Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

View Poll Results: Which Lawman better at his job?
Johnny "Shotgun" 18 26.47%
James Murphy 50 73.53%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #27 -- Johnny "Shotgun" Vs. James Murphy

Time to lay down the law in these here parts! Which cowboy's the better lawmen, the Mr. Shotgun or the Whipper?

This debate was suggested by clancampbell.

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefulness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

7. Situational Usefulness

Next Debate:
Spoiler Alert!

MegaSilver
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Unit Debate #27 -- Johnny "Shotgun" Vs. James Murphy

If their personalities were switched I'd go with Mr. Murphy, but they aren't. 10 points isn't worth the Whip ability in my opinion.

That's really their only difference right?

I voted for Mr. Sullivan

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dude, I'm in San Diego, how could I not vote for "The Murph?"

Seriously though, shotgun blasts just suck; they're just so easy to counter. So both heros are bogged down by bad specials. James has a decent melee special ability, and a point cost that works out better in most armies. James all the way.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Seriously though, shotgun blasts just suck; they're just so easy to counter.
I find that they work pretty well for (cheap) rat control.

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Astronaut Jones is surprisingly tart

Neither are especially great units, but for some reason I really like James Murphy and have good luck with him. In most games whip doesn't do a whole lot, but it can be real nice against heroes like Ne-Gok-Sa, Crixus, Migol etc. I think it's worth the 10 points if you're picking one of the two.

On a side note, I have seen both of these guys used well with a rat screen. I have a friend who engages three or four guys with a rat then blasts the rat the next turn. It's done some damage and it looks cool.

"Whoa hold on! There's still plenty of meat on that bone."
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
Now this is mostly theoryscape, but it seems to me all you have to do to counter a cowboy on rat detail is to set up a soft screen and/or engage more agressively. True you would be spending more OMs on your rats that normal, but you should be more productive with your OMs on the units that do things than the guy taking pot-shots at single rats.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronaut Jones
On a side note, I have seen both of these guys used well with a rat screen. I have a friend who engages three or four guys with a rat then blasts the rat the next turn. It's done some damage and it looks cool.
This sounds pretty fun. I think I'll have to put that on my list of things to try.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; October 20th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

10 Points for the Whip is worth it. Murphy.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would suggest that in almost any situation, Sullivan and Isamu is better than Murphy. However, I still use James Murphy far more often than Sullivan (which likely has a lot to do with his 75 points evening out better than Sullivan's 65).

The whip does have its uses, for example, I've made a point of taking Murphy to deal with Sentinels in the past. But he is more of a fun unit than a competitive one. I mean, what is more fun than picturing your enemy's high defense unit taken taken off his feet by a whip around the ankle, and being finished off by a point blank shot gun to the face. Murphy gets my vote.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
I've tried that but it has always been ineffective and, typically, a waste of an OM.

I voted for Murphy simply for the Whip, that at least gives him something that he can use when he does get engaged.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM

champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker champrjk knows what's in an order marker

Voted for Murphy because his whip at least is somewhat useful.

Long live Heroscape.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
If their personalities were switched I'd go with Mr. Murphy, but they aren't. 10 points isn't worth the Whip ability in my opinion.

That's really their only difference right?

I voted for Mr. Sullivan
Well, Sully is one taller than Murphy, also. Small but important difference while moving.

MegaSilver
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Shouldn't this be Wyatt Earp vs Indiana Jones? I have to go with Indy, gotta love the whip

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units