Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:43 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Price?

I've played quite a few games with it, and quickly pulled out HS terrain to use. As for the $30 price tag, it's not worth it IMHO. I picked up 2 copies and am in the process of painting all the unpainted figures and re-basing all of them (the bases are the same quality plastic as the figures, many of mine came warped).

The cardboard board would have been fine, had it connected to actual HS terrain and not just have the hexes printed on it (and both my copies opened to having damaged cardboard in different places). And the cards can be made at home without a problem, but they just make the games really swingy and there are some completely broken combos with them.

$30 would be completely worth it if all the figs were painted. I'd even have been okay with $40 retail at that point. For reference: Arkham Horror base game was $40, and we play that regularly and it comes with much more in the box (granted, not plastic minis). One Night Ultimate Werewolf is overpriced at $25 for the little it comes with and feel like a much better buy than Arena of the Planeswalkers, which lasted my gaming group less than 2 weeks before we decided to retire it for good.
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

My FLGS ordered two, which they already have orders for. One is for me. They are charging $40 which I'm willing to pay to support a local shop. But they are still waiting to get them and don't know when they will come in. They are a big MTG retailer too and have tournaments there and stuff. It sucks that they are getting screwed by the manufacturer and the distributor. They offered me a refund but I told them I still want to support them and realize it's not their fault. If I see it in a big box store first I will buy it and return my FLGS copy to them when it comes in.
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:02 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
My FLGS ordered two, which they already have orders for. One is for me. They are charging $40 which I'm willing to pay to support a local shop. But they are still waiting to get them and don't know when they will come in. They are a big MTG retailer too and have tournaments there and stuff. It sucks that they are getting screwed by the manufacturer and the distributor. They offered me a refund but I told them I still want to support them and realize it's not their fault. If I see it in a big box store first I will buy it and return my FLGS copy to them when it comes in.
Sounds like WotC's usual MO. Highly wanted product, small release, and any given FLGS gets maybe two that sell for way above MSRP. (Commander's Arsenal, Modern Master, Conspiracy, yearly Commander product, etc.)

Hope it comes in soon for you!
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:19 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Hi guys I want to know what the lowest price I can hope in order to get this game?

EDIT: I found it about 30$, way too expensive in my opninion. I'll wait for a bargain.
I wish you luck in your quest for a cheap copy. Retailers get it for between $22-$24 per copy depending on volume.

About the only way you'll see it going cheaper than that is through firesales and perhaps used copies. Many retailers, in an attempt to actually make it worth their time to stock it, mark it up 40%. I feel bad for the LGS's trying to compete with Big Box shops in this regard.

Considering how well this is selling out, you'll be waiting a while for those sales.
I also feel bad for the FLGS in this regard, but believe that this mass-marketing to the Big Box Stores by the mega-corporation Hasbro (which by the way is primarily a TOY Manufacturer NOT a game designer), - is typical of their business model to gain a profitable return on their investments for the benefit of their share holders, and not the enjoyment of the gaming community. In a way, I wish that this new game had been a KickStarter Project with a limited production run, instead of such a huge undertaking without prior support from the fans.

I am hoping that most of the FLGS's, which usually have at least one day per week set aside for Magic: the Gathering events will embrace this new game enough, in spite of their feelings toward Hasbro, to enable and support tournaments to draw the sleeping HeroScape community out of their doldrums and back into the limelight of open participation in the gaming community.

Meanwhile, although I do wish that M:tG-AotP had more plastic terrain, better cardstock, common squads, and painted squad mini's, I still feel that it is worth the $30 price tag. But it's funny that I have seen it in different Walmarts for both $29.82 and $28.82 compared to the $29.99 at Target.

IF... Hasbro has over-produced this game expecting it to be a big hit with the CCG players (as I suspect), and it doesn't become a huge success among HeroScapers to completely sell out by Christmas (as I fear), THEN... there will be plenty on them available cheap enough for anyone to afford about one year form now when the excess inventory is discounted and moved to the Clearance aisles.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

They really should have gotten it into the hands of the FLGSs first to let them try to sell a few copies before they have to compete with the big box stores.
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I am hoping that most of the FLGS's, which usually have at least one day per week set aside for Magic: the Gathering events will embrace this new game enough, in spite of their feelings toward Hasbro, to enable and support tournaments to draw the sleeping HeroScape community out of their doldrums and back into the limelight of open participation in the gaming community.
The base game is not nearly enough for tournaments. The only real customization that exists is the deck of cards. Not only that, but scenarios go to 60 (!!What?!) rounds before a winner is declared via points (as opposed to 10-12 rounds for Heroscape). Maybe in the future, but not now. Not with Return to Zendikar weeks away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnge View Post
IF... Hasbro has over-produced this game expecting it to be a big hit with the CCG players (as I suspect), and it doesn't become a huge success among HeroScapers to completely sell out by Christmas (as I fear), THEN... there will be plenty on them available cheap enough for anyone to afford about one year form now when the excess inventory is discounted and moved to the Clearance aisles.
I have yet to play personally with my weekly M:tG cube group, but they were not fans of the game. They played Dominion and Carcassonne the rest of the night. While it might be different in other groups, a majority of these guys eat up whatever WotC puts out, regardless of quality. Heroscape-driven purchases will drive sales, IMO. It's too different from M:tG, and not a simple game to grasp the basics of.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:55 AM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker

I got 5 copies on Amazon for $30 each
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:19 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

I am quite happy with the $29.82 Price Point. My local Walmart had it for $0.17 cents less than my nearest Target store, and had it in stock two weeks sooner. I've already bought two sets. One I will keep strictly M:TG-AotP with the flat cardboard maps and maybe integrate an extra HeroScape squad for each PW. The other one will be completely integrated into my existing HS collection as just another Wave of figures ( five heroes and ten squads for <$30 = awesome ) as soon as someone re-does their stat card into the standard HS format.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:11 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Me and my brothers absolutely love this game. None of us are magic the gathering players and because of me, all regular heroscape players. We quickly discarded the cardboard back into the box.(It does work well for traveling though.) We generally play on heroscape terrain because, well you get it. For 30 dollars this is a great deal. Think of what you would have to pay per figure for other games. Its at least a dollar a piece. This is 30 unpainted figures, 5 painted figures, dice, wound markers, cards,(I actually like the magic cards, it adds a twist.), and some less than par terrain. But hey, I can't complain, its another Heroscape type game with a twist, and its fun.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:15 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Price is down to about $20 now.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 9th, 2015, 12:25 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Foudzing
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Old November 9th, 2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Which is less than what the FLGS pay for it at wholesale. Great job looking out for the little guys (who sell most of your product and host in-store events) there WotC.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion