Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:59 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Superhero Campaigns

I was reading through the Heroes of 'Scape (RPG) thread, and thought, "This would be cool for superheroes." However, the approach presented in there doesn't really lend itself well to superheroes. For one thing, it doesn't include the classes and species used in Superhero HS. Plus I think it's overly complex.

What I'm looking for is a simple (elegant) way to represent gaining experience. One obvious solution is to take the D&D approach and use Treasure Glyphs. But those don't work quite so well for superheroes (IMO), don't really fit thematically, and I don't really feel like making a ton of glyphs for every hero and their personal variation of a power.

What I'd like to represent actually encompasses several "levels" of gaining experience throughout an extended campaign. By "extended campaign", I'm not talking just 3-5 scenarios in a row, I'm talking a dozen or potentially dozens of them.

This means the increases should be slow in coming and not boost a hero too much all at once. It could be as simple as Punisher finding some new weapons, on the level of Spider-Man finding a new symbiote costume, a hero changing from their early rookie days to a seasoned veteran (similar to HeroClix), or Iceman turning from a regular mutant to an Omega class mutant. Any or all of those could potentially be applicable.

Simply adding to the stats is an option I've considered, but another one I don't really like. It tends to power up the hero way too fast, and also creates and imbalance (which, I know, is kind of the point, but this approach tends to go too far after just a couple of iterations).

So I thought I'd post my goals, what I've tried that hasn't worked, and see if anyone has any suggestions for what has worked for them. Anyone interested in a brainstorming session?

Action Points
Each Unique Hero receives 1 Action Point for each full 100 points of figures destroyed.
Additional Action Points may be assigned in specific scenarios based on scenario
objectives or victory conditions. Action Points are cumulative from one game to the next
during the course of the same campaign.
Actions can be stacked - more than one can be used per turn.

Actions

UNLOCK (1)
Instead of attacking, you may open one adjacent door.

LUCK (2)
You may add 2 to one 20-sided die roll.

CRUMBLE (2)
Instead of attacking, you may destroy one adjacent battlement.

UNEXPECTED CONSEQUENCES (2)
After revealing the "X" Order Marker on this figure, you may take a turn with this figure.

STALLING TACTICS (3)
Your opponent must subtract 3 from one initiative roll.

DOUBLE TIME (3)
After taking a turn with this figure, you may take one additional turn with this figure.

HEAD START (3)
You may add 3 to your initiative roll.

CRITICAL HIT (3)
After attacking a Squad figure with a normal attack, you may automatically destroy it.

SUBTERFUGE (4)
You may subtract 3 from one 20-side die roll made by an opponent.

TRANSPORT (4)
Instead of taking a turn with this figure, you may instead place it on any empty space within 10 spaces of its original position.

INTELLIGENCE REPORT (4)
At the start of the round, choose one opponent. For this round only, that opponent must place all of his Order Markers so that they are visible to all players.

DISCOVERY (4)
Before taking a turn with this figure, you may place one unrevealed Glyph from the battlefield on this figure's card.

SMASH (5)
Instead of attacking, you may destroy one adjacent object or line of sight blocker, such as a ruin, wall, or a tree.

HEROIC DEFENSE (5)
This figure may ignore all wounds from one normal attack.

STUN (5)
You may remove all unrevealed Order Markers from an adjacent figure's army card.

DOOR BREACH (5)
Instead of attacking, you may destroy one adjacent door.

BRIDGE DEMOLITIION (5)
Instead of taking a turn with this figure, you may remove one bridge from the battlefield. The bridge cannot have any figures on it.

SUPERHUMAN DEFENSE (6)
This figure may ignore all wounds from one special attack.

SACRIFICE (6)
After taking a turn with this figure, you may destroy one figure you control and remove all Wound Markers from this figure's card.

REVIVE (6)
Instead of taking a turn with this figure, you may remove all wound markers from one adjacent Hero you control.

WALL DEMOLITION (7)
Instead of taking a turn with this figure, you may remove from the battlefield one adjacent castle wall section, and everything on top of it. The wall, or anything above it, cannot have any figures on it.

PERSUASION (7)
You may place your "X" Order Marker on an opponent's Army Card instead of your own. At the end of the round, reveal the "X" Order Marker and take a turn with that figure.

UNCANNY ( 8 )
You may add or subtract 5 from any one 20-sided die roll.

COMMANDING PRESENCE ( 8 )
After revealing an Order Marker on this figure, and before taking a turn, you may take a turn with each squad you control.

INVULNERABLE (9)
This figure may ignore one attack or special power, including a terrain effect, that would automatically destroy it without the ability to roll defense dice.

PLOT TWIST (10)
You may exchange control of one of your Unique Hero figures with another player's Unique Hero figure, both of your choosing. Your opponents figure must be equal to or lower in point cost than your figure.

CRITICAL STRIKE (10)
After attacking a Hero figure with a normal attack, you may automatically destroy it.

Last edited by GreyOwl; November 2nd, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations