Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old May 26th, 2020, 01:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Brainstorm for Moria Orcs

It's not a power level concern, it's a "keeping track of things" concern. Could be easy for us to overdo it on d20 powers and ways to boost them.

I prefer Unique because I don't think there should be a reason to draft more than one. Unique is simpler than uncommon and I don't see any concrete reason to go uncommon here.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 26th, 2020, 01:15 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good thoughts!

1) D & D Minis: Orc Wardrummer # 56 - War Drums comes up on amazon as available, it looks to be prepainted but I cant tell. The miniature is not out of print, I can research more sculpts.

2) Totally fair, someone just mentioned they wanted to see it as a unique. Nothing changes about the statline or abilities, just the rarity. The name War Drummer or Deep Drummer can be used, the latter is more fitting for Moria.

3) I see that point of view, it's simple and reinforces design. I dont feel super attached to Echoing beats, it could have a different name like WAR PATH or DIRECT THE RABBLE or HERD THE CHAOS or anything in that vein to accomplish the task.

Caps also has a point about overdoing d20 boosts but I thought we were on board with that direction for Orc leaders so that they control the uncertainty a bit more. As long as we design well we shouldnt be able to mitigate things down to zero without sacrificing board control. I mean we cant throw out bonding, boosts and everything all at once or the unit wont do anything... right?
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Ok, Grimnak is an orc and has a 20 sided die roll for Chomp.

I think I'm ok with orc captains boosting Grimnak's chance for Chomp, but it could make Grimnak more powerful against medium heroes.

Also, there is a good reason to draft more than one Orc Drummer--better 20 sided die rolls. So the more captains you draft, the better your die rolls.
Old May 26th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Also, there is a good reason to draft more than one Orc Drummer--better 20 sided die rolls. So the more captains you draft, the better your die rolls.
I agree with making them uncommon, largely because I don't like the idea of 'creating' a name for a character that is never given a name in either the books or the movies.

I also think it's largely a mistake to include more than one of these in an army, since a different Orc Hero would be better (same boost, but without redundant move ability) but there could be a scenario where it's useful (if you wanted to bring your army out in 2 waves, and lose the 1st drummer with the first wave). Probably a mistake overall strategically (in most cases at least) but I don't see any reason to dis-allow it.
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:53 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think this is where we ended up for the Orcs of Moria
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
NAME = ORCS OF MORIA

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = WARRIOR
PERSONALITY = VIOLENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 1 (4 figures)
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 35

CAVE DWELLER
When attacking a figure on a dungeon or shadow tile, add 1 to an Orc of Moria's attack.

ORCISH VIOLENCE
After taking a turn with the Orcs of Moria, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-4, destroy a common Orc squad figure you control adjacent to an Orc Of Moria you control. If you roll an 18 or higher, inflict one wound on an opponent's figure adjacent to an Orc of Moria you control.

--
--
--

--
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:54 PM

And I think this is where we ended up for the archers
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
NAME = ORC ARCHERS OF MORIA

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = ARCHER
PERSONALITY = VIOLENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1 (3 figures)
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 30

CAVE DWELLER
When attacking a figure on a dungeon or shadow tile, add 1 to an Orc of Moria's attack.

ORCISH VIOLENCE
After taking a turn with the Orc Archers of Moria, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-4, destroy a common Orc squad figure you control adjacent to an Orc Archer of Moria you control. If you roll an 18 or higher, inflict one wound on an opponent's figure adjacent to an Orc Archer of Moria you control.

--
--
--

--
Old June 2nd, 2020, 01:18 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looks good! I know that there was a comment about Nimble Climber not making it onto the archers but that may change in design or these may go through a few design direction changes. Who knows.

I do appreciate their simplicity and where they are now, it's a direction that I like. Graspable, simple, memorable.
Old June 8th, 2020, 12:41 PM

Does anyone want to collect our thoughts and discussion over the last however-many posts and put forward a Moria Orc Chieftan design?

--
--
--

--
Old June 8th, 2020, 05:36 PM

MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby!

I am new to HoME but @Archie97 have a great point here. I think that when designing the cards, squads shall be considered only to support the heroes, not be the main part of each players army. Heroes should be front and center in this game.

Currently Working with the Explores of Valhalla Team.

Old June 8th, 2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterScaper1 View Post
I am new to HoME but @Archie97 have a great point here. I think that when designing the cards, squads shall be considered only to support the heroes, not be the main part of each players army. Heroes should be front and center in this game.
Thanks for dropping by. Feel free to stick around and join in any discussions or votes.

I don't think the community is looking for us to change up the metagame.

--
--
--

--
Old June 8th, 2020, 07:38 PM

MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby!

Well I see. I will stick around then, anything you need, I am glad to help!

MasterScaper1

Currently Working with the Explores of Valhalla Team.

Old June 8th, 2020, 07:39 PM

Yup, totally agree. The point of squads should be to work well with heroes in general. I think we are just trying to communicate hoarders mechanics with the Moria crew, and honestly they will rely on their heroes to to avoid losing hard in most cases from the basic idea.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs