Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old May 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!
Kaemon & Syvarris. The One-Two Punch. Accepting Suggestions!

With my recent success with my Cyprien Army, I decided to take a stab at another 500 point competitive army. Around these forums, I have heard a bit about using Kaemon Awa and Syvarris in the same army, and have taken some suggestions about how to play them.

Kaemon Awa has been one of my favorite units since I first started playing with him. I have heard many success stories from others, as well as seen personally how much damage he can do as a last-man-standing unit, or a cleanup unit.

Back in the day, when I first started playing HeroScape, Syvarris was my favorite unit. He would be the first unit I drafted in large games, as well as small games with a friend. He had me at 9 range. Add in Double Attack, and I found myself using him in almost every army I had until I began collecting more expansion packs.

Recently, I had been testing out some armies against my Cyprien army, including a Q9|Krav Maga|Raelin army, an Orc army, and other various armies. Most of the games had been close, and they had gone back and forth through most matchups. However, one day, I chose a Kaemon/Syv combo army, and it tore right through my Cyprien army, even after Cyprien got a one-hit KO Chilling Touch on Syvarris. After this, I spent some more time playing with this army, and I have come to enjoy and have success with it.

Here is the army:

Kaemon Awa - 120
Syvarris - 220
Raelin RotV - 300
Krav Maga Agents - 400
Deathreavers x2 - 480
Marcu - 500

Kaemon Awa//Syvarris - Kaemon Awa has a decent range of 7, and an average life, attack, and defense of 4. He also has Counter-Strike, and Quick Release Special Attack that allows him to attack with 4 dice twice at a range of 4. With Raelin's Defensive Aura, opponents will think twice before moving in on Kaemon to make a normal attack on him. In this army, Kaemon's specialty is staying a bit behind Syvarris, and be ready to make a move on someone coming to close. Syvarris, with his range of 9, is very good at drawing his opponents in. He has an average life of 4, but he also has a below average attack of 3, and a very low defense of 2. However, with a height advantage, and Raelin's defensive Aura, he is a very major threat to your opponent. With his Double Attack, he can attack with either 3, or 4 attack twice at a range of 9. With Kaemon Awa backing him up, your opponent will have to decide whether he wants to move in on Syvarris and have to face Kaemon Awa, or bring in a specialty unit for taking out the ranged duo. If melee attacking figures move in on Syvarris, Kaemon steps in front, deals the damage with his Quick Release Special Attack, and potentially deals damage with Counter-Strike. This combination is a very strong force that can stay on the field and deal a majority of the damage when played right.

Raelin Rotv - Raelin is one of the, if not the best unit for her Point cost. As much as I try to stay away from A+ units, Raelin works too well with the rest of the army to not have her included. Since Syvarris only has a defense of 2, defensive support is heavily needed, a boost of defense helps Kaemon Awa's Counter-Strike against melee opponents, and the Krav Maga have a better chance of survival against ranged attacks with 5 defense instead of 3. Overall, Raelin is a huge help to the entire army.

Krav Maga Agents - The Krav Maga Agents act as more of a cleanup unit than any other unit in this army. If/After the Kaemon/Syvarris combo is defeated, the Krav Maga can then step in and deal a lot of damage. If Raelin is still around, they will be much more powerful, and able to stick around against the opponents ranged units.

Deathreavers - The Deathreavers are sent out in the very beginning of the game to tie up the opponents figures so that Syvarris and Kaemon can pick them off while they are stuck. With two sets of them, the opponent will be forced to use units with special attacks to get by the deathreavers line of defense.

Marcu - Marcu is just a filler for the 20 point gap to 500 points. A typical end game unit if needed. Surprisingly, one time it came down to Marcu to finish the game for me, and he ended up winning it. It's amazing what 20 points can do nowadays in HeroScape.

Pros - This army has a lot of range, as well as many other useful traits that make it good against both ranged and melee opponents. The KMA are useful against other Ranged units, and Kaemon Awa's Counter-Strike with Raelin's Defensive Aura works well against Melee figures moving in on your army.

Cons - No bonding, and no synergy. To mobilize this army and get the Syvarris/Kaemon Awa/Raelin combo into place would take about 2 rounds worth of order markers, and this could be difficult. Also, there is no strong hitter, or any melee figures other than Marcu in this army. If the opponent also has the Krav Maga Agents, this army would have a hard time dealing with them. Also, if an opponent could take out Kaemon Awa early in the game, and move in with a melee-based army, Syvarris and the Krav Maga may not be able to handle it.

So that is my army... but I have one concern. These are all a bunch of A units thrown together into an army, and I am not sure if I want to be units that are already over-used in todays competitive armies. This is where you, the helpful community of Heroscapers, come in to help.

I definitely want to keep Kaemon, Syvarris, and Raelin. As for the other 200 points, I am completely open to suggestions. I know that since this isn't a themed army, or is really not open to any bonding or synergy since there are only 200 points left, this may be a difficult task. However, I think there may be a better alternative for the remaining 200 points in my army, and I would like to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope I can get some interesting army suggestions and ideas from other 'Scapers !

Last edited by Gomolka; May 11th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Kaemon & Syvarris. The One-Two Punch. Accepting Suggesti

I like your army idea as it is. If you are indeed just using Marcu as 'filler', then perhaps you could put in Kyntela Gwen instead? She would help boost Syvarris' defense as long as she remains adjacent to him. Otherwise, like I said, it sounds pretty solid.

And as far as A+ units go, yeah, you may have some, but you don't have Q9 in there, and that's the only one that I really dread facing.

Good luck tweaking your army.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd use this link to your Cyprien Army:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=17566

Instead of this:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...t=Cyprien+Army
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post
Thanks for that, Soul Shackle! I didn't realize that it would take everyone to the thread under Search Mode, rather than the original thread.
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

No prob!
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

I would also replace Marcu with Kyntela, just because Marcu can be very dangerous at the end game. If you wanted to use the reavers to do some glyph-grabbing, I would take out the Krav and add another squad of reavers. That leaves you with 80 points that I don't have an idea for yet. I'll think about it a bit. Hope that helps!

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

I have never played both of them together. Generally if I can't fit Kaemon, I use Syvarris and depending on the map and my starting zone. Syvarris is good for cheap shots right from the get go, which is always good. Kaemon lasts longer and usually kills more specially in closer quarter/smaller maps. With the coming of Kato and the elves, armies combining this two will be less common. For instance, Syvarris value will be better in an elf army. However, I applaud the diversity and creativity of your army.

Since you are accepting suggestions, the only thing that I would change if I were you would be to drop the Krav Maga Agents and Marcu and get the Nakitas instead. Don't get me wrong, the Kravs are great, but the Nakitas are greater (the point difference is easilly justifiable). In my experience, the Nakitas are simply awesome even without Gorillinators. They have lower range, but you already have Syvarris for that. They can protect all your units at any time if managed properly. Nevertheless, it depends on your enemy. If your enemy has a lot of special range attacks, then the Kravs are better. Therefore, the decision between the Krav and the Nakitas keeping everything else the same depends on who you are fighting against. The Krav can often be unfair. I always think that since they were in the RotV, the designers forgot to specify that Stealth Dodge only works against normal attacks. You can't go wrong either way. It's mostly a preference for the Nakitas who have done wonders for me many times.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

An interesting one to try might be:
Syvarris 100
Kaemon Awa 220
Nakita Agents 340
Gorillinators x 1 430
Theracus 470
Guilty 500

Yeah, you lose the defensive boost of Raelin, which I know you love, but you're throwing in a lot fewer A-listers, you get range protection with the Nakitas, some bonding in the Gorillinators (while maintaining glyph grabbers) and an extra double attacker in Guilty, and a quicker route to high ground for all your shooters with Theracus. Is it as competitive as your original? Probably not, but Order Marker placement should be a bit easier, and I think it'd be fun to play (not to mention devestating on a map with a lot of height).

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
Thursday Win-a-wave GenCon 2007:
Army = Syvarris, K.Awa, Krav, 2xReavers (400 pts)
Wins versus Joah, MoMo
Results 3-0
Raelin and Marcu are additions I have considered to make it a 500 point army. I have also given thought to a set of Microcorps or Snipers. I have used DED w/a 3rd set of rats to nice success. MWs and MBS is also a comfort zone for me. There are many ways to fill out that 100 points.

I do suggest relying more on the Krav earlier then mixing Syvarris and Kaemon in a bit later. The Krav set up the opponent nicely for a retaliation by Syvarris/Kaemon combo, depending on situation of course.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by Rÿchean; May 12th, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

120 Kaemon
110 Rhogar
110 Mika or Drake
100 Syvarris
60 Izumi

With Mika, you can set up Syvarris or a couple of Izumi (the screen) on shadow, or you can lead with Drake if you expect to oppose the Krav, Rhogar keeps our heroes' health up.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion