Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM

Ted_Danson is surprisingly tart
The End of Faith by Sam Harris

This book is amazing. I am not very far into it, but so far it makes a lot of great points that aren't all extremes. It focuses on a lot of different aspects of faith and is pretty hardcore about it. I think that everyone should at least read it, but it is a book you have to read with an open mind.

I won't comment too much more, but if you have read it I'd love to talk about it.

Huggable Zombie, KingArthur1976, Utgarsrage, and Scapegeek are all great traders.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The End of Faith by Sam Harris

I haven't read it, but I have read a few of his articles (I usually agree with the overarching points but disagreeing in significant ways too). I like the idea of having one of our somewhat free-wheeling hot topic throwdowns being grounded in some specific readings though: that focus might make them more interesting and/or productive.

Maybe rather than a book we could find some of his other writing? (Or some other writing entirely, if people like the idea but not the author.)

Actually, a more extensive book club idea might work too. I've never been involved in one but that seems like it might take a little more commitment (but maybe that threshhold commitment would translate into better conversation?). Thoughts?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Sounds good to me! I'll finish this book over the next week, so in that time we can find some articles as well.

I think a debate in this topic won't get as crazy or heated as it would out in Gen Pop, only because there aren't a ton of people looking over the books topics to argue.

I look forward to it!

Huggable Zombie, KingArthur1976, Utgarsrage, and Scapegeek are all great traders.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM

My wife took this book to work with her, so I have not been able to finish it yet. I did watch a great debate on the Jewish TV Network on-line between Sam Harris and Rabbi Wolpe.

http://www.jewishtvnetwork.com/?bcpi...tid=1329234778

This is a very intense rational debate, and I watched it for an hour and a half without ever realizing how long it was.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books