Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old October 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

willwall54022 has disabled reputation
500 point orc army help

So i'm wanting to make an orc army but i need to know if this will work
Grimnak
Tornak
2xBlades
3xArrows
3xswogs
495 Points

im wanting to work some heavys in there
any help???

Some people say sexy and some people say willwall54022
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Re: 500 point orc army help

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwall54022
So i'm wanting to make an orc army but i need to know if this will work
Grimnak
Tornak
2xBlades
3xArrows
3xswogs
495 Points

im wanting to work some heavys in there
any help???
Hi Will,

That's not a bad Orc army at all if played carefully, but there is an obvious disadvantage: You're trying to run 2 types of bonding in one army, and that can sometimes be difficult to manage optimally.

Also, that army requires 30 starting spaces.
(An important consideration for tournaments, which often stipulate a 24 space starting zone.)

Tighten up the synergy by taking the Arrow Gruts and Swogs right out of there - yes, I know it hurts, but it will make your army better!

Now you have 200 points to work with. Add 2 sets of Heavy Gruts for 140 points and Nerak for 50 points to get to 490 points.
(I know you are going to say "But I don't have Nerak. Well, you have 3 Swog Riders, right? Proxy!)

So that's an all melee army variant, but with 20 Gruts and 3 heroes, (26 spaces total.)

One the other hand, maybe you really like your little Arrow Gruts and their Swog Riding captains. So take out all the melee Gruts and Orc Heroes, and add more beasts...Mimring and Krug.
That adds up to 465, leaving room for 1 more Swog Rider (if you have enough) or a filler like Eldgrim or Guilty McCreech. This army would only take up 23 or 24 spaces, depending on your final filler choice.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
My son likes using Orc armies. His recommendations - 1) heavy over blades any day -- worth the extra cost, 2) Tornak over Grimnak - except for Chomp and life, better stats and lower cost, 3) don't forget about other Beasts besides the Swog.

So, assuming you want both arrow and melee Orcs:

2x40 = 80 Arrow Gruts
2x70 = 140 Heavy Gruts
1x120= 120 Krug (not an Orc, but meant to work with them)
2x25 = 50 Swog Rider
1x100 = 100 Tornak
1x10 = 10 Isamu (not an Orc, but fills in the points)
Total 500

And it uses 23 start spaces.

By chance, this is also my 500th post
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks both of you, although im keeping the arrow gruts but taking out the blades for heavies. I thought grimnak was a must for the chomp and which would you suggest mimring or krug Mimrings range can be deadily but sending in krug to smash is to.

Old October 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Thanks both of you, although im keeping the arrow gruts but taking out the blades for heavies. I thought grimnak was a must for the chomp and which would you suggest mimring or krug Mimrings range can be deadily but sending in krug to smash is to.
Standalone, Krug. He's the only one that will fit in your army as of current anyways.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM

True and although im not opposed to having 1 or 2 guys in my orc army wouldnt grimnak be better for chomp and the extra orc enhancment?

Old October 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Both are 120 points, so compare:

Life:
Grim 5
Krug 8 x

Move:
Grim 5
Krug 5 tie

Attack
Grim 2
Krug 2 (see specials) x

Defense
Grim 4 x
Krug 3

Specials:
Grim:
Chomp - only works on small/medium
Orc Warrior enhancement

Krug
Double attack - works on all figures
Wound Smash - boosts the 2 attack up to possibly 9 (10 with height) and double attack means he gets to use it twice.

With Tornak in the army which gives the same Orc Warrior boost as Grimnack (at a lower cost), I would go with Krug over Grimnak any day.

Oh, and if your opponent won't attack Krug for "fear" of pumping up his wound smash, you could always have a Heavy Grut hit him a couple of times -- just to make him mad.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Yes but with grimnack i get both his bonus and tornaks don't I?

Old October 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Quote:
Yes but with grimnack i get both his bonus and tornaks don't I?
Yes you can "double stack" Grimak and Tornak's Orc Warrior bonus, but it is hard to keep both of them adjacent to the Heavy Gruts. With the bonding, you can move one of them up, then move the Heavy Gruts, but the other is left behind. To bring both up at the same time will slow down your army as you are always waiting for one to catch up.

I've watched my son play a lot of Orc armies and he almost never uses Grimnak (although he has on a couple of games). He does like Tornak, Nerak, and Ornak for Orc Champions -- the last two the aura's are more than one space which helps a lot.

We usually play 600pt and he has used this more than once:
3 Arrow Gruts 40
2 Heavy Gruts 70
1 Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider 50
1 Ornak 100
3 Swog Rider 25
1 Tornak 100
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM

M'k thanks for your help, but who's nerak, :P ive never heard of him

Old October 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
M'k thanks for your help, but who's nerak, :P ive never heard of him
A Gencon exclusive. Check out his card in the Books of Heroscape Index.
By the way, I disagree with Tornak being better with the Heavies. Chances are that Tornak will get too far to buff the Heavies, forcing you to wait for them. If your Defense Dice are bad, Tornak's a goner, but with Grimnak, you have some insurance with 5 life and Chomp.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
My suggestion

Heavies x3 220
Arrows x2 80
Tornak 100
swog x2 100

Take 2 heavies and go straight in with Tornak. On 2nd round start moving arrows and swogs up to any elevations and move left over heavies to flank. Once 1 squad of heavies and 1 arrow is down just rush them. Not the best tactics but i've used this and it works pretty well against most armies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion