Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
I just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

I've heard over and over again how range rules. I agree with this to some extent, but not near the extent others feel it does. I played in a tourney this last weekend up in Austin, MN with some of the premier players of the Mid-West. I chose to take an all melee team to try and prove a point. I wanted to prove that if played right, and of course with a little luck, that it was quite possible for an all melee army to have more than a fighting chance. I placed 4th out of 31. My only loss came against a blast/glad + Raelin Army played by Spider Poison. I defeated a Stinger army, 4th Mass armies, and an arrow grut army. My army wasn't exactly shabby: knights x 3, Alastair, Gilbert, Eldgrim, Isamu, but it wasn't speedy either. My dispatch rolls were pretty bad. More often than not I got less than 1. There was 1 map that was a little advantageous with a road down the middle which 2 of my wins were on, but the other 2 wins were on maps that were definitely not advantageous to my army.
Am I a good player? Perhaps, (only time will twll) but the point is that with a little strategy, good decision making, and a little luck melee HAS a fighting chance in this game!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart
Re: ARM - Anti-range movement

I hope you guys don't mind if I post a 29% range army but I like:

Marcus
Izumi
2x legos
2x 10th
Ngs
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I would drop the Izumi for another set of legos...2 just isn't enough IMO.
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Yeah I would too but I ran out of legos when I made the army and the izumi are great for engaging range allowing the others to freely slow roll with bonding.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Makes sense enough. I would suggest getting another couple packs of Romans. They really are a fun army to play.
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Makes sense enough. I would suggest getting another couple packs of Romans. They really are a fun army to play.

Exactly why I bought them and bleakwoode ( along with 3 sets of soldiers and wolves, rotv, and wave 8 elves) from coolstuffinc. I was really lucky to get the last packs of 10th.

Last edited by Ullar/utgar own; June 30th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM

Agatagary is surprisingly tart

A lot of the issues with the power of range stem from the way maps are designed (favoring range).

One of the easiest ways that we now have to balance range and melee is jungle terrain. Jungle gives a bonus only to melee troops, allowing them to get close enough to engage the ranged attackers. Anti-range tactics are necessary, but we also have to consider the maps. If you know what map you will be fighting on, and that map is hostile to melee forces, using a melee army might not be a good idea.

In general, good maps (tournament worthy) ought be more friendly to melee troops.

There are no "bad" units in Heroscape-only misused ones.

Please read The Heroscape Chronicles

Try out my custom figures! All use existing Heroscape sculpts
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatagary View Post
Jungle gives a bonus only to melee troops, allowing them to get close enough to engage the ranged attackers.
That's not right. Jungle gives any small, medium, or large figure a defense bonus as long as they are targeted by a non-adjacent attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatagary View Post
Jungle gives a bonus only to melee troops, allowing them to get close enough to engage the ranged attackers.
That's not right. Jungle gives any small, medium, or large figure a defense bonus as long as they are targeted by a non-adjacent attack.
That's correct, but I think Agatagary's point is that because it only applies to non adjacent attacks, melee troops receive the benefit while ranged troops don't. Melee figures being shot at gain +1 defense. Ranged figures don't receive any bonus in return against melee- the melee guy only attacks from adjacency. In the case of shooter vs shooter, they both get a +1 defense, so there's no real advantage. Yes, this can be broken down, but I think the general point being made still stands.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM

Uhurugu is surprisingly tart

Replying to the original topic (because I haven't read all the way through this), things are really looking up for anti-range melee armies. The Venocs and spiders just got a nice boost with Brave Arrow and the natives (I consider them to be melee, since I would always use two engaged, Brave Arrow, and one to snipe from height) although they don't really fit into either category, melee or range. Additionally, the Caps are shaping up to challenge Maccabeus, although, like him, I would still favor knights. Minions plus Atlaga should be a nice anti-range army, as well. This wave is packed with possibilities for the ARM.

On a more strategic note, has anyone thought to use an army consisting of Minions, Zombies, and Nakitas/Raelin? In theory, the Minion's wings block the Zombies' heads from fire, until they can get close, while the girls provide bonus cover with smoke powder or bonus defense. Aside from the order-marker difficulties, it looks like fun to play (although not extremely practical). If anyone tries this, let me know how it goes.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM

PlasmaScaper 2.0 is surprisingly tart

Well, now we have a couple other answers to the range problem (although not many), as Zelrig can blast apart or scatter ranged armies, and him combined with Deathreavers to pin ranged figures in place would deal fairly large amounts of damage. Also, Gurei-Oni + RotV Raelin should theoretically work pretty well against ranged. Tul-Bak-Ra can also be a nuisance with Mind Blast and Teleporting.

Posts by me are rare occasions. I mostly hang around other places these days, but I come here every once in a while.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM

I love how two of your answers to the Range Dominance are units with RANGED attacks

But, I do think that we have more answers to range, but I also think that we have had these answers for a while.

For example, these have been around for a while:
KoW boosted by Gilbert can quickly close the distance.
Romans boosted by Raelin is a natural fit with how they bunch.

Now, we have:
Atalaga boosted Minions/Sentinels.
Dwarves without bonding until they close the distance.
Gladiators move fast enough and are though enough to withstand ranged attacks.

In the end though, it comes down to how well you know how to play your army. You should be so comfortable with you army that the map and opponents army shouldn't worry you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles