Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old August 20th, 2020, 07:02 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: A Melee Perspective on the HeroScape Power Rankings

I feel like Raelin is only limiting to your mobility if you choose to play that way. The reason Knights/Raelin can be so good is that because of their base 4 def, they aren’t scared to leave her aura, unlike other armies you would play Raelin with. Put one OM on Raelin early to protect your slow roll, and then on an OM 3 throw her right in the middle of the action and make your opponent choose between 6 def Knights or spending multiple turns ignoring the Knights to kill Raelin.

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old August 20th, 2020, 11:22 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
I feel like Raelin is only limiting to your mobility if you choose to play that way. The reason Knights/Raelin can be so good is that because of their base 4 def, they aren’t scared to leave her aura, unlike other armies you would play Raelin with. Put one OM on Raelin early to protect your slow roll, and then on an OM 3 throw her right in the middle of the action and make your opponent choose between 6 def Knights or spending multiple turns ignoring the Knights to kill Raelin.
You can certainly play Raelin with knights, sure. That doesn’t necessarily make them better. Every order marker you put on Raelin is 8 knights that didn’t move. It’s also sacrificing a squad of knights. That’s 4 more guys with 3 atk and 4 def.

What happens when you move Raelin to a perch and the 4th mass just stay 6 spaces out and pick off the wings? Do you just leave the aura and engage, if so why bother with Raelin? Do you sacrifice moving 8 knights and possibly 4 attacks by moving Raelin up?

I’m not saying knights with Raelin is bad. I’m saying knights without Raelin is better. I’m also talking pure melee bonding. Like I mentioned earlier I’ve seen Chris Perkins use knights, Thorgrim, Raelin as a wall of sorts for his ranged units, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 20th, 2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Imagine a world without Raelin...
Old August 20th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

The Perkins Pod uses the Knights as defense, not offense. The range units are the offense in that army, which is vastly different than how traditional Gilbert and X Knights works.

That being said, Raelin Knights isn’t bad, but if I’m not going straight Knights, I’m probably bringing Nilf instead. There’s a reason that 3x Knights, Gilbert, Nilf has won Jandar at least once (my dad won Jandar in 2013 or 2014 with that, and I don’t think he was the first).
Old August 20th, 2020, 12:40 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
The Perkins Pod uses the Knights as defense, not offense. The range units are the offense in that army, which is vastly different than how traditional Gilbert and X Knights works.
That's a great way to put it.

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 20th, 2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I also like the term Perkins Pod
Old August 20th, 2020, 03:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I also think it's interesting that Greenscales, which a lot of people were worried about being broken way back in the day, are considered to have a pretty bad melee matchup so aren't that scary.

My loss in day 2 was to Knights, so that mostly checks out with my limited experience with Greenscales competitively. Before I played that Arrow Grut build in 2011, I think I went 2-4 with the Greenscales at the TTO in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Dysole; August 20th, 2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 09:42 AM

I have updated the most important power rankings with the new AoA stuff. Obviously, most of it is speculation at this point, but I’m a pretty smart guy.

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; March 9th, 2024 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Humility at it’s best
Old March 9th, 2024, 10:20 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I have updated the most important power rankings with the new AoA stuff. Obviously, most of it is speculation at this point, but I’m a pretty smart guy.
Modest too!
Old March 9th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

If you got it, flaunt it and the mighty Mac has it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion