Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:48 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HoME Design Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
NAME = GANDALF
GENERAL = JANDAR
SPECIES = MAIA
PLANET = ARDA
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = WIZARD
PERSONALITY = WISE
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5
His class should be Istari like it was before. Having him be an Istari sets him apart from Heirloom, Erevan and the Elf Wizards. Him being a wizard undermines his significances in the Tolkien universe.

Quote:
STATS, MASTER/BASIC
LIFE = 7
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 180
I'm fine with this, playtesting will show if his points need adjusting.

Quote:
BLAZING STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
All opponents' figures adjacent to Gandalf are affected by Blazing Strike Special Attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. At the end of your turn, after using Blazing Strike Special Attack, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf does not take leaving engagement attacks when moving this way.

LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium Unique Heroes you control up to 4 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Hasty Retreat do not take leaving engagement attacks.
Leadership combined with Raelin still needs more playtesting, but I'm content with it as is. I still like Blazing Strike Special Attack. An alternate name for Blazing Strike that I like is Flame of the Ithron Special Attack. Ithron is Sindarin for Wizard.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

As a small note, based on some of the playtests I've seen, I think people find Gandalf overpowered dragging Raelin around, and clunky when the movement for Leadership is reduced to 4 to keep him in check. If it's an issue, I think we need to address it now. Should we find a way to exclude Raelin and keep Leadership at 5?
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:49 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Should we find a way to exclude Raelin and keep Leadership at 5?
Might be getting a bit clunky but you could try one of these:

LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit, or Human Unique Heroes you control up to 5 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Leadership do not take leaving engagement attacks.

OR

LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium Unique Heroes without the Flying or Stealth Flying power you control up to 5 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Leadership do not take leaving engagement attacks.

Aside from Raelin there might still be considerations with Gandalf dragging around some of the heavy hitters such as Kaemon Awa, Sonlen, or Tandros. While you could restrict to Small Unique Heroes, the usefulness might be minimal.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How about,

LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium Non Flying Unique Heroes you control up to 5 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Leadership do not take leaving engagement attacks.

Same language as Jotun's throw.

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Looks pretty good -- I've added one minor edit for consistency with Jotun's card:

LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium non-flying Unique Heroes you control up to 5 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Leadership do not take leaving engagement attacks.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

The 4-move restriction is "clunky" on purpose--that's a feature, not a bug. That way the player has to make choices. If we find that playtesting requires excluding Raelin (which is far from a given after only two tests, although definitely a major concern) then we should still leave the restriction at 4.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
The 4-move restriction is "clunky" on purpose--that's a feature, not a bug. That way the player has to make choices.
I agree. limiting it to 4 move helps check a powerful power, and makes for some difficult choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
LEADERSHIP
After taking a turn with Gandalf, you may move up to 3 small or medium Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit, or Human Unique Heroes you control up to 5 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf. Figures moved by Leadership do not take leaving engagement attacks.
I actually like this idea if you changed it to 4 move. It solves the Raelin problem (or potential problem) it's thematic with out being limiting game play wise.

I'd rather keep leadership as is, and wait for more testing or change it to the above with 4 move instead of 5, and test from there.

I don't like the non flying idea, it seems out of place and wired thematically, but for Jotun it made sense. Why can Gandalf lug around Tul-Bak-Ra or Warden 816 and not Raelin?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:17 AM

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
The 4-move restriction is "clunky" on purpose--that's a feature, not a bug. That way the player has to make choices. If we find that playtesting requires excluding Raelin (which is far from a given after only two tests, although definitely a major concern) then we should still leave the restriction at 4.
I thought features were supposed to be nice. I realy didn't like the 4 move thing. It just really hurts your development, and basically makes you cede the high ground..

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Quote:
I thought features were supposed to be nice. I realy didn't like the 4 move thing. It just really hurts your development, and basically makes you cede the high ground..
... Decisions, decisions.

Seriously. Potentially *every turn* Gandalf can move, attack all adjacent figures or make a powerful short-range attack, then possibly move 4 spaces again, and then move 2-3 other heroes 4 spaces. He does a lot, and I would like to keep some restraint in this design.

Let's see some more tests with Raelin.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Quote:
... Decisions, decisions.

Seriously. Potentially *every turn* Gandalf can move, attack all adjacent figures or make a powerful short-range attack, then possibly move 4 spaces again, and then move 2-3 other heroes 4 spaces. He does a lot, and I would like to keep some restraint in this design.

Yes, it can be powerful, but it forces you to draft an almost all Hero Army.

Working on it!

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
And some others that should be tested:
Kaemon Awa
Sonlen
Migol and/or Mogrimm
Sir Gilbert
Skahen
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just my two sense on this matter. Why is the power named Leadership? If you plan on limiting it only to the Fellowship (or similar figures) why not change the name to "Leader of the Fellowship" or something else a bit more interesting, right now it's kind of a boring name (unless you plan on reusing it)

Might want to test the Flagbearers as well, they could easily become over powered if they can get such a good movement boost.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs