Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 9th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: How do you use Marro well?

It wouldn’t even occur to me to run Stingers x4 in a home game, or to suggest to someone else that fewer than that isn’t enough.

Two is enough to splash into an army, and you have all the minis you could need to proxy more if you want.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 9th, 2020, 04:42 PM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker
Re: How do you use Marro well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
I don't know what the Jandar army looked like but the biggest flaw I see with the Marro army you posted is that it is mostly high cost, single attack heroes. A somewhat simplistic view of the how to win the game is to maximize the number of attack dice you roll per order marker. When looking at an army through this lens, suddenly the 50 point Marro Warriors are doing more work per turn than the 160 point Su-Bak-Na.

IMO, the Hive is never worth its points, it cant move, its attack is terrible, in this army composition it would need to rebirth 8 Stingers in order to make its points back. Rebirth happens 40% of the time, so the other 60% an order marker on the stingers is objectively better. It could possibly have use to simplify order markers if you're running multiple different common squads, say 2x Stingers, 2x Drones, 2x Drudge, then you get a shot at rebirth each turn and 3 options of squads to activate each OM. In the army you listed above, its 160 points of dead-weight.

Stingers, in large numbers, are the gold standard for a 3 person ranged squad and are arguably one of the easiest units to play. Their stats start good, they don't need to meet any conditions to become good or to boost their stats, such as squads like the Mohecans need to. I like to play them at 4 squads minimum. It is also worth noting that a critical rule to follow while playing with stingers is to never use stinger drain. There, of course, are exceptions to this rule, but more often than not its not worth it.

Marro Warriors are one of the best unique squads in the game. Not because they kill everything all the time but because they almost always kill more than 50 points. With 6 move and 6 range they are very maneuverable. They can spread out and cover a very large area of the board and threaten everything with 4 attacks of 3 (assuming height, which you should have). Once one or two fall they have the opportunity to respawn themselves so they don't have the weakness that most other unique squads have. Other uniques lose value once their numbers dwindle, but the MWs stay threatening with even one left. Good for a few first round attacks or gylph grabs and if you keep on safe, they can clone and come back in the endgame to clean up.

Ne-Gok-Sa and Me-Burq-Sa are significantly worse by themselves or with other marro, then when they are with a unit that bonds with them such as the Romans or the Death Chasers.

Kee-Mo-Shi is bad. Don't play her.

Su-Bak-Na isn't great. Essentially you're paying 160 points to have a Glyph of Lodin. not worth it. Adding a few squads of Nagrubs makes him better, but Tor-Kul-Na and Wo-Sa-Ga are strictly better with Nagrubs.

Assuming you have access to all the SotM figures. The 710 point army I would make is...

Ne-Gok-Sa
Su-Bak-Na
Tor-Kul-Na
2x Marrden Nagrubs
2x Marro Stingers
Marro Warriors
700 Points, 21 spaces
There's some great advice here, but wanna add a couple things.

Su-Bak-Na is excellent when used with certain units, namely Stingers and Dividers. SBN w/3x Dividers bumps their chances of surviving an attack to 25%! (16 - higher!) That's HUGE. Not sure if you have any dividers, but if you get your hands on them use 'em, or proxy them.

My fave Marro Hero is by far Tul-Bak-Ra. His teleportation ability gives him HUGE mobility. Plus when he takes damage he can summon marro reinforcements, (i.e. stingers/dividers) to swarm the enemy. I nearly always rush him outta the start zone and clock someone with 4-5 dice depending on height, then smile as they hit him for 2-4 wounds and summon a chunk of my army next to him. Dividers are perfect for this, since they can just sit there and take shots while your Stingers move into position.

Never been a huge fan of Tor-Kul-Na tbh, although his potential to go on a rampage with grubs nearby is dangerous. I'd prefer SBN since he's much cheaper, or even WSG, although she is admittedly a bit more fragile.

For 50 points MBS is still great by himself, with or without bonding options, and NGS is a great glyph grabber. (Good luck getting thru 6 defense/5 life.)

Here's a reliable 500 pt army that works for me, if you wanna test it out:

Dividers x 3 - 150
Stingers x 2 - 120
Tul-Bak-Ra - 130
MBS and Marro Warriors = 50 + 50 = 100

= 500.

(Or sub in NGS + Isamu for 100 if there's a good glyph face up you wanna grab.)

Another one:

SBN - 160
Dividers x 3
Tul-Bak-Ra - 130
Marro Warriors - 50
Isamu - 10

= 500

Yeah I'm a big fan of SBN as well, especially since I get really lucky rolling 19's on NGS. My collection is pretty limited but I have a bunch of stuff coming friday including drones x4 and MBS. I can always print and laminate a divider card and proxy the units to try them.

I'll give the first army a shot with both dividers and drones as I don't have Isamu or Tul-Bak-Ra and I don't want to proxy everything. Another thing I learned recently reading up more on strategy is the amount of army cards you want to have to move untis efficiently so that will help out a lot too as I think I've been using too many cards. I should have a good amount of data to look back on by the end of the weekend with all of these suggestions though.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion