Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart
Re: CA-SoCal Heroscapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorneedsfoodbadly View Post
I've reserved the rec. room for Saturday, 10/17.
Any strong objections?
Oh, hey, yeah: NHSD, coming up. I believe that date's good for us. I'll double check with the kids and The Mother.

How about you, @hivelord ? Will you be able to make it this year?
I'm working a different job this year so hopefully it will be easier to get the day off for it. I hope so. I haven't played in ages.
Hivelord,it would be good to see you again. It's been forever! Count me in on the 17th. Warriorneedsfoodbadly, make the page when you get a chance

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:30 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

Here it is,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...55#post2044255
Spread the word!
Old September 27th, 2015, 02:41 AM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

Hello there,
Newbie to this forum here. I am located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles. I have been playing Heroscape on and off since about 2008, mostly just fun draft games with my brother and our friends, but I am hoping to get into more competitive matches, and actually form a regular, competitive army. I am currently in Europe for a month long vacation, but hopefully I can meet and play with some of you on my return.
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver King View Post
Hello there,
Newbie to this forum here. I am located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles. I have been playing Heroscape on and off since about 2008, mostly just fun draft games with my brother and our friends, but I am hoping to get into more competitive matches, and actually form a regular, competitive army. I am currently in Europe for a month long vacation, but hopefully I can meet and play with some of you on my return.
Aww, sounds like you're going to miss our NHSD tournament, which is generally our most competitive game day of the year. But maybe we can try to come up with another game day before the end of the year; besides meeting you, I'd love to give hivelord another opportunity to play with us, since he'll also miss the tourney this year.

So hopefully we can put something together. And welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hello there,
Aww, sounds like you're going to miss our NHSD tournament, which is generally our most competitive game day of the year. But maybe we can try to come up with another game day before the end of the year; besides meeting you, I'd love to give hivelord another opportunity to play with us, since he'll also miss the tourney this year.

So hopefully we can put something together. And welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am actually almost done with my month long trip, I return on the 8th, so maybe I can make the tournament. I usually work Saturdays tho, so I will have to see my work schedule when I get back.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:27 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am actually almost done with my month long trip, I return on the 8th, so maybe I can make the tournament. I usually work Saturdays tho, so I will have to see my work schedule when I get back.
Oh, yeah: the tourney is on the 17th. Definitely see if you can make it; I hope you can! If so, pop by the NHSD thread and let us know.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, yeah: the tourney is on the 17th. Definitely see if you can make it; I hope you can! If so, pop by the NHSD thread and let us know.
I am definitely thinking about it, tho I am not at all familiar with VC scape or whatever that is. I don't really have the time to learn a whole new set of figures and how to counter them, so that kinda lessens my enthusiasm for the tournament. I also don't get the whole glyphs thing, I have never been in a HS tourney.
Old October 4th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I am definitely thinking about it, tho I am not at all familiar with VC scape or whatever that is. I don't really have the time to learn a whole new set of figures and how to counter them, so that kinda lessens my enthusiasm for the tournament.
VC, or Valhalla Customs, consists of C3V and SoV. It's the way forward for this game we love, and I bet if you check it out you'll be as excited about it as I am.

As far as not knowing how to counter the VC units, that's a fair point. But there are 247 official Heroscape units: do you really know the best strategy to use against every single one? In the heat of battle, you can't control for all the variables, and the battle plan will not survive contact with the enemy. That's what makes it exciting!

Quote:
I also don't get the whole glyphs thing, I have never been in a HS tourney.
Ahhh, I wouldn't worry about the glyphs. We always say we're going to use glyphs, but we never actually do. And as for never having been in a tourney before ... well, that'll always be true until after your first time. Just dive right in! You'll have a blast regardless of how well you do. Trust me: I've come in just shy of dead last at least twice in my 5 or 6 tourneys, and no better than dead center in all the rest. But I've had a great time every time.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 5th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Hello fellow SoCal scapers,
I was wondering if anyone in this area owned Zombie squads. I had an idea for a fun scenario for 4-7 players, but it would require like 7-12 Zombie squads.
Old October 5th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone in this area owned Zombie squads. I had an idea for a fun scenario for 4-7 players, but it would require like 7-12 Zombie squads.
My handy-dandy spreadsheet tells me I have 8 squads already opened, and 2 sitting around still in a blister pack somewhere. Although I haven't always been as diligent about keeping that updated as I should be, so I might have more (but probably not less).

Love to hear your idea ... maybe we can set up a gameday next month or something along those lines and try to bring in everyone who couldn't make tourney this year. I might have a new player to bring too (he can't make tourney due to previous plans). So we should totally try to set something up. We've been very slack lately at organizing gamedays outside of NHSD, so I'd love to have someone kick us in the pants and get us moving again ... feel free to volunteer for that position.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
My handy-dandy spreadsheet tells me I have 8 squads already opened, and 2 sitting around still in a blister pack somewhere. Although I haven't always been as diligent about keeping that updated as I should be, so I might have more (but probably not less).

Love to hear your idea ... maybe we can set up a gameday next month or something along those lines and try to bring in everyone who couldn't make tourney this year. I might have a new player to bring too (he can't make tourney due to previous plans). So we should totally try to set something up. We've been very slack lately at organizing gamedays outside of NHSD, so I'd love to have someone kick us in the pants and get us moving again ... feel free to volunteer for that position.
I can try to volunteer for that position. I tend to be the pants kicker in my own group of real life friends, so that wouldn't be anything new

So my idea for a Zombie scenario is kinda rough, so please keep an open mind and suggestions/advice are very welcome. Basically it would be a Survivors VS Zombies game, where one player controls the zombies and the other players control the survivors. The goal of the zombie player would obviously be to kill all the survivors, and the goal of the survivors would be to last 28 turns, at which they would be saved by the government (reference to the movie 28 Days Later).

Each survivor player gets 180 points to use to get his figures, and the zombie player gets 3 squads of zombies for each player. The survivor figures all have to be one-hex, unique heroes. Each player can only have one of the following in their line up: a healer or a multiple target special attacker. I don't know whether or not to allow flying, so advice about that would be welcome. There would be no multiple copies allowed for the survivors allowed, so they all couldnt just do something like each grab Kelda to heal themselves 24/7. If a survivor player has leftover points, and do not want to pick someone like Marcu or Otonashi, they can transfer points to their teammates.

The fun thing about this game would be that the survivors and the zombies would not be able to tell where the other team was. Each side would have to make their moves without the other's pieces on the board, and a non-playing referee would be in-charge of telling the teams if they bump into each other. If there is no one around to be this referee, then one of the survivor players would be the referee, and that player wouldn't be allowed to tell his team where the zombies are, or what route to take.

The map would be fairly large, with the survivors starting on one end and the zombies starting on the other. The survivors would start at one of three possible starting points, at the ends of either mountain canyons or thick jungles, with only one way out of those canyons/jungles. At the zombie player's end, there would be an open castle, where the players may barricade themselves.....if they can make it pass the zombies. Until a survivor enters the castle, the zombie player wouldn't be able to get within 3 hexes of it, so the zombie player couldn't just camp out the castle.

The zombie player would get two turns each round, until the survivors are spotted, at which time they would be allowed three turns. The purpose of this is so that the zombie player would not be able to scout out each of the 3 possible starting points of the survivors unless he stretches his hoard very thin. This would lead to some strategy on the part of the zombie player. He could send 12 zombies into one of the paths in the hope of crushing the survivors right away, or just 3 down each path in order to simply scout out the location of the survivors. A 3 zombie search party would probably be easy prey for the survivors tho, so that would be the cost of being able to search each of the 3 paths. The zombie player could also send 6 zombies down two paths, for a combination survivability and scouting. Again, it would all be about strategy for how the zombie player would want to do things.

The survivors get to move each of their heroes every round. The survivors would get to choose whether they want to put all of their team on one end of the path or split their team up, basically either safety in numbers or trying to outlast the zombie player by forcing them to search for each and every one of their heroes.

So that is my Zombie scenario in a rough nut shell. Let me know what you think about it.
Old October 14th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Sorry I haven't been able to answer this before now; I've just been busy getting ready for tourney on Saturday.

So, I really like where you're going with this idea. I think there's lots of good stuff there and I look forward to trying it out. I thinkg it just needs a few details nailed down.

Quote:
... and the goal of the survivors would be to last 28 turns, at which they would be saved by the government (reference to the movie 28 Days Later).
Do you mean 28 rounds? Later, you say:

Quote:
The zombie player would get two turns each round, until the survivors are spotted, at which time they would be allowed three turns.
and also:

Quote:
The survivors get to move each of their heroes every round.
So, a few issues here:
  • 28 rounds takes quite a while to get through.
  • It sounds like there's no OMs on these turns ... right? No issues with that while everyone is just moving, but once the attacking begins, that's a whole different story. Heroscape with no OMs can degenerate into a low-strategy slugfest.
  • Speaking from a lot of experience in multi-player games, I can tell you that balancing the points on either side is not the most important thing. It's really all about number of activtions per round. For instance, in a 2v1 game, the fact that the single player has half the number of activations as the other team just kills them. Even in a hold-the-line type scenario, where the single player holds a strong defensive position (e.g. barricaded inside a castle), the lack of activations is just devastating. What you're talking about, if I understand you correctly, is team Z gets 3 activations, and team S gets as many activations as it has figures. Let's say each survivor has 3 heroes in their 180 pts, and there are 4 survivors players. That's 12 activations vs 3. The zombie player will be crushed. Even if only 4 of the 12 have multi-target attacks, I still think the survivors take that, easily. And if I wanted to game the system, I'd take lots of low-point heroes to maximize my number of activations. They'd be easier to kill, sure, but if my team can give you 15-20 targets to spread out your 9 attacks against (and that's assuming you don't need to use onslaught to take down a high-defense hero), that just increases our survivability on top of giving us more opportunities to roll attack dice. So I think this part needs further thought.

Quote:
The fun thing about this game would be that the survivors and the zombies would not be able to tell where the other team was. Each side would have to make their moves without the other's pieces on the board, and a non-playing referee would be in-charge of telling the teams if they bump into each other. If there is no one around to be this referee, then one of the survivor players would be the referee, and that player wouldn't be allowed to tell his team where the zombies are, or what route to take.
This seems like the most logistically difficult piece to pull off. Are you thinking that all the pieces have to cleared off in between zombies and survivors and vice versa? So then everybody has to remember where all their figures were? So, if there are 4 survivors players, the zombie player has to remember where all 36 zombies were? That seems problematic. Not only will it be hard to remember the placement, but it'll also take a fair amount of time. And do the other player(s) have to leave the room while people move their figures?

Not saying it's not a cool idea. I'm just not sure how well it will work in practice.

Quote:
The survivor figures all have to be one-hex, unique heroes. Each player can only have one of the following in their line up: a healer or a multiple target special attacker. I don't know whether or not to allow flying, so advice about that would be welcome. There would be no multiple copies allowed for the survivors allowed, so they all couldnt just do something like each grab Kelda to heal themselves 24/7. If a survivor player has leftover points, and do not want to pick someone like Marcu or Otonashi, they can transfer points to their teammates.
All good rules. I would disallow the flying figures. You may also want to disallow large and huge figures. Unless you want to allow Zombie Hulks. And maybe possibly even allow team Z to use ZRA even if they have no previously destroyed zombies ... for maximum verisimilitude, don'cha know.

Quote:
The map would be fairly large, with the survivors starting on one end and the zombies starting on the other. The survivors would start at one of three possible starting points, at the ends of either mountain canyons or thick jungles, with only one way out of those canyons/jungles. At the zombie player's end, there would be an open castle, where the players may barricade themselves.....if they can make it pass the zombies. Until a survivor enters the castle, the zombie player wouldn't be able to get within 3 hexes of it, so the zombie player couldn't just camp out the castle.
I like it, in general. Only two potential issues I see:
  • Large maps take a while to build. So we have to factor that in. (And also a while to tear down ...)
  • If team S does make it to the castle and barricades themselves in, they automatically win. Because a single zombie can't hurt the door, and you can't onslaught it because you can't get 3 zombies adjacent to it. So you'd either have to remove the door (there's still an advantage to being in the castle in that the zombies have to enter single-file) or create a special rule that the zombies can onslaught the door even though they're not all adjacent to it, something like that. (Or, again, Zombie Hulks could knock down the door. Which is rather thematic, actually.) Or else just say: if team S makes it to the castle, they win. (Like Rick and his crew making it to the prison. )

Quote:
So that is my Zombie scenario in a rough nut shell. Let me know what you think about it.
I think it sounds really cool, and we just need to work out a few niggling details. I'd also love for other people to chime in with thoughts.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers