Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Tomorrow night nyys and I and three ofther guys will be playing one of the follow six games:

1. Heroscape
2. Twilight Imperium 3E
3. Battlestar Galactica
4. Samurai Swords
5. Risk 2210
6. A new game to us (Pandemic, Power Grid, Age of Empires III).

Okay, so that's actually like eight games. Anyway, I'm waiting for all the dudes to get back to me with their votes. I'm strangely indecisive.
Go with AoE III and you will not regret it.

As for Risk:Godstorm, it needs the "official" house rules posted in the final few pages of the Technical Field Manual as linked to in the geekfiles section of the boardgamegeek.com GodStorm entry to be worth playing. http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/...en-viewing.pdf Sections 10-13. Also, there are cool player aides at the end. Many more mods are in the geekfiles section.

Just got Stone Age for Christmas, and it is even better than I remembered from my initial playing. I got several other games too, and I'll check in as I try 'em.

Has anyone tried Alan Moon's Union Pacific? I've got my eye on it as it looks to be an simple yet deep economic revision of his Ticket to Ride series.
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Tomorrow night nyys and I and three ofther guys will be playing one of the follow six games:

1. Heroscape
2. Twilight Imperium 3E
3. Battlestar Galactica
4. Samurai Swords
5. Risk 2210
6. A new game to us (Pandemic, Power Grid, Age of Empires III).

Okay, so that's actually like eight games. Anyway, I'm waiting for all the dudes to get back to me with their votes. I'm strangely indecisive.
I really need to move to Southern Mass
You would fit right in my man.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!

Right now BSG is in the lead with two of the five players responding (myself included - that was my first pick). Have yet to hear from nyys.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:27 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Right now BSG is in the lead with two of the five players responding (myself included - that was my first pick). Have yet to hear from nyys.
I talked to him this week and he definitely wants to play BSG
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I finally got to play the game I got for Christmas - Dominion!

I've played before and after that very first game, decided I had to have it. I got that, Dominion Intrigue, and Dominion Seaside for Christmas. I've eagerly awaited the opportunity to play, and finally got to tonight - with my 7yr old!

How cool is that? AND...

He liked it.

I also got a game of Chess in.
And 8 games of Hungry, Hungry Hippos. Very .

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
Got Risk GodStorm. Any one play this one and how did you like it compared to the others? I had a choice between that and Risk 2210. Did I make the right choice?
I like 2210 AD a lot better.
Why did you like a lot better. If you do not mind me asking.
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

The votes are in. We will be playing Battlestar Galactica tonight! Trying to drum up a 6th player . . .

Old January 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
The votes are in. We will be playing Battlestar Galactica tonight! Trying to drum up a 6th player . . .
hmm you think my wife will let me leave now for tomorrows Heroscape Tourney in Westford?
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Got Risk GodStorm. Any one play this one and how did you like it compared to the others? I had a choice between that and Risk 2210. Did I make the right choice?
I like 2210 AD a lot better.
Why did you like a lot better. If you do not mind me asking.
The theme is more interesting to me. It's just fun to get the Nuke commander and go crazy blowing stuff up. I've got one friend who always says, "Screw you guys, I'm going to the moon!" The Naval Commander also adds some cool backdoor strategies to counter some of the old standby's from classic Risk, like holing up in Australia.

In Godstorm, which I've only played once, it seemed like the Gods died too easily, and the battles weren't very exciting. You spend all this effort to get a God on the board, and then you rush him at the other guy, roll a bunch of d6's, and one of you gets hosed. Woo! In 2210, it's almost the opposite- your commanders are usually the last thing to die. The underworld thing didn't have the same appeal as the moon either.

I'm sure there are people who like Godstorm just as well, but I found the flavor of the cards in 2210 to be more interesting, and I also like how there are random irradiated areas each game, which can make certain continents easier to hold than usual. It feels a little different each time. If you're big into mythology you might like Godstorm better. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Actually, it's been my experience that 5 players is the sweet spot for BSG. You get 2 Cylons versus 3 humans, and NO SYMPATHIZER CARD.

Speaking of which, I forgot to finish my battle report from last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
We broke out the Pegasus Expansion for BSG tonight. We decided to only add some of the new components the first time to avoid being overwhelmed. So we added in Pegasus, Treachery, and all the new Skill, Crisis, Destination and Quorum cards. We elected not to use the New Caprica ending, and did not let anyone pick Cylon Leaders.

We played a 4-player game and had to "pause" at the halfway point, we'll finish tomorrow. The first and second jump put the humans at 6 distance, with fuel being the only resource in the red. I was dealt the Sympathizer after having just been assigned the Presidency via the Admiral, so President Lee will be starting tomorrow's session in the Brig.

I'm pretty sure we were all human the first half of the game (or we had a very lazy Cylon player). We were able to consistently tackle the Crises, and our only major loss (aside from the fuel when jumping) has been a destroyed Viper, so I think we're in position to pull out the win. It depends on who turns out to be the Cylon, I suppose, and how much damage they can do.
Well, it turns out Admiral Cain as an unrevealed Cylon can be utterly devastating.

We finally got together to finish the game on Wednesday. We broke everything out, shuffled all the decks, recreated the board, got our coffee and snacks, etc.

It was my turn first. I was in the Brig, but still the President, so I offered to Executive Order someone from there if they could think of something useful to do, and just wait until we had some better Purple and Yellow cards to get me out. We couldn't come up with anything, so I just drew a Quorum card instead.

Next turn is my brother in law. He quietly reviews his character card, checks the board for a moment and says "I'm using Cain's once-per-game. I'm jumping the fleet. Because I'm a toaster and I hate you all." This sort of revealing without Revealing happens somewhat frequently in our games.

We're at 3 fuel when we jump (having traveled 6 distance on 5 fuel already). The Cain player pulls a Civilian Ship - the ONLY ship with a Population and Fuel Icon. Then he pulls the destination card, and it's lose 2 fuel.

Game. Frakking. Over.

Talk about anti-climactic! I couldn't even convince everyone to just start up a new game, either!

Old January 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Double Post, my bad.

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM
has been BANNED

Took advantage of the day off to get some family gaming in....

Candyland and Super Why Bingo with the little one

Yahtzee and Life with my daughter

Heroscape and Drakon with Dylan (and my wife actually played Drakon with us )

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games