Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker
Re: Floating Terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castilater View Post
My main issue with fishing line is how the platform would rock and sway.
Any way to counteract that, or is it simply a constant issue?
We strung it from the four corners with the platform coming to an upside down point, if i remember correctly. That cut a lot of the rocking and swaying. Like I said, pretty neat effect overall.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.

Last edited by Purplebeard; June 20th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Castilater is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Pickledpie:
I'll start saving those now and see how it goes.
Alias:
(Big fan of the maps!)
I have my pieces out of their travel container (took my stuff to a friend's house) and in order, I'll try that- maybe even combine the two methods.
Purplebeard:
You mean kind of like this? \ _ /
(Obviously a ceiling for the lines to connect to, the underscore being the platform we want to "float")
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you have skills, and are playing in a room with a relatively low ceilng, put two walls on each side of the floating ground and tie a piece of fishing line from the middle points of the floating section to the ceiling, giving you the feeling of suspended terrain.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Pickledpie:
I'll start saving those now and see how it goes.
Alias:
(Big fan of the maps!)
I have my pieces out of their travel container (took my stuff to a friend's house) and in order, I'll try that- maybe even combine the two methods.
Purplebeard:
You mean kind of like this? \ _ /
(Obviously a ceiling for the lines to connect to, the underscore being the platform we want to "float")
Yep, that's it. Just be careful of jostling the lines.

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Okay, using castle pieces is a good quick-solution.
Latest map doesn't look too bad.
It also helped my realize my piece count in VS is off.
Also, it helped me realize I can make taller mountains by using castle pieces.
Instead of creating the same section of the mountain about 10 times, using many, many pieces, simply replace it with enough "castle supports" (as I'm unofficially dubbing them).
A question about the lines, Purplebeard:
For securing the lines to the piece, do I drill holes, or simply tie the lines around divets in the pieces (created by the hexes), or am I entirely off?
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Okay, using castle pieces is a good quick-solution.
Latest map doesn't look too bad.
It also helped my realize my piece count in VS is off.
Also, it helped me realize I can make taller mountains by using castle pieces.
Instead of creating the same section of the mountain about 10 times, using many, many pieces, simply replace it with enough "castle supports" (as I'm unofficially dubbing them).
A question about the lines, Purplebeard:
For securing the lines to the piece, do I drill holes, or simply tie the lines around divets in the pieces (created by the hexes), or am I entirely off?
Umm, we made a frame open square out of covered balsa wood scraps as I remember and the tied the ends off.

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM

Frame open square?
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:07 PM

hex-lord is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

i'm not a fan of star wars custom figs but i have a huge at-at (its legs come off and it is 50 tall) and i made a map with ewok tree forts and ladders and a landing pad, it was great
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

This should help-

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Idea would work well for a scenario with my custom Graviton in which he basically ripped out a portion of the Earth and suspended it in the air.

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker

Ok, from your first post one of the main reasons you started this seems to be to have pieces to stand in for mountains. Here is an example of what I did for a temple. The styro sheets came from Menards they are cheep about a buck apiece in a pack of 6. You lay out the levels with your hexes trace and cut with a wonder cutter. They run about $10 at a Craft store Hobby lobby is a good one. If you want to do allot of this they have a plug in version of the Wonder cutter you will find it more at Train orientated hobby stores. You glue them together, Hot glue if you are in a hurry, elmers if not. Then cut the hexes into the exposed surfaces with a wood burner. This took about an hour if you subtract all of the drying time.

</IMG></IMG>

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles