Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Xyvik is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
How to fix broken/underused units?

As a person who cares a lot about balance and variety I find it a bit disheartening that the "Official Unofficial" Power Rankings list has so many in the C/D/F rating range. Since these units aren't going to be fixed by official incoming units, I was hoping to get the opinion of various tournament-level players on just how they would fix these underused/underpowered units.

After all, house rules are now the only way we can solve any problems with the game, and I would like to "fix" as many of these units as possible. I've only been with Heroscape for a couple of years now and I've never played a tournament, so I'm not entirely certain on where I should start on this endeavor. Basically I want to end up with some balancing acts that make all of my units (or as many as possible) more or less equally useful (A, A-, B+) in different circumstances.

Let's start with the F's since it's a smaller list. How could we fix Deathwalker 7000 and Hatamoto Taro? What changes to their abilities, cost, or stats could be done to make them competitive? For instance, for Deathwalker I was thinking that changing his ability so that it doesn't end up killing him would make him far more competitive. Give it a name like "power surge" and do the same amount of damage. Would that help?

(and sorry if this has been posted before, my search function doesn't seem to be working very well T_T)

Last edited by Xyvik; September 13th, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: How to fix broken/underused units?

Have you checked out the Competitive Unit Congress?

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

There's also HeroScape: Legacy.

And the C3V(classic customs).

You can always just make customs for your own use.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Besides the suggestions above for changes to the units themselves, or additions to the unit pool, probably the easiest way to "fix" what you're calling broken units is to play something other than the standard tournament format. Capture the flag and other scenario types allow units with strengths other than reliability in the blind tourney format to shine.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

As far as changing actual official units, the closest I come is allowing the Hatamoto Taro "prototype" at events I run. That version of the card was (is still?) the image of HT's card from the official Hasbro HS website, so it carries enough weight to be used, imo.

Fwiw, DW7K was in an army at the last tournament I attended.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Besides the suggestions above for changes to the units themselves, or additions to the unit pool, probably the easiest way to "fix" what you're calling broken units is to play something other than the standard tournament format. Capture the flag and other scenario types allow units with strengths other than reliability in the blind tourney format to shine.
This. The power rankings are really good at what they do, and that is rank units for their value in tournament settings. The poor performers aren't necessarily bad units. They are just bad using tournaments as a standard. There are plenty of other modes of play where "bad" tournament units find their place. Even tournament style play (symmetrical maps and tournament standard army sizes) using a draft could change the value of units.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Xyvik is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

A million thanks for the resources and suggestions! I think I'll take a long look around and see what I can use for my own version. Thanks mates!
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

The best way to use underused units is to play with them. I know...shocking.

If you're having a hard time wanting to do so because you think you'll lose, chances are you need to not play against an A+ army. Tell your friends to build an army out of underused units. Better yet, play Heroscape as it was intended: DRAFT. Pull the best cards out of the pool. Put Runa and Dund in there.

Or better yet, come up with a scenario. Build a couple of armies, build a map, and come up with a story to support it.

You'd be surprised how much fun it is to play with cards you don't normally play with due to an OCD "Must Win Or Earth With Explode" mentality. Play to enjoy. Not just to win.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Parduz knows what's in an order marker Parduz knows what's in an order marker Parduz knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
The best way to use underused units is to play with them [...] Play to enjoy. Not just to win.
While i always play for the fun of doing it with my friends or my kids, i don't agree so much that all units are enjoyable.
I admit that i own just Wave 1 & 2 (other than RotV and SotM) but some squad are pretty "alone" and basically not fun to play.
I mean: the Romans are not so strong, but having them bonding makes them a playable squad, if not for winning at least for the fun of having them "working".
I don't see the Vikings played from years. The Samurai got some play (2-3% of total plays) when a map requires strong position defenders. Snipers (which i have a lot 'cause i like(d) the vipers so much) are another bunch of figures laying in the box, like that figure from RttfF....

So i think that a good way to use them (for fun, not for tournament) could be to create some customs from commonly available miniatures that bond with them, to have then squads "at the same level" of fully developed "factions".... a thing that i'm not able to do

Would you like to listen to my music?

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Check out my thread/poll How would you help the Ninjas? which uses the ninjas as an example of how you would fix any unit:
Quote:
A. They don't need helping - they are perfectly designed for current competition! 1 6.67%
B. They need help but I would never would play modified cards or new customs 1 6.67%
C. They need tournaments with scenarios designed to help them 0 0%
D1. Play according to Legacy or other modified point costs 3 20.00%
D2. Modify them to bond 3 20.00%
D3. Modify each unit to be better without bonding or synergy, such as Competitive Unit Congress 6 40.00%
D4. Other modifications that make all units better with synergy (besides bonding) added to units 1 6.67%
E1. Play new custom that has bonding 3 20.00%
E2. Play new custom that has other synergistic help to them 6 40.00%
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM

ladidadi.davis Woo who?

I kind of have my own 'house rule' competitive unit congress of sorts. Example is zettians as a common squad with warden class bonding and priced accordingly. Also, I think I dropped them a defense die too.

If you don't want to do anything like that, if you just want to play some lesser units (like your sniper example)

Taelord 180
Snipers x3 480
Marcu/Isamu+Otonoshi (not sure if you have anything later than what you had mentioned earlier)

I only have one set of snipers but playing them with Taelord and getting them to height is hysterical. While luck sacky, potential 6 skulls flying at your opponent is terrifying.
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:12 AM

hobosock is surprisingly tart

Keep in mind that the power rankings are in regards to tournament level play, where players typically have access multiple squads of the same figure. 4th Mass., for instance, doesn't outshine the other ranged squads as much when you only have one of them. In casual games with friends who may be sharing your collection, a lot of those lower ranked heroes and squads will be surprisingly useful.

The draft suggestion is gold, too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles