Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old June 25th, 2019, 11:21 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Toog's Mods and Paints (6/25/2019)

Looking great Toog. I need to post more pics of my stuff. I did prime over 800 models last weekend though. Lots of painting ahead. Ive looked at the contrast paints but am not sold on them yet. Even though they look pretty cool.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:55 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow. After so much painting, have you gotten really fast and efficient at it? I like painting, but am quite a novice and it would take me years to paint so many. Impressive! And as always - great work!
Old June 30th, 2019, 01:00 AM

Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Looking great Toog. I need to post more pics of my stuff. I did prime over 800 models last weekend though. Lots of painting ahead. Ive looked at the contrast paints but am not sold on them yet. Even though they look pretty cool.
The contrast paints are just basically inks/washes, but flow less. I like them so far, with my favorite being Snakebite Leather, which gives a very nice brown color over a white primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Wow. After so much painting, have you gotten really fast and efficient at it? I like painting, but am quite a novice and it would take me years to paint so many. Impressive! And as always - great work!
I do spend a lot of my free time on them, but I do think I’ve becomes faster with practice. Practice with layering and using speed painting techniques such as dry brushing and washes do help to make things faster. Thanks for the compliments!
Old July 15th, 2019, 12:40 AM

Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So far I've been trying out the contrast paints some more, and have been testing out the blending and different colors. I also tried to sort of replicate the contrast paint with inks, matte medium, flow aid, and gloss medium/varnish, which ended up fairly successful (the main example is the mage knight black dragon I painted up). I got the idea from Goobertown Hobbies from YouTube, and I'm probably going to start investing in more inks than the contrast paints now.

Spoiler Alert!
Old July 15th, 2019, 03:12 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

As always they look great. Ive seen that vid that goobertown hobbies put on. Its impressive. I get pretty great results with my current speed painting techniques that I use with pretty inexpensive materials so I havent delved into the contrast paints yet. Ive thought about making my own as well. I do like the idea of multiple color washes with better pigments than I currently have. Though I primarily wash with black and brown so its not a terribly big deal. Keep up the good work. Im currently working at getting 1 unit of figures done a night before bed each day. That could be a squad of star wars legion, or a small expansion of monsters for a game, or a small box set. Ive painted another 50 models in the last week. At this rate I may paint all my minis before I die.

Old July 18th, 2019, 07:38 PM

Yeah that Goobertown video was pretty cool and has allowed me to start experimenting with the different brown and black ink I have (giving me a good amount of colors). The contrast paints are definitely expensive for what they are. I also recently have been trying to work on at least one figure a day, which has been lowering my unpainted pile, but buying new stuff makes it a somewhat consistent size.
Old July 26th, 2019, 10:30 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toogwick_tuk View Post
Yeah that Goobertown video was pretty cool...
Link?
Old July 26th, 2019, 12:16 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toogwick_tuk View Post
Yeah that Goobertown video was pretty cool...
Link?

Old August 4th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Re: Toog's Mods and Paints (8/4/2019)

It's been a while because I've been busy travelling around, so much so that I haven't been able to paint for a while, but I did take some pics I didn't post before I left. I've also recently got a lot of stuff from Miniature Market, more than doubling the amount of models I need to paint.

A warhammer dark elf sorceress to be used as a hag queen. I used this one as a test model for the witch elves I've been painting by using contrast paints as a basecoat and then layering up with normal paint. I've done a set of 10 elves with this method and they turned out nicely. Also, a reaper figure that i painted up with some contrast paints based on some art of some Cthulu mythos art work of Hastur that I liked.

Some Nolzur's mimcs I painted up to go with my bed mimic.

A mix of reaper and nolzur miniatures. Some are out of focus so i'll take pics of them later. Contrast paints are helpful for speed painting as I was able to get the halfing in the center ready to play in a d&d session in the same night, while only takeing around 30 min (including priming and sealing).

Some more figs from guildball that I painted up. They make good villagers for d&d and have nice detail.

Some reaper hellhounds I painted up with inks making an interesting lava effect by going back and making the cracks white so I could use inks to make the lava.

Some big monsters I painted up. The ettin was an experiment with the contrast flesh tones and I like how it turned out. The Crab monster was my attempt at getting an orange out of my reddish and yellowish brown inks, and I liked the color I got. The next one is a reaper mini that I'll probably use as a marro custom eventually. The last one is a red slaad that i painted up with contrast paints experimenting with the blending between the colors.

Some terrain I painted up mostly with washes. I tried a lot of mixing of the ink washes with each other to get darker tones as well as different oranges and browns.

Last edited by Toogwick_tuk; August 4th, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old August 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM
"like" happy

Looking good Toog. Thanks for sharing. Im really debating making up me of my own stuff from that goobertown hobbies video.

Old August 5th, 2019, 04:16 AM

Yeah the stuff from that video's pretty useful and all the materials used in the video have other general uses for painting. The inks can be thinned and used as washes, matte/gloss medium to thin thicker paints (and the gloss medium also acts as a varnish for glossy/slime effects) and flow aid is also useful for washes and thinning paints.
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:20 PM

Re: Toog's Mods and Paints (8/13/2019)

I've recently bought a bunch of stuff, so I'm working through that stuff right now. I'm mainly doing stuff with washes right now because I left my wet palette closed for a week causing it to grow mold. I've been drying it out and eventually will have to clean it out.

This is King Cobra from reaper minis. I painted up this guy with washes and I liked how he turned out.

https://imgur.com/fBvw6O8
These are some minis/statues that I found, but I have no idea who made them.

A Portal from Reaper miniatures that I painted up. It was a bit of a challenge to keep the purple magic effects clean from stray paints.

Some Large Reaper miniatures including a minotaur, a half-ogre, and a female devil. I had to use some green stuff on the devil to make her more safe for work.

Pit Fiend from Reaper Minis Bones 4 Kickstarter. I modded it by magnetizing him with so he could use all of his heads and hands, as well as adding armor to him with bits from my chaos warriors I didn't use.

10 Witch Aelves I painted up, I still have to build and paint 20 more of them.

Some heroquest Orcs and a goblin I found for $1 each (because most of them had their weapons chopped off).

Mummy from Reaper Miniatures that I also found in a $1 bin for some reason.

A half dragon from Sword and Sorcery I painted up. I'm going to try and paint them up to all be from different chromatic dragons.

Some Rum and Bones minis I got on sale from Miniature Market on sale. I definitely use them for D&D stuff.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions