Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old May 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM

jonesey292 Woo who?
Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar

I started reading Forgotten Realms novels a couple years ago so when I heard that DnD figures were coming out for HS, my thoughts immediately jumped to Drizzt Do'Urden. I am aware that there are already a number of profiles out for Drizzt, but I noticed that all of them focus on Drizzt the warrior. This makes sense as he is primarily that. But in the books, the first friend Drizzt makes in the surface world is an elderly ranger who trains Drizzt in the ways of the woods. I have always had an affinity for Aragorn, Eragon, and other fantasy characters who use stealth skills alongside their strength so I decided to fill the gap for a Drizzt the Ranger custom. These are my first customs so I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Drizzt Do'Urden - Ullar

Tricky Drow Ranger

Medium 4

Life: 4

Move: 6
Range:4
Attack: 2
Defense: 4

Cost: 150

Twinkle and Icingdeath:
Drizzt Do'Urden may attack all adjacent figures once. When making an attack against an adjacent figure, Drizzt rolls 4 extra attack dice. Drizzt rolls attack dice separately for every figure, and each figure rolls defense dice individually.

Summon Guenhwyvar:
After taking a turn with Drizzt Do’Urden, you may attempt to summon Guenhwyvar if she is in your army and she has not yet been successfully summoned. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, you place Guenhwyvar on an empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Drizzt Do’Urden. When Guenhwyvar is summoned, you may immediately take a turn with her.

The Hunter:
While Drizzt is your only figure on the battlefield, add 2 to his Move, Attack, and Defense, and reduce his Range to 1.

Guenhwyvar - Ullar

Loyal Panther Scout

Small 3

Life: 3

Move: 8
Range: 1
Attack: 4
Defense: 3

Cost: 50

Drizzt's Summon:
Guenhwyvar does not start the game on the battlefield. She must be summoned onto the battlefield by Drizzt Do’Urden.

Feral Pounce Special Attack:
Range 3. Attack 5. After moving and instead of attacking normally, choose a non-adjacent figure whose base is not higher or lower than 5 levels from the base of Guenhwyvar. This figure rolls 2 less defense dice with a minimum of 1 defense die. If the figure is destroyed, immediately place Guenhwyvar on the space the figure occupied. If the figure is not destroyed, destroy Guenhwyvar.

Climb x3: When moving up or down levels of terrain, Guenhwyvar may triple her Height.

Phantom Walk:
Guenhwyvar can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

I tried to capture Drizzt's essence of being more than just a simple melee fighter by giving him ranged attacks, but also an ability to increase his melee attack similar to Agent Carr's while also allowing him to engage multiple enemies. For those of you who have read the books, Drizzt's "Hunter" persona should come as no surprise either. Guenhwyvar's Feral Pounce Special Attack is a modification of the normal pounce found on the Wolves of Badru card. I wanted to take away the restriction of only attacking small/medium figures, and I also wanted to make the attack slightly more powerful than the Wolves'.
I will post pictures of the models once I have them finished, but for now I am using Isamu and one Wolf when playing Drizzt and Guen in games. Like I said, these are my first so please give me any ideas you may have.

Last edited by jonesey292; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: feedback
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM

jonesey292 Woo who?
Re: Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar

Also, I had help playtesting/designing from jonesdrew77 and my brother Jesse.

Last edited by jonesey292; May 30th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM

Gypsy has disabled reputation

Thanks! I've owned the Legend of Drizzt Scenario Pack from the Icons series siince it came out & have hoped someone would do this. Are you working on Icingdeath & Wulfgar, too?

I'm going to make an offer here, to the custom card creators on the site, I'll gladly generously pay whomever wants to help make the cards for the custom D&D figures that I can talk jonesy292 into producing & testing.

Matter of fact, jonesy292, you fall into that category also. If you'd like to make & playtest D&D customs that I need, I'd gladly make it worth your efforts.

Anyone interested PM me, I don't want to mess up jonesy's thread with a bunch of offers.

Thank You!

Jonesy, Keep up the Good Work!

"Finally, a New Exit from the Underdark..."
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

The wording for Summoning Guenhwyvar is a bit awkward... below are a fet edits on the wording:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesey292 View Post
Summon Guenhwyvar: After taking a turn with Drizzt Do’Urden, you may attempt to summon Guenhwyvar if she is in your army and has not yet been successfully summoned. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, place Guenhwyvar on an empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of Drizzt Do’Urden. If you cannot place Guenhwyvar on the battlefield, she is immediately destroyed and cannot be summoned again. When Guenhwyvar is summoned, you may immediately take a turn with her.
Two major fixes:

-Removed "you must" when you place Guenhwyvar. Since the power is optional and only used when the player wants to summon Guen, it's somewhat redundant to say that you must place her if you're successful.

-Struck out the sentence about destroying Guen if she cannot be placed. Again, becuase the power is optional, players would not try to summon her if there was nowhere to place her.

Otherwise, the figure looks balanced, comparable to Carr with a +4 Sword, but better statistic-wise. If I was to pick at the minor details, I'd say 150-160 is a slightly more accurate priced, since The Hunter will be a rarely used power- the stat boosts are significant, but worth a lot less then it initially seems.

On the other hand, I cannot seem to see any major problems with Guen. Given the risk of Feral Pounce whiffing and her general fragility, 50 is a fair enough price.

Strategically, the two work well together- Attack with Drizzit, wounding a Hero significantly, summon Guen, then Pounce for the kill. I wouldn't rely on the strategy too often, though it'd be a great moment if you kill Q9 with that combo.

After the initial turn with Guen, though, OM management would likely become a bit of problem. If you wanted to keep Guen alive, you'd have to have a good defensive base or use Drizzit strategically to wipe out groups of figures easily. Given that they're supposed to be partners, it makes me question the total price of 220. Bonding may not work, though, and each figure already has 3-4 powers...

But I'll quiet down for now. As my rampant theorying indicates, I like these customs quite a bit. +rep coming your way, sir; hope to see figures soon.

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM

jonesey292 Woo who?

Thank you both. Vilsara, i'm glad you thought of the bonding too. i'd considered it but thought it might be too many powers. What would you think of writing some sort of bonding (perhaps only movement) into the summoning power? Or maybe combine climb and phantom walk into some sort of "hunting/stalking" ability. And sorry about the awkwardness of the writing in said summoning power. I just copied and pasted from Iskra/Rechets and changed the names. Gypsy, expect a pm soon.

There have been many times in my life when I have felt helpless. It is perhaps the most acute pain a person can know, founded in frustration and ventless rage.

-Drizzt Do'Urden

Last edited by jonesey292; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:30 AM
The Closer

Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My only concern with drizzt is his range of 5. Granted it's only an attack of 2 but still mager ranged attacks like that tend to be reserved for actual ranged units. Yes I know Drizzt is a ranger but he is a ranger that dosen't use a bow that often. His abalities are mainly melee, thus why everyone else has gone the melee path with him. I'd suggest at most a range of 3. Other then that the stats on both are nice.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM

jonesey292 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidicul View Post
I know Drizzt is a ranger but he is a ranger that dosen't use a bow that often. His abalities are mainly melee, thus why everyone else has gone the melee path with him. I'd suggest at most a range of 3. Other then that the stats on both are nice.
Well I looked back through the official cards, and it looked like most range-specific units have at least 6, including Carr who is another hero that's powerful close-up but has a range attack just in case. Even Tandros Kreel has R5 A2 like this Drizzt custom. But perhaps you are right. I will meet you half way and make him R4. Thanks for the input.

There have been many times in my life when I have felt helpless. It is perhaps the most acute pain a person can know, founded in frustration and ventless rage.

-Drizzt Do'Urden
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
The Closer

Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hidicul wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesey292 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidicul View Post
I know Drizzt is a ranger but he is a ranger that dosen't use a bow that often. His abalities are mainly melee, thus why everyone else has gone the melee path with him. I'd suggest at most a range of 3. Other then that the stats on both are nice.
Well I looked back through the official cards, and it looked like most range-specific units have at least 6, including Carr who is another hero that's powerful close-up but has a range attack just in case. Even Tandros Kreel has R5 A2 like this Drizzt custom. But perhaps you are right. I will meet you half way and make him R4. Thanks for the input.
Mabey I kinda forgot about Car Still a I think a range of 4 works fine. Nice work, nice job of takeing critizim and nice comprimise. + rep for you and keep up the good work.
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

I, also having read the forgotten realms novels would put drizzt under vydar. It fits his personality more. For comparison, I will post my stats for him soon.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM

oracle92 knows what's in an order marker oracle92 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
I, also having read the forgotten realms novels would put drizzt under vydar. It fits his personality more. For comparison, I will post my stats for him soon.
I don't know why you would think that. I mean, he's a ranger and he worships a nature god. Ullar seems right up his ally.

The dice help those who help themselves.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM

PooEater Woo who?

I know this thread is like 3 years old but I tried my hand at the card (first time btw) minus Gwen... if you guys like it I could go forth to do the Gwen fig and updated Drizzt

Old April 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice looking card, watch out for the order of characteristic on the left side.

It should read:
Drow
Unique Hero
Ranger
Tricky

You're also missing Summon Gwen ability but this is a whole lot better than I could do...well done and welcome to the site!

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs