Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape
Heroes of Star Wars Scape The place for all your Star Wars customs needs.

Notices

Old June 24th, 2014, 03:27 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
The Holocron of Shield Generator

The Holocron of Shield Generator

Adventure Pack 1: The Battle of Hoth

Rectangular Card
Spoiler Alert!

The figure used for this unit is a custom object.

Character Bio - The DSS-02 Shield Generator was a defensive unit manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards early on in the time of the Galactic Empire. One such generator was used by the Rebel Alliance to protect a portion of the ice-planet Hoth during the Battle of Hoth. The shield generated by the Rebels' DSS-02 was strong enough to withstand bombardment from an Executor-class Star Dreadnought and a flotilla of Imperial-class Star Destroyers. This generator was powered by the base's main reactors, which were stolen from a derelict Praetor-class Star Battlecruiser.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
• N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received:
Classic:
• N/A

HoSS:
• N/A

C3V, SoV & Marvel:
• N/A

Synergy Benefits Offered:
Classic:
• N/A

HoSS:
• N/A

C3V, SoV & Marvel:
• N/A

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
• TBA
-Power Rankings-
• TBA
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-
• Initial playtest: Porkins
• Second playtest: Ninja Status
• Third playtest: Yodaking
• Art by: mac122

Last edited by mac122; February 13th, 2020 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added rectangular card
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Re: The Holocron of Shield Generator

Shield Generator
Destructible Object

Huge 6
Life 6
Defense 5

MASSIVE EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION
When a small or medium figure targets this Shield Generator for a normal attack, add 1 die to its defense.

PERMANENT EMPLACEMENT
This Shield Generator may not be moved by any special power on an Army Card or glyph.
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:30 PM

The easiest way to build the Shield Generator is to use asphalt tiles from the Marvel set. Alternatively, you could use Road/Castle Walk tiles...or really any tiles you have.

But that's the boring way to have a Shield Generator! Here is the cool way:

Build your own Shield Generator following these instructions:

First cut the base out of mat board or thin cardboard using the template for the base in this file. White mat board is easiest, or you can paint it white.

You can use it as is, or for a cool effect, spray the mat with textured paint, then paint the entire thing baby blue. Lastly, overbrush with white:

Now set your base aside and start on the main disks of the Shield Generator. The most difficult part is finding the material to build it with. The material you choose should be about 1 inch thick. I've tried it with white styrofoam and with the gray foam that is depicted below. Neither worked out great, just OK. You could also do it with the pink/blue closed cell foam, cardboard or foamcore circles stacked up, etc. I used a quart sized paint can for a template to cut out two circles.

First I tried a dull razor knife, which was terrible. Then I tried the serrated kitchen knife depicted. This also was terrible, as you can see from the circle on the left. The picture on the right was a sharper razor knife. I also tried using a saber saw, which actually worked quite well. When I did it with the white styrofoam, I used a hot wire cutter. The cutting method you use will depend on what material you choose. After cutting your two circles, cut them in half.

Because the cut surface didn't turn out very smooth, I covered it with a layer of thin foam. This foam is 1/8" thick and is available at art stores and Walmarts. It comes in a good sized package, is not very expensive and is uber-useful for custom terrain projects.

Next add details to your half-circles. For the sides of the disks, press the paint can into the surface of one of the thin foam sheets and cut out the circle. Scissors are easy for this. Use a smaller circular object to mark a line for the inner circle and cut it out. Cut it in half and attack to the disks. Add strips of foam or cardstock on the outer surface. Add smaller half circles of foam on the outer ends. Cut slots, holes, notches, etc. for access panels or whatever. Tear small chunks of foam out that will look like battle damage later. Hot glue is great for gluing on the foam strips, and white glue works well for the cardstock. Here are some pictures with ideas for the details:

Next, set up your Shield Generator pieces on the base and measure the distance between them (in the background of this picture). Then cut toilet paper tube to length and slice in half.

Add details to the toilet paper tube sections as was done with the disks.

Paint everything black, then overbrush (drybrush liberally) with dark gray. For the base black coat, consider mixing white glue into your paint and a little water. This will help to "seal" the foam and harden it a little. The white glue also tends to fill in small gaps and fill in the pores of the foam, giving you a nice surface.

Drybrush with light gray (for comparison: upper piece has been drybrushed, lower one has not).

Drybrush very lightly around the edges of the details with pure white. This gives a snowy appearance (for comparison: one piece in each picture has not been brushed with white).

For the final assembly, I found it easiest to glue down one piece at a time to the base using hot glue. It also makes the finished product stiffer and stronger if you add a bead of hot glue on the end of the toilet paper tube as well. You just need to place it carefully so that you stick the bottom surfaces of the tube to the base at the same time as you stick the open end to the Shield Generator disk.

All done!
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Another method for making a Shield Generator is to use the paper craft Shield Generator found here. I designed the paper model and mac122 did the textures on the surfaces.

- Print on cardstock.
- Cut out the pieces (a cutting board and X-acto knife is the easiest way to do this).
- Glue the four main sections together first. A glue stick is the best way to do this because it is tacky and won't cause the paper to warp like white glue will.
- Glue the smaller segments in between the four main sections.
- Slide the tabs on the bottom of the Shield Generator through the slots you cut into the base piece. Fold over the tabs and glue in place.
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:32 PM

The last method I've tried for making a Shield Generator is using small paper plates and toilet paper tubes. With this method, you will end up with a significantly larger (though more in scale) Shield Generator.

I bought a package of mini paper plates in the party section at Walmart for about $1. Glue two plates together using white glue, then slice in half. Trim off the excess around the edges with scissors.

Three of these sections seems to be about the right size. As you can see from the picture, they are wider at the base than the previous methods, so the disks run off the sides of the base piece.

One possible solution for that problem is to slice the plates off further down, rather than right through the center.

This idea would give you a Shield Generator that would look more like this one:

After gluing and cutting the plates, add toilet paper tubes and paint as explained in the above tutorial.
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:44 AM

If you build a Shield Generator, please share pictures here!
Old July 21st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

PDF card link added to the OP.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old January 20th, 2018, 09:37 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I built one of the fancy ones out of foam for use in the Echo Base Assault scenario map. But I discovered that the orientation of the Shield Generator for the map is 90 degrees off from the base provided here. Not sure if anyone ever noticed that or not. If someone creates the new base here before I do please let me know.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:11 PM

I'm not following what you mean by "90 degrees off from the base provided". Can you post a picture or diagram?
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:06 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I'm not following what you mean by "90 degrees off from the base provided". Can you post a picture or diagram?
Per the map the green spaces are the Generator...

notice the direction of the 5 in line spaces...the inline (as opposed to the staggered hexes) are the long direction...

However the template for the base has 3 hexes inline...the short direction and the long direction is the staggered hexes.

this images shows better...

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:23 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I need to make one of these bad boys for my Imperial assault table for sure out of blue foam.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:05 PM

Ah yes, I remember that now @japes . Sorry, it's been a long time since I've played that scenario. So the scenario and the Shield Generator model were independently developed, and therefore don't exactly align. When I played the scenario, I placed the model in the green hexes and just went with it. The base on the model didn't exactly align with the hexes, but it works.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Heroes of Star Wars Scape