Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation
25 year old jailed for trolling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Facebook.html

Thoughts?

Apparently this person was mocking dead people. He was quite rude, and official action was taken:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Duffy, from Reading, who did not know any of his victims, pleaded guilty to two counts of sending malicious communications relating to Natasha at an earlier hearing. Yesterday he asked for three other cases of Facebook trolling to be taken into consideration at Reading magistrates’ court. Paul Warren, the chairman of the bench, sentenced him to 18 weeks for each of the offences to run concurrently, the maximum sentence.
He said: “You have caused untold distress to already grieving friends and family. The offences are so serious only a custodial sentence could be justified.”
The court heard that Duffy, who is unemployed, suffered from Asperger’s syndrome and lived a “miserable existence” drinking alcohol alone at home.
Duffy was also given a five year Anti-Social Behaviour Order and was prohibited from accessing websites including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bebo and Myspace.
Did he deserve to be jailed?
Should you be able to say things like this on the internet?
Should he have not been jailed but still punished somehow?
Do you think there's a line for this sort of behavior, and if so, where is it?

The full article:
Spoiler Alert!

Disclamer: If there's already a thread about this, I apologize... I couldn't find any.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: 25 year old jailed for trolling

What he deserved was to be left alone in a room with several of the more angry relatives. However, civilized society doesn't allow for that sort of thing.

Did he deserve jail? I don't know. Perhaps a better sentence would have been several hundred hours clearing graffiti, picking up trash, pulling weeds, cleaning toilets or some other activity that would benefit society.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:04 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

While he did go to extraordinary lengths the "troll" it makes me happy to know that just because you are behind a computer screen, doesn't mean you are protected from the world. I absolutely hate trolls.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Good, glad he's receiving jail time. What a complete jerkoff.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think a restraining order would have been more in keeping with US law. No reason social media contact couldn't be included in something like that. Causing emotional distress is one of those things that shouldn't send anyone to prison. Too many people "suffer emotional distress" at the drop of the hat to make for reasonable thresholds along that line of reasoning.

~Aldin, learning to ignore idiots since elementary school

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

He sould have got 30+ days in a mental rehibilitation clinic as he obviosly has issues. He will proably do worse things if not helped. The #1 goal of the justice system should be rehibilitation and number 2 goal protecting the public, but the justice system puts punishment above those two, which is why such a high percentage of people sentinced to jail come back.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I think a restraining order would have been more in keeping with US law. No reason social media contact couldn't be included in something like that. Causing emotional distress is one of those things that shouldn't send anyone to prison. Too many people "suffer emotional distress" at the drop of the hat to make for reasonable thresholds along that line of reasoning.

~Aldin, learning to ignore idiots since elementary school
I don't know, sure the line is grey in areas like this, but from what the article said, to me it sounded like he totally deserved it. I AM surprised he actually went to jail, But hopefully he'll think twice next time.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

I don't know...

If you went to jail for being rude on the internet, wouldn't Superfly be doing 25 to Life?

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Seems to set a precedent for stepping on one's first ammendment rights.

Like it or not the guy has the right to post the stuff. People who are offended by it also have the right to ignore it.

Is the guy a jackass? Of course. We can't however lock people up for simply being a jackass. if that was the case we all would probably be doing time for something someone did not agree with or had "emotional distress" over.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Nicky Flippers: We don't arrest people for being creepy.
Tommy: [into walkie-talkie] Yeah, Bruce, you know that guy we got in the tank?
Bruce: [over walkie-talkie] Ah, the creepy one?
Tommy: Yeah, better let him go.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I Need 42 Dumutefs for my Ullar army

samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby!

I really have no idea. What he did was totally wrong, but also is IS the internet. Its like fake life where you can do anything. If I was the judge I have NO IDEA what I would do... Because I cant see what law exactly he was breaking but what he was doing was wrong. And if you go with the eye-for-an-eye physiology then he probably wouldn't care. Because technically he didn't do anything except type. But also if you pay someone to kill someone then technically you didn't do it. But you would still be punished and deserve it. But what did he deserve? He was a key part in a drug addiction and a suicide.

Hello. I have updated my signature in an attempt to convey absolutely nothing, and waste your time reading this every time I post. Thank you.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I Need 42 Dumutefs for my Ullar army

samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby! samuelfrost4 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborocket View Post
Seems to set a precedent for stepping on one's first ammendment rights.

Like it or not the guy has the right to post the stuff. People who are offended by it also have the right to ignore it.

Is the guy a jackass? Of course. We can't however lock people up for simply being a jackass. if that was the case we all would probably be doing time for something someone did not agree with or had "emotional distress" over.
You are right. If you cant take idiots and jackasses, then just stay off the internet.

Hello. I have updated my signature in an attempt to convey absolutely nothing, and waste your time reading this every time I post. Thank you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General