Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 30th, 2014, 02:52 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Went to Games Keep in West Chester PA on Black Friday.

Met Tom and Arcus there for a great day of gaming.

We started with a 4 player game of Descent: 2nd Edition co-op
Things looked like they were going pretty good for us but the wounds were stacking up because we had no healer. About 2/3 of the way through the campaign, a single attack from a flesh moulder did 6 wounds and killed every one of us. I'm looking forward to giving the co-op another try soon and hopefully have some success. I really want FFG to release some more of these co-op adventures.

After cleaning up Descent, we moved on to Dead of Winter. This has been one that I have been drooling over for a while and I'm so glad I finally had the opportunity to get a chance to play it. I'm going to echo what most people who have reviewed have said. It's fantastic! While the zombie theme is starting to get overdone, they handle it beautifully here. The zombies just feel like a backdrop to a great, story driven game. We played one of the scenarios where we just had to survive for a few rounds (can't remember the name of it). I had accomplished my secret objective fairly early in the game and was just working on keeping everyone alive. Things looked good for at least a shared victory for me when Tom showed his true colors on his very last turn and betrayed us all! While he was unable to complete his betrayer conditions, he kept us from winning as well. What a great game and I really, really want to pick this up.

After that we moved on to Splendor. This was a nice change of pace from the co-ops we were playing. I guess you'd call it a set collection and victory point game. You choose your resources (colored gems) at the beginning of your turn then, when you have enough of them you buy cards that represent those gems (mines etc...). The more resources the card takes to purchase, the more experience points they are likely to give. First person to 15 wins. I felt like I was doing pretty good, but Tom swooped in at the end and pulled out the victory. A fun, quick game that I would definitely play again and would be a good one for family get togethers.

Then we did a 4 player game of Sentinels of the Multiverse. I was Unity, Tom was Haka, Arcus was the Fixer and a pick up player was Ra. Since it was Arcus' first playthrough, we went with Baron Blade as our enemy for the game. I really love this game, but I think it left Arcus with a bad taste in his mouth. He drew extremely poorly and had almost nothing worth doing for the duration of the game. I'm finding this one to be almost best as a solo game. It can take a much longer time to play with 4 players than I would have expected. We handled the Baron fairly easily and came away with the win.

On to Among the Stars. This game is a space station version of 7 Wonders. I liked it ok, but don't think it will replace 7 Wonders in my eyes. It had it's own unique way of playing the pieces of the space station you were building, but I found it to be tricky to keep score. Some of the parts you built scored right away, others scored at the end of the game and I kept messing that up. It would need a few more plays from me to get used to how it's scored.

We ended our great day of gaming with Sheriff of Nottingham. Another fun new game that would be great for introducing new people to the hobby. I managed to eek out a win over Tom by two points thanks to a great end turn where I was able to pick up 5 chickens.

All in all, we had a fantastic day playing a lot of great games. I just wish we could do this more often.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just returned from spending the week in Georgia with my family, and they have come to expect me to bring games to play. They are definitely more casual gamers, but my nephews and brother will play thematic games like Zombicide and Last Night on Earth when we get together. This visit, however, we stuck with a lot more gateway-type games, but we played a fair amount over the course of the week:

Coup X 2 - I mainly brought this because it's easy to teach and plays a lot of people

Smash Up X 4 - This was definitely the hit for my nephews, who range from 14 to 20. We played with five players (I know it's only up to 4, but we didn't want to leave anyone out), and it worked well. They enjoyed it enough that they sat and discussed strategies and potential faction synergies even when we weren't playing it. Afterwards, I picked up the base game for only $20 to give to them as a Christmas present.

Ticket to Ride X 2 - I taught this to my brother and his family, and they enjoyed it enough to play it a few times without me. I'm not surprised they enjoyed it. I haven't met any casual gamers that don't like this one.

King of Tokyo X 2 - another hit for my nephews, who enjoyed the smack talk as much as the game. I had the opportunity to add in my Power up Expansion for the first time, and I really like how it changes the game.

Love Letter X 1 - Played this while we were waiting on a few more people. This is still one of the best light, quick games I know.

Hull Breach X 2 - Played this with my son while we were hanging out during the day. I banned the Minefield event card (it is the bane of my existence when I play him), but he still destroyed me. We like this a lot, particularly when combining a couple of core sets to give more options for building decks.

We had an excellent week of visiting family and gaming. I brought a few more games with me (Dead of Winter, A Touch of Evil, Lords of Waterdeep, etc.) because I'm always optimistic, and it would have been nice to get something a little more thematic in, but overall it was an excellent time.
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Five chickens in a single turn??? That's almost as rare as seeing @tom and @Arcus , @spidysox !

Akden, bringing games to the family gatherings is a challenge and a joy. Unlike the rest of my baggage, I bring way more than I'll need.

I sent our Kings of Tokyo to my brother, because he needed a game to rescue his family from Monopoly, and my kids haven't been interested in it recently. So within a week, SisterScaper was requesting it. I picked up the Catan dice game, which has a similar push-your-luck element (really, can't say no when it's under $5), and we've enjoyed it so far. Lately we've been playing a *lot* of a card game called Egyptian Rat Screw. The funny thing about this game is it's a dexterity (really, speed) game, involving slapping the cards. It is the only game we own that I can consistently beat the kids at. Well, the only one they want to play with me.

We also played a couple rounds of Eat Poop You Cat, which was excellent because all 4 of us played, and those games are the best. So, basically, the games we've played recently have cost less than a combined $7 or so.

Oh yeah, one round of Straw with SisterScaper, too. Which we didn't pay for separately, so still under $7.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 30th, 2014, 11:02 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Cyclades: Titans should be here at the end of the week. This second expansion has been called "A game changing must have" by Tom Vasel. I'm looking forward to it.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:00 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

A lot of Adventure Time Card Wars and X Wing. I played a 300 point X Wing game with the Tantive IV. Once you get over the hump of learning a new set of rules just for one ship, it's real fun and adds a lot to the game.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I had the chance to have a go at a couple games yesterday. I finally had the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse. I'm going to try to reserve judgment on it, however. The guy demoing the game had never run one before and I quickly understood the rules better than he had. I ended up correcting him at a few points and explaining how different things function. I think he was getting a little frustrated at me for that and in retrospect I probably should have backed off and let him be wrong instead of pushing forward. In any case our flubbing through the rules in the early part and the bit of tension between the man running the game and myself soured the otherwise mediocre experience of pounding on a weak villain. I still have my doubts about the game, although I am certainly willing to try it again under better circumstances.

After that I got the chance to play Pandemic: The Cure. It plays very much like Pandemic except it involves die-rolling instead of the normal mechanics. It felt very much like a how you would expect a stream-lined, die rolling Pandemic game would play. We ended up winning on standard difficulty with 1 outbreak to go before we lost and I rather enjoyed it, although I must admit I don't feel compelled to own it given that I already have Pandemic. Like the original game, it is easy to get too caught up trying to treat the disease rather than taking the actions necessary to work towards curing it. I find that I usually keep my group coming out ahead as long as we keep that fact in mind.
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Played Thunderstone last night. I enjoyed it, but the other player had a slow start. The learning curve for that game seems a lot steeper than Dominion.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I got a few more games in last night. First was I believe Maximum Throwdown, although I think it may have been some kind of expansion since I think it had a different set of factions. It's a dexterity game where you toss cards on a table to get effects and try to cover up your opponent's cards. Each card has symbols placed on them throughout that lose effect if they are even partially covered. I ended up being pretty good at tossing although I was not using my symbols to their best advantage and came in second for it.

Next was Sheriff of Nottingham, another first for me. I have a pretty good track record of winning games the first time I play them but not last night, although I did come in second again at least (Oddly enough, I don't necessarily win that often replaying games. I try exploring different strategies a bit more and mostly find how they don't work). I did enjoy the bargaining and bribing in this game and I must say that most of the fun is tied up in those little bags and the load snap they give when you open them. The person who won (and handedly at that) just ended up getting monster hands of 4 or 5 goods and played truthfully. He kept getting called on it which just gave him more free money and was able to seal a majority on a few different fronts to launch him further into the lead in the end. I may have been a little too liberal with opening bags when I was the sheriff and paid for it probably more than I should have.

Lastly was Yokaimono, a game that another patron of the local game store is designing. It's probably my favorite game of his and it's nice to playtest along and see how it develops over time, getting more and more polished as it iterates through. He's about to put another of his games up to kickstarter but I hope this one finds its way there at some point as well.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I got a few more games in last night. First was I believe Maximum Throwdown, although I think it may have been some kind of expansion since I think it had a different set of factions.
Sounds like it was the version included in the AEG Black Friday Box.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
I got a few more games in last night. First was I believe Maximum Throwdown, although I think it may have been some kind of expansion since I think it had a different set of factions.
Yes, that is exactly where he got it from. I enjoyed that game. It reminded me of some drinking game that I had played.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Combat Commander: Europe/Mediterranean

Decided to pull the plug on this despite concerns it may be redundant with Up Front. From what I've read about the game, this appeared to be Up Front with map and counters.

Turns out this is closer to Squad Leader than Up Front, despite the obvious influences from the latter (requiring cards to conduct actions, card hand management, and passing turns to discard and refresh your hand). In fact, this may be their hushed love child.

I was able to learn this and start playing during my Thanksgiving Day break. Seems to be less complex when reading the rulebook, but I find myself checking things when I'm actually playing, making it more complex than I originally imagined. I introduced this to my dad while I was still in learning mode, which was a huge mistake. I simply fumbled through my explanations on what to do, and he graciously conceded the game was a bit too complex for his tastes. No doubt that had to do with my lack of preparation, but I was able to set it back up for a glorious solo romp. I tend to like my own company anyway, despite the unusual odor.

I implemented a few ideas to make the solo experience more enjoyable, and the game really took off for me. I will admit that some of the things that happen pretty much defy credibility. For example, one of my leaders was shot, reappeared way over on the other side of the map, exited to score victory points for his side (exiting your units on the opponent's side of the map is one method of getting victory points in this game), then reappeared later in the game back on his side (when your units exit the map, you can place them on the time track for a future turn where they will reappear on your side of the map as a type of reinforcement). I can certainly see why some people might not like this series, particularly serious wargamers. Duel of Ages gets similar criticisms, and that game is even wilder. I believe it was Joker who once said, "Why so serious?" Go, Joker!

I think I'll be able to set the game aside for a while and be able to get it back on the table without too much trouble reaquainting myself with the rules. Up Front, on the other hand, will likely be a game where I'll forget everything I've spent a lot of time learning if I drift from it long enough. That's happened with Mage Knight: the Board Game.

Sergeants: D-Day

I backed this Kickstarter, and the shipping has begun. I'm awaiting my copy, knowing that I'm likely at the end of the shipping queue due to the fact that the known universe constantly conspires against me. You'll hear more from me on this game once it arrives and I pull everything together. Having played it's bigger brother Sergeants Miniatures Game, I'm curious how the system plays with the more compact design. It's basically the same game play as the Miniatures version, but you have smaller tiles for a smaller table footprint, stand-up figures instead of painted miniatures, and movement by tiles instead of by inches.

I can be sociable as well!

Yes, I can play well with other people! I met with my brother and his girlfriend during Black Friday for some gaming goodness. I won't describe the games in any detail, as these are likely already familiar to you:

* Takenoko: My brother and his girlfriend were getting acquainted with the mechanics of the game, so they didn't have many victory cards played by the time I was able to complete my final victory condition to end the game. The game does extend one final turn for the other players as a method of getting any final scoring done, which allowed my brother to complete a couple of victory conditions under the final buzzer to score only 2 points shy of my winning total.

* Dominion/Intrigue: We played one game with just the base set, and we played a second game mixing in some of the Intrigue cards. I really love this game, but then I haven't played it often enough to get tired of it. I recently discovered to my horror that some of my Seaside cards have warped, perhaps from the cardboard mats that are sitting in the box on top of the cards. I also had some heavy boxes stacked on top of the box that likely pushed the mats onto the cards.

* Baldrick's Tomb: Very light, family friendly game. I snagged the 10 gold Gem on the final floor of the dungeon, giving me a hefty winning lead.

I ate a yummy calzone with pepperoni, sausage, onions, and cheese. This was done after the game, so no greasy stains on my stuff.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
That looks like a really interesting mix box of games. Was it just done for a Black Friday sale or a convention or other?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games