sir Hawthorne then betrayed me, leaving him blocking the western hill flank and forcing my Zombies to take the long way around. The Harquebus began surrounding Raelin, firing down on the Zombies but failing to completely slow their tide.

The Zombies managed to finally reach the Ashigaru on the eastern hill, and they quickly began converting their numbers. It swang a bit back and forth as the Ashigaru almost reclaimed their hill and banished the Zombies, but a sudden string of successful attacks wiped the Ashigaru off of the hill and left a few stragglers in the central swamp and 6 Ashigaru in the starting zone. The Zombies abandoned Raelin for the starting zone, losing some figures but managing to persist until it had been converted.

Then they began Onslaughting Raelin with their superior numbers. A few fell, but at the end, there were 13 surviving zombies against the Velnesh on Dagmar and a full-life Sir Hawthorne. The Velnesh died to an Onslaught and Sir Hawthorne then proceeded to take down three zombies before he also succumbed to the horde.

POWER USAGE:
Shift was used liberally on this map to quickly climb each hill.
Blink triggered twice, first on a successful block on the western hill and then once on the glyph holder (who stayed put).
The Velnesh never rolled defense dice outside of Raelin's aura. It didn't significantly help them in this game.
Overall, they killed one zombie and absorbed about five attacks.

THOUGHTS:
Player 1 should've led with the Ashigaru here to get the hill sooner and reinforce before the zombies had a chance to catch-up. I tried leading a bit with Sir Hawthorne to offset the initial OMs on the Velnesh, who despite their speed, serve as poor overall defenders, but the early betrayal kind of killed that plan. Generally, this just reinforces that leading with the Velnesh is typically a bad idea--I think that they are best as endgame units or saved for when they can get the first strike with their high attack. They definitely have a high potential, but placing them in unnecessary risks typically neuters that very well.
Old June 11th, 2021, 10:07 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Thanks for testing @Astroking112 . However I think the Ashigaru is the best opponent possible for Zombies with only 1 defense they are easy replacement Zombies - even better matchup than Vipers or Cutters because at least with them you get first attack, so that game was over before it began. I would like to see Velnesh Alphas paired with either a ranged squad / multi attack hero like 10th/Stingers/Q9/Microcorp/M-43 Resistance/etc or another fast moving squad like Phantom Knights/Spiders/Greenscales/Wolves. You tested with Arrow Grits which are fast moving, but you also want to clump them together, would like to see how Velnesh Alphas does as upport spread about.
Old June 11th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Swamp Thing is a very mountainous map (it gets up to level 7), so it's tough to completely balance ranged and melee forces there. The zombies actually almost perished before they could get on even ground with the Ashigaru and Raelin, and it wasn't until they crossed to the starting zone that the game was pretty much decided. The 10th or 4th, or not spending so much early development time on the Velnesh to more fully claim one of the hills, probably would've flipped the match-up completely.

The Arrow Gruts were actually played very spread out, too, given that their player only took one Swog Rider and never really used it too much. I felt like the Velnesh were played somewhat similarly in that game, being led with a bit too early and taking some small risks that didn't pay off. In that case, they were a better offensive option for their three attacks of 4, though.

I intend to get off at least one more game with the Velnesh on this map before changing it out for another. I don't really want to pair them with A-tier ranged units because some of my previous experience with them has been that as a 90-point squad, they occupy a midpoint wherein they are often less tempting than your other offensive options and quickly die to fire, making early investments a decent risk.
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:15 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Velnesh were used in a small test here, though they didn't really get to do anything (we combined our dozen AotV cards with RotV and made a bunch of 390-ish point armies; they just happened to get matched up against Grimnak).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 23rd, 2021, 09:49 PM

destroyer has disabled reputation

I ask too many qustions, when using shift, the Velnesh can Shift to "any" space that is 2 spaces away ignoring height and line of sight?
Old December 23rd, 2021, 10:07 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
I ask too many qustions, when using shift, the Velnesh can Shift to "any" space that is 2 spaces away ignoring height and line of sight?
Yes, that's the intention.

They're spooky Stranger-things-esque aliens that don't care about los when teleporting/phasing.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 10:13 PM

Yep, they're briefly passing through another dimension, in which the same rules of physics and logic as ours may or may not apply.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 23rd, 2021, 10:23 PM

destroyer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Yep, they're briefly passing through another dimension, in which the same rules of physics and logic as ours may or may not apply.
feels awesome

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs