Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:31 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
C3V/SoV Question Dump

Have a question about a C3V/SoV thing and don't know where to ask it?

Just ask here. We'll be glad to answer it for you.

Some Q&A's:

Q: What is the C3V and the SoV, and what are the differences between them?
A:
Spoiler Alert!

Resource for researching all the C3V/SoV units: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=33402
http://haccs.bplaced.net/

This thread inspired by @magiclantern . Welcome aboard, friend!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 19th, 2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: C3V/SoV Question Dump

Thanks for setting up this thread! I'm certain that it will prove to be very useful.

Is there a general guide as to how many miniatures should be available online for passing availability requirements? I know that Common figures of course need more than Uniques, but I'm not sure just how many more are expected for SoV entries.

Also, is the presence of an air stand (or some other piece of additional plastic holding up a flying mini) considered a negative? We never saw it in classic HeroScape, but I believe that the Zettian Deathwings had one in their sculpts.

Are there still plans to add synergies to the Public Playtesting threads to make the process easier for new playtesters?
Old April 22nd, 2018, 09:34 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

1. No, nothing firm. For commons, it depends on how many in a squad and how many we consider suitable in an army. When it's a close call we try to put that info in the mini announcement.

2. As you say, we've used air stands before. I don't know why we wouldn't consider doing so again.

3. Oh, right. We should do that. Hopefully it's not discouraging people from participating, though.

FWIW, I'm glad to answer questions like this, and keep 'em coming if you want. But I also want our lurkers and our new members to know they can come here and ask little one-off questions and get quick answers. Also, a guy like you can (and will, I suspect) chip in with answers, too, when you have them for others.

= =
Old April 22nd, 2018, 09:37 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I don’t think the air stands would qualify as a true negative for minis. Often times they add to the sculpt by giving us cool flying poses. I’d probably watch the relative size of the mini though. Some of the DnD dragons tower over others a bunch more than usual with the air stands.And yeah, the Zettian Deathwings have the air stands.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 10:41 PM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

Q: What is the difference between C3V and SOV.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:41 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

When official WotC Heroscape was discontinued, two groups formed to take its place as sponsors of new worthy additions to the official Heroscape canon. Both depend on the use of available, identified minis, usually but not always associated with other game systems, and the development of Heroscape cards to accompany them.

The SoV: People nominate customs to this panel of judges. The person nominating might or might not be the creator of the custom. The panel of judges then votes first, on whether to accept the unit for testing, and second, if it accepts the unit for testing, whether to add it to the Heroscape canon. It was modeled very closely on the BoV, which (at the time the SoV was created) worked pretty much the same way for identifying the best maps for competitive play.

The C3V: The C3V is a more complex beast. The idea of the C3V, and its earliest shape, was the brainchild of the estimable Grungebob and the pioneer IAmBatman, who put together a project based loosely on the C3G with the goal of the regular production of canonic units, just like WotC and Hasbro before it had regularly produced canonic units. In order to fulfill this mission, the C3V operates in a private workshop, carefully managing its communication with the outside world, just as a private company would do. It's significantly bigger than the SoV, because it does everything soup-to-nuts. Identifying the mini, designing the unit, crafting the words just right to ensure consistency across the entire body of Heroscape without goofy interactions, and putting together a pro-level PDF are all done in private, as well as plotting the course for future releases.

How the projects work together: The judges of the SoV are all in the Inner Sanctum of the C3V. So they have input on all C3V designs. Conversely, all designs accepted for review by the SoV are then also reviewed by the C3V, which then votes whether to accept the units before actual testing is done by the SoV judges.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; April 23rd, 2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: good question. i'm going to put this in a spoiler in the op.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 09:18 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Cool thread, D_S.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 09:25 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thanks. It was overdue.

= =
Old April 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Are there still plans to add synergies to the Public Playtesting threads to make the process easier for new playtesters?
Okay, I went through and added Snyergies into the threads. It's not exhaustive, as I just did things off the top of my head, but it should have the major ones that you'd want to build armies around.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 02:23 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Also, is the presence of an air stand (or some other piece of additional plastic holding up a flying mini) considered a negative? We never saw it in classic HeroScape, but I believe that the Zettian Deathwings had one in their sculpts.
Speaking only for myself, air stands would be a negative unless absolutely necessary. The only official figure to use an air stand is the Silver Surfer, for obvious reasons, and the only C3V/SoV unit to use them is the Deathwings, for equally obvious reasons. This isn't just an aesthetic preference, either - there are gameplay implications for figures on stands (can't hide behind ruins/battlements, are more easily targeted by ranged attacks in general, take up an inordinate amount of space on ladders, etc...) that other flying figures do not create.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
1. No, nothing firm. For commons, it depends on how many in a squad and how many we consider suitable in an army. When it's a close call we try to put that info in the mini announcement.

2. As you say, we've used air stands before. I don't know why we wouldn't consider doing so again.

3. Oh, right. We should do that. Hopefully it's not discouraging people from participating, though.

FWIW, I'm glad to answer questions like this, and keep 'em coming if you want. But I also want our lurkers and our new members to know they can come here and ask little one-off questions and get quick answers. Also, a guy like you can (and will, I suspect) chip in with answers, too, when you have them for others.
Thanks for the responses! I was curious about rough numbers to aim for, since there are a few designs that I am looking to submit to SoV in the future that I'm still looking for suitable sculpts for.

The lack of synergies personally hasn't stopped me from playtesting, but I know that it had been requested once or twice before and I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of the potential synergies that they could be using.

Those were just some quick questions that I had been meaning to ask for a little while, so thanks for clearing them up. I'll definitely do my best to answer questions here when I can, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, air stands would be a negative unless absolutely necessary. The only official figure to use an air stand is the Silver Surfer, for obvious reasons, and the only C3V/SoV unit to use them is the Deathwings, for equally obvious reasons. This isn't just an aesthetic preference, either - there are gameplay implications for figures on stands (can't hide behind ruins/battlements, are more easily targeted by ranged attacks in general, take up an inordinate amount of space on ladders, etc...) that other flying figures do not create.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the air stands since they are so rarely used in the game so far, but permitting them opens up the sculpt options for Kyries and other humanoid figures in flying poses. I wanted to check and see if it would be a negative against the design before I settled on using a sculpt with an air stand, so thanks for the honest opinion. Since it seems like not everyone is bothered, I may have to rely on a sculpt with air stands.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

I can follow up on both your responses with this note: It depends on the context. The better the mini for the unit and/or the concept, the more likely we are to overlook stands. The more perfect the design, and the more rare the mini, the more likely we are to overlook availability in the lower range.

Mini availability, like everything else, is a factor considered by the separate voters. First the SoV, then the C3V. Once the SoV nominee is approved by the C3V, though, mini availability is (to my mind) a non-issue. If you like the nominee and it's under consideration by the SoV, get the mini while you can.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs