Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of the Fen Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carakki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
The Hydra is an absolute beast, and I think the single best candidate for any kind of boost. Move glyph or Eldgrim's spirit? Bump this lizard up a bit and get it to the fight quicker. Raelin or Thorgrim? Go from 6 to 7 on the defense and keep the Lawnmower alive even longer. Taelord or Finn? 4 attacks of 4 are good, 4 attacks of 5 are better.
The Viking champions can't boost the Hydra with their spirits; they can only be placed on unique Army Cards.
Uncommons are uniques for everything except army building.
Grungebob confirmed this in the "Ask the Design Team" thread -- yes a uncommon hero can receive a viking spirit.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I know this has been said in other threads, but hero really shines in a lot of aspects of this game.

1: 4 attacks of 4 is nothing to sneeze at. While the Hydra may not get all 4 attacks in all the time, when it comes up against a hero, it is a good bet that the Hydra will come out on top

2: 4 life is a good solid amount of life. It works for both Majors Q9 and 10 and it works here as well.

3: 6 defense is A LOT. This easily provides protection against squads (both ranged and melee) for the most part. Drop in a form of defense enhancement and its defense is very daunting.

4: Reach, a new and powerful aspect to this game. It may not seem like much, but with an option for multiple attacks, increasing the threat range even by this 1 hex can have a great effect. This increases the sphere of influence of a screening hydra as well.

There are obviously other qualities that make the Hydra impressive, but these 4 really stand out to me as the most dominating.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM

LUCKE13 knows what's in an order marker LUCKE13 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Reach, a new and powerful aspect to this game. It may not seem like much, but with an option for multiple attacks, increasing the threat range even by this 1 hex can have a great effect. This increases the sphere of influence of a screening hydra as well.
I've had good luck so far reaching over my melee screen with the Hydra. If you can reach a hero over the screen, all the better. The hard part comes when you try to coordinate advancing the screen and hydra(s). I've actually had better luck with multiple Hydras since that gives you multiple options. Bonding would have been beneficial here, but I think this limitation goes a long way to balance this figure. Good job play-test team!
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I have found that the Fen Hydra is greatly balanced - it will fall to frenzied attacks from the Aubrien Archers, backed up by Tagawa Samurai Archers, but not before taking out a few of the archers and killing Kaemon Awa.

My initial impression was that Move 5 made Slither kind of useless - but then I realized the Point of Slither is not to that to make it "at home" in water, but instead to ensure that it is not slowed down on maps with water in the way.

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM

drewcula knows what's in an order marker drewcula knows what's in an order marker
Question Re: The Book of the Fen Hydra

I ran into this situation last night and would appreciate any clarity:
Fen Hydra uses 'reach' to attack a Zettian Guard. The Zettian Guard is standing beside a jungle tree. Does the Guard receive an extra defense die? We applied the jungle tree defense with the raitonale that 'reach' is now a 'non-adjacent' normal attack.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcula View Post
Fen Hydra uses 'reach' to attack a Zettian Guard. The Zettian Guard is standing beside a jungle tree. Does the Guard receive an extra defense die? We applied the jungle tree defense with the raitonale that 'reach' is now a 'non-adjacent' normal attack.

Thanks in advance.
You played correctly.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You played correctly.
The same thing applies if Jotun is standing next to a figure, uses Wild Swing, and a figure on the other side of the target is next to a jungle tree.

Jotun Target1 Target2 JungleTree

Target2 gets the bonus.

Old March 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You played correctly.
Agreed and Book-ed.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You played correctly.
Agreed and Book-ed.
Great point! In a recent game, the Hydra tried to stay two spaces away from the Tagawa Samurai Archers, so as not to give Counter Strike to them, but they rushed up and engaged. Unforunately for them (and happily for Chas, there was never a surplus of shields rolled anyway. But we still won!

Last edited by Taeblewalker; March 30th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

It also ignores the Warriors of Ashra melee defense. This came in very handy with a rat in between my Hydra and his WoA, hehe. Hydras also shred heroes, I took out Tandros in one turn. Honestly, I was really impressed with the hydra, and the fact that you can draft more than one in case you lose one early. Just one of mine did over 300 points of damage!

Dustin
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM

Red_Sox_1 is surprisingly tart

OK so the Hydra has four points marked on the card to determine line-of-sight from. When using the Reach power, line of sight is required as it is a ranged attack. So what would the rule be about using the different targeting points? Can you use one targeting point for more than one attack in one turn? Thematically, it wounds like each targeting point should be used once if the Hydra has enough lives left to attack multiple times, but to my knowledge the rulebook says nothing on this subject. Just wondering...
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Sox_1 View Post
OK so the Hydra has four points marked on the card to determine line-of-sight from. When using the Reach power, line of sight is required as it is a ranged attack. So what would the rule be about using the different targeting points? Can you use one targeting point for more than one attack in one turn? Thematically, it wounds like each targeting point should be used once if the Hydra has enough lives left to attack multiple times, but to my knowledge the rulebook says nothing on this subject. Just wondering...
Rules wise you can attack with the same head four times if you have no wounds. Themeatically it doesn't make sense.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units