Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2021, 12:28 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Per by-law #4. A map must have been played at a minimum of 2 tournaments (6+ players, announced in advance on Heroscapers), in its most recent iteration, before it can be nominated to the WoS.

Here are the tournaments that the nominated ARV maps have been played on. This may not be an extensive list.

From the Ashes
2018 Idaho NHSD
Everett March Madness Tournament 2018
Online Heroscape Season 38

Savage Corridor
2021 PNW NHDS
Utah Monthlies 2020
Utah Monthlies 2019
Fracas in February - Everett, WA
Utah Monthlies 2018
Savage Throwdown, Maryland

Everglades and Evergreens
2021 PNW NHDS
Peoira Monthlies, April 2021
NHSD in Maryland, 2019
New England Revival, 2019
Tourney - The Uncharted Wellsprings, Idaho

Ticallan Tower
PEORIA MONTHLY APRIL 2021
UTAH MONTHLY AUGUST 2018
Idaho/Utah NHSD - Valhallan Wastelands, 2017
Everett, WA - March Madness Tournament 2018

Ruins of Rennoc
2021 PNW NHDS ~ Oct 9th
THE JINGLE BELL BASH! Utah Monthly 2018
NYNYS - New York New Year Showdown! Buffalo, 2019
Everett, WA - Fracas in February Tournament 2019

Valledonn Fortress
2021 PNW NHDS ~ Oct 9th
New England Revival - 8-17-19 Seekonk, MA

The Swamps of Oighir Scath
Utah Monthlies - December, 2019
2021 PNW NHDS ~ Oct 9th
UTAH MONTHLY AUGUST 2019
UTAH MONTHLY MARCH 2019
Monster Mash - Utah, 2018
Classic League: - Worst Army - Online 2019

The Crypt
Online Heroscape Season 43
NHSD in Maryland! 2019
New England Revival - 8-17-19 Seekonk, MA
UTAH MONTHLY MARCH 2019
Everett, WA - Fracas in February Tournament 2019

Battlefield 23
Louisville, KY Monthly Tournament: August, 2021
UTAH MONTHLY AUGUST 2021
ScapeCon 2021
Monster Mash - Utah, 2018
Online Heroscape Season 43
Online Heroscape Season 41
Old August 22nd, 2021, 01:17 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Old August 22nd, 2021, 07:51 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I need more time on several of the ARV maps, but I will give the NO votes that I can.

Savage Corridor - This is a solid map. The jungle is well used and I really appreciate the restraint on height changes. But at the same time the road and startzone end up being elevated over a bunch of swamp water, which I don't love. The road is mostly in service of a rush up the middle, while the better strategy on this map is usually going to be working up a side. The two hills problem will be rarer on this map than some as they're close enough to interact, but it's a potential issue. I'm also not totally sure I buy the value in all the battlement placements. It's a solid map and one I'd use, but I don't think it's the best you can do with this concept.

Everglades and Evergreens - The two unconnected road segments deny much-needed lateral movement options. The railings serve to really isolate the Wannok side of the map in a way I don't like. The placement of the small trees don't really accomplish that much when they are isolated as they are. The random level 3 bump in the middle of the road at a different level than all surrounding terrain really looks like it was just a matter of having a 7-hexer below it and not wanting to re-work things. Overall this one doesn't appeal to me.

Ticallan Tower - Again, I appreciate the restraint in height changes. The central flower pot is a weird aesthetic choice but it does work fine here. It's a solid layout overall, plenty of opportunity for dynamic play. But I really dislike that the highest spots on the map often get jungle cover. I can actually be on road, with jungle cover, on the highest point on the map. Force me to make a choice; don’t give one spot all the good things.

Valledon Fortress - There's a lot I like about this map. Making all the gaps between castle walls two spaces wide is a wise choice that keeps things from getting too clogged. The road pathing is good, too, but the road path into the key central area can be blocked fairly easily, and the lack of connection between the road sections on the valda side of the map makes it significantlk harder to outflank. In general the level 3 road plateau just seems a little too good. Also, the startzones are going to be pretty tough to figure out in live play.
Old August 24th, 2021, 07:35 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

I have some reviews inbound, but I'll chime in here to provide another NO vote and clear up some of the maps on the log.

I'll vote NO on Ticallan Tower. Dok pointed out several things I agree with. Additionally, it stands out to me that the map is effectively 6 hexes wide at the middle. In my opinion, that's simply too narrow. It becomes very easy to clog up with both melee and range screens removing decisions from the players as things bog down.

I'll have a few more in depth reviews soon and I'll also dust off some of my reviews from the old BoV maps and see how they hold up today.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old August 24th, 2021, 07:42 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Oh yeah, we never announced it but Dignan has jumped on the judging panel!
Old August 24th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Oh yeah, we never announced it but Dignan has jumped on the judging panel!
Very fitting! Glad to see it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 24th, 2021, 08:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'll toss in some reviews that won't rock anybody's world but here they are anyway:

Highways and Dieways
The granddaddy of great tournament maps. Sometimes I wish the center playing area had more than just level 2 and level 3 but both are quite well-used, as anybody who's played on H&D can attest. It's a little tricky for online play because of placement and LoS calls but it deserves a spot among the best.

Ticalla Sunrise
Also a classic, and a map that intrigues me every time I look at it and play on it. The pseudo-symmetry is really cool and the whole map sees play. Best of all, since I'm not a GenCon regular, I haven't had time to get tired of it just yet.

Fulcrum
Good map. I've found that as the quality of play increases, the map utilization increases as well. Rushing up the middle is obvious but good players can also exploit the water-dunk-onto-the-hill strategy to great effect. My biggest nitpick is the 3-hex height on the right side of the SZ, but maybe that's just from playing Tiamat's Incendiborgs there.

Bad Moon Rising
Dok has helped me to love this map (I agree it's underappreciated). For me this is THE map with two unconnected roads, but each side of the road is important to development and endgame play. Plus it looks great.

Stygian Rift
THE lava map. Definitely has solid theme execution. One solid part of this map is the few level 3 dungeon hexes that stop it from being OOPS! All lava field! as far as height goes. That height is far enough away from the center that it doesn't make for great Raelin/range perches, but still attackable from even ground and level 4 height. Overall an all-time classic.

Draugur
I sealed my one and only tournament win on this map so it's gotta be inducted for sure. But for real, this map is a winner in every respect except that weird level 1 spot where there's water next to ice next to shadow in three adjacent hexes. Reminds me a lot of Platypus which is also a well-deserved WoS inductee.

Dance of the Dryads
Lava/Road maps are, in my opinion, the platonic ideal of Heroscape maps. Lava provides (or can provide) dynamic height and decision making, and road gives instant pathing. This is the most economical Lava/Road map, and I personally love its aesthetics.
Old August 25th, 2021, 01:14 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've been loving reading your guy's reviews of BoV maps. It's really gotten me thinking how I would have voted. The WoS is a needed addition to the community, and I'm excited to see it build on the BoV's impressive legacy.

It's a formidable combination, the ARV hosting contests, encouraging map discussion, and certifying quality maps, along with the WoS creating a one stop shop for the best of the best.

Last edited by OEAO; August 25th, 2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old August 25th, 2021, 02:45 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Welcome to 1Mmirg who has agreed to join our judging ranks. We now have a 6-judge panel.
Old August 25th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Welcome aboard Dignan and 1Mmirg!! It’s great to have you two as judges!
Old August 25th, 2021, 04:10 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Wow! Fantastic! This is great news for the community. Congrats to @Dignan and @1Mmirg and thank you to both as well, for bringing your expertise to this project.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 25th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Just completed a major overhaul of the second post- it should be completely up-to-date now. It's very possible I screwed up a link or two (or even vote color or two), so just let me know if you see an error and I'll fix it soon(tm).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios