Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: North Carolina Scapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree View Post
WTF? Did you seriously hear that, or are you just baiting so someone will come in to set things straight with the real story?
I have heard something contrary. I heard that Billy was driving very aggressively and ended up causing a wreck, only to find out the guy he hit was one of the store's biggest customers. What I heard was that the customer had enough pull to stop his friends from shopping there and also set up a web site badmouthing the store and detailing the incident, which slowed sales there dramatically. The guy who told me all this lives only a few blocks from where AT was and played with us there a few times.

That's what came across the grapevine, though I couldn't find the website the guy supposedly set up.
Ok, wow, can you go ahead and smack whomever was spewing that trash around a little bit? Talk about completely counter to reality.
All I can think of is that close to when the shop closed there was a fatality accident involving a moped and a vehicle exactly like Billy's (make, model, color) The person responsible for that accident was caught, and it wasn't Billy.
As one of the people that was there almost every weekend for a few months leading up to the store closing, I can say that I saw a lot of support for Billy and the store and never heard a whisper about what you mention above.
Just what I heard. A lot of hobby shops closed in this area in the last few years, Maybe it was one of the other ones. I doubt it was made up, that's a pretty complicated story.

But why didn't Billy try to reopen his shop in another location? Also the lease thing seems fishy to me. Why would a landlord opt to lose a tenant altogether rather than let them lease a cheaper space? And wouldn't the groundskeeping fee be articulated in the lease? I'd have a lawyer all over that one if I were in Billy's position.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Just what I heard. A lot of hobby shops closed in this area in the last few years, Maybe it was one of the other ones. I doubt it was made up, that's a pretty complicated story.

But why didn't Billy try to reopen his shop in another location? Also the lease thing seems fishy to me. Why would a landlord opt to lose a tenant altogether rather than let them lease a cheaper space? And wouldn't the groundskeeping fee be articulated in the lease? I'd have a lawyer all over that one if I were in Billy's position.
It's not like this all happened in one afternoon. We were there pretty much every weekend through the whole saga and saw it unfold week by week. Billy tried to make things work, but it just wasn't happening.

Ultimately Amazing Tales, LLC had to declare bankruptcy, which is why Billy couldn't reopen elsewhere--who was going to lend startup funds to someone whose previous business went bankrupt in this economy?

My understanding is that the groundskeeping fee wasn't fixed in the lease, but was instead was a floating value depending on the cost of the annual contract. The cost was divided among the tenants in proportion to the square footage of the space they leased. Billy did have a lawyer, and if there was something illegal about this arrangement I'm sure Billy's lawyer would have caught it.

As for why the landlords wouldn't negotiate, that was a subject of much speculation among the regulars at AT. One theory was that the landlords were purposefully trying to drive their tenants out in order to make it easier to sell the property to NC State. The Mission Valley shopping center is completely surrounded by the university, and apparently the possibility of such a sale had been discussed for several years.

Another theory was that the landlords were trying to make up for falling revenue during the recession by squeezing their existing tenants, and stupidly thought Billy could afford to continue to operate under the new rates.

Anyway, I have no reason to doubt Billy about any of this, and I think I've probably said enough about his private business as it is.
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM

XvBizark Woo who?
Question Re: North Carolina Scapers

Hello. I was just posting a response to here because ive been looking for people to play some 'scape with forever now. Anybody game?

Im around the G-boro area, and actively have 3 other people who play the game all the time.

Please add to the directory. XvBizark. 26 yrs old. Greensboro NC.

My friends are willing to merge with whatever is already running, because we were thinking about starting something of our own, due to lack of people who play the game in this area. Still amazing to find out that there are 72 people who play the game around the area.

FMI, just PM

Thanks!
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

Got the following in my inbox today:

WOC426230009
Heroscape: Expansion 10 – Valkrill’s Gambit
$13.00 per booster or $41.60 for a display (that’s 20% in savings)

Thanks,
Vivian
All Fun & Games
958 U.S. Hwy 64 W.
Apex, NC 27523
www.allfunngames.com
919-468-6322

Also for anyone who is interested in the new version of Space Hulk AF&G's had one on the shelf tonight for $99.

Edited postscript. This was a call from AF&G to get your preorders in, not that they had Wave 10 on the shelf now. I should have made that more clear in the first post. I believe Vivian said in her orginal email that the Street Date was November 10th.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

Last edited by Oliver Upshaw; September 25th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

W000000oooo0000t!

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Sir Crapalot Woo who?

National Heroscape Day- Oct 17, 2009.

Guess what, we are having a Tournament at All Fun & Games (see below). Now lets see if we came get 10 conformations so this thing will be great. Sorry to everyone for talking so long to get this far. But thank you to everyone has helped and is helping pull this together.

See link for details;
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...821#post926821

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
Kung-Fu Kirby is pissed!!
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Sir Crapalot, you have been added to the directory and are our 91st member.

Thanks for your work on the tournament.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

I talked to Sir Crapalot tonight and he said that we will proably get prize support if we have 10+ people sign up on this board that they will be attending the event. So please go to the thread for the event and let us know if you are coming. Thanks.

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM

myrealnameisjeff Woo who?

Anyone going to All Fun & Games tonight? Jon and I are planning on coming. It has been awhile since I've played, so I'm hoping to get some practice in so I'm not too rusty for the 17th!
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'll be working on a play for this week and next, but you guys have fun!

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM

I had a good game with Jeff and Jon tonight at AF&G. I will be there will several maps the next two Thursday nights. So if anyone wants to get up to speed before NHSD come on by. Start time is 6:30. My internet access at work is limited so if anyone wants to get a message to me in regards to Thursday gaming your best bet is to send it by 10pm on Wednesday.

Last edited by Oliver Upshaw; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

So, National Heroscape Day is over my Fall Break. And so I am going to see if I can round up any support of a couple people who have started playing with me at Wake and see if we can commute down to Raleigh. It's been a LONG, LONG time since I've been able to really make my schedule work to play some Heroscape competitively--over six months--but I really do want to prove that I still exist.

I just recently started playing again in the last month, thanks to being back at school, and it's been really great for me. I need to get my hands on some Wave 9, but I did finally get my Wave 1 reprints.

So, yeah. I am going to try and come to AF&G for National Heroscape Day. It only feels appropriate.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers