Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old September 13th, 2016, 10:19 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Sorin and the Auto-Wounders

This one is really powerful.

350 350 Sorin of the Eternal Thirst
500 150 Eldrazi Ruiner
600 100 Avacyn, On Bloodied Wings

BLACK
10 10 Corrupt
20 10 Corpse Lunge

WHITE
25 5 Swift Justice
35 10 Tenacity
45 10 Near-Death Experience
55 10 Survive the Night
65 10 Healing Salve
75 10 Seize the Initiative
90 15 Angel's Mercy
110 20 Hope Against Hope
130 20 Chaplain's Blessing
150 20 Stone Will

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:28 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Sorin and the Auto-Wounders

have you played this against AotP or Heroscape or both?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

He played it against my mixed army and it was pretty amazing.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:27 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I also played my own (B ish) pure Heroscape army against it and got stomped (Take 2 tourney). I have played it against one pure AotP army, separate from the tourney, and it did well there--I am not sure it is as relatively powerful in that context, but it was a scenario so kind of hard to say.

--
--
--

--
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The only thing that I would say is that AotP armies are generally set at 500 points. That would exclude this army from being played in most scenarios. Maybe they limited this on purpose to prevent builds like this from dominating. Seems to me like the designers intended for Ruiner to be the only creature in your army. That helps balance him.

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Zendikar changed the limit to 600.

--
--
--

--
Old January 10th, 2017, 08:06 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
The only thing that I would say is that AotP armies are generally set at 500 points. That would exclude this army from being played in most scenarios. Maybe they limited this on purpose to prevent builds like this from dominating. Seems to me like the designers intended for Ruiner to be the only creature in your army. That helps balance him.
Only within the core set does it suggest to use 500 points, because that's all the box included.

The game plays much better and more balanced at 600, and if you've been playing 500, I'd highly suggest trying out 600
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah well, Innistrad brings it back down to 500 so what's your point? My point is that AotP is highly scenario-based at the moment, and there's no current published scenario where you could use this build (even in Zendikar, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think the game is far enough along competitively, to really start having a discussion. This build is obviously the one to beat at 600 points. Not much competition (possibly a Nissa army could try sniping it to death) currently, so this type of build just becomes a novelty.

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:39 PM

I don't think the build is less competitive at 500 points (minus Avacyn).

--
--
--

--
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

Cool. Now we're talkin! I'll try fighting against it sometime.

I think that AotP is just starting to get a little variety and this build is kind of the first that's emerged from that. As more releases come I think more counters to this one will emerge and things will get a little more competitive. At least I hope so, because having one "build-to-beat" is kinda boring...

Old January 11th, 2017, 05:38 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Yeah well, Innistrad brings it back down to 500 so what's your point? My point is that AotP is highly scenario-based at the moment, and there's no current published scenario where you could use this build (even in Zendikar, correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think the game is far enough along competitively, to really start having a discussion. This build is obviously the one to beat at 600 points. Not much competition (possibly a Nissa army could try sniping it to death) currently, so this type of build just becomes a novelty.
My experience has been to try the scenarios maybe once each, but for the most part I just do 600 point kill-em-all or kill-the-planeswalker, and my estimation is that's how most people have approached it. (be it at 500 or 600)

As to the 2nd paragraph, while I agree this build is clearly a Tier 1 list at 600 points I don't think it's anywhere near 'not having much competition'. There's several setups that can deliver the kind of burst damage necessary to clear any of these bodies off the table.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Competitive Armies Discussion