Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old August 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Billgod has disabled reputation
Would anyone be interested?

We have had an issue for several years with picking teams. We play on a large board with teams of over 1000 points each. Picking teams was taking over an hour.

I created a website in PHP and MYSQL for picking teams.

heres how it works.

add users with username password and email address.
All characters are already added to the database. You can select copy character to add more than 1 of any set.
you can create a game with the description point values date and time
an email is sent out automatically to all players informing them there is a game with all the details.
when you log in. You can see all the scheduled games. click on join game to add yourself to the list. I have mine set to 6 players max after that the join button changes to FULL
When you click join the site "rolls" a die for you. 1-255 It automatically places you on the board to pick your team and tells you what day you can pick your team.
When it's your turn to pick your team. You log in and click pick team. a list of all the characters available show up. You can sort by EVERY thing from name to point value to species. The cards are shown on the left side and when click on pop up to become readable.
Once you select a character it is removed from the list and your points available decrease by that amount.
if you over select points a new window comes up and tells you that you have to remove some points.
once your points are =< the points set for the game you click finished and your name shows up on the main screen as team picked.
After the game is over you can close the game and select a winner from a drop down that only shows people in the game.
There is a leader board that shows the top players by how many games they won.
There is also a section to go back and look at teams you have chosen in the past.
When you are ready to play the "Admin" on the site clicks on show teams and it will list all the players followed by what characters they picked. It prints off nice and neat too.

A couple of quick notes.
You cannot view any other players teams at any time.
I AM NOT a software developer. I took this as an opportunity to learn PHP. I am sure there are several flaws in my code and sure there are WAY better ways to do what I did. The admin screen is a little clunky since I am the only one who has ever seen it. The users screens seem to work out since even new players don't really have any issues picking teams.

If people have any interest in this. I will attempt to clean up the site a little bit and post the source code. I could even put up a demo site.

We have been using this site for about a year now and it has worked pretty flawlessly.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Would anyone be interested?

What's the URL?
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't know PHP but I am a software developer. This sounds very interesting. I would consider using this for my games, and would take a look at the source code if you wanted to display it.

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

I've done tons of web applications (it's what I do for a living). Mostly in other languages, but some in PHP. So let me know if you get stuck...
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I think this idea has a lot of merit if it could be used as a tool to draft armies rather than just picking armies. It would necessitate being able to see what your opponent(s) have already selected, but otherwise this sounds like a really good start to having a viable automated draft system for events. I think that drafting armies is really overlooked in the realm of competitive play. A really big part of that is practicality. It just isn't very practical to set up an event and then spend the first few minutes of playing time selecting armies. It would be very cool to be able to draft before an event, but still draft.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM

sloanburger is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

My friends and I have been trying to find a way to do this for quite some time I would like to see how the site works, and maybe build one like it. we only play once in a while and would much rather jump right into the game.
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Ok I have setup the demo site. Images have been shrunk down to unreadable due to not wanting to kill my bandwidth. Before you log in keep this in mind.

1. Site is NOT designed for multiple people logged in under the same name (not sure whats gonna happen)
2. I did not setup access to the admin portion for 2 reasons. A. its really clunky since I am the one who made it and am the only one who uses it. B. Some tool will just log in and delete everything cause they think their cool.
3. I AM NOT a software developer. This is my FIRST php site. I know I am passing variables in the url and doing a lot of things I should not be. This started off as a learning thing and actually worked the way we wanted it to so we used it.

Usernames are heroscapers, heroscapers2 and heroscapers3
password is demo for all users.

You can join a game and pick your team.. if a team is already picked for your user just remove yourself from the game then rejoin it.

PLEASE don't suck up my bandwidth. It's hosted at godaddy and I only have so much. If it starts to take up too much I will have to pull the demo.

http://heroscape.insta-tek.com

Be easy on me when commenting about how it sucks.
If it gets a decent response I will post the code and sql once I make the admin a little less clunky.

And YES i know its riddled with security flaws. Your not COOL by pointing them out or exploiting them. This website was designed for me and my group of friends. Not a bank.

Last edited by Billgod; August 5th, 2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Future things

This is the list of to-do's for the site.

1. create autopick feature for random team generation
2. have a dropdown of game types and set the selection rules accordingly (like hero only games or only 1 hero per team)
3. the feature of viewing past teams needs to show you what chars are available for the current game and let you select from there. (basically repick that same team.
4. Be able to select QTY of a common character. (like a shopping cart) instead of having to select them 1 at a time.

The cool thing about the site is when you are ready to play. You just print off the team lists. You can pull all the chars from your wall or how ever you store them and have them setup ready to roll when everyone shows up.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That looks really cool. I didn't go creating any games because I didn't want to use much of your bandwidth, but already it looks like something that would be very useful. Are you looking to market this? If not, you might want to make it downloadable, so people can host it from their own webpages, or test and alter it as they desire. Also, I would also be interested in using this as a way to draft armies. Not sure if you've seen The Surprisingly Tart Heroscape Draft Wizard, which my friends and I currently use. It randomly generates armies based on how many of each unit you have, which is permanently modifiable with a text file.

"Anti"-Oxymoron
I'm anti-fashion, anti-religion
Anti-police and anti-system;
Anti-commercial and anti-prison,
Anti, anti-everything.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM

If you ever need a better place to host it, let me know. I have my own domain and can host it for you. The bandwidth generated by this should be fairly insignificant, as my domain is a commercial one. It runs LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP), so if your app fits that we should just be able to copy it over. Or if it doesn't fit that, maybe we can convert it easily. Not sure if you're using PHP in Windows or Linux.

I can do it free of charge as long as you don't need a custom domain name or anything (my domain is hiddendragon.com, so the URL would be something like "http://www.hiddendragon.com/WHATEVER". If you want a custom subdomain (like www.myheroscapetool.com), I think they charge like $15/month for that.
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM

I am not looking to market this at all. If people like it. I will post the code everyone to use. a LAMP server is all you need (with sendmail) I will try and clean up the code for the next week or so then make it available for everyone.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software