Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old August 24th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I'm going to try my hand at starting with the zombie Hulk WK. It looks like you cut a bit from his file already but it looks like an easy one to start using my newfound skills on. I am almost finished with it.
Sounds good. The Zombie Hulk looks like a pretty clean scan. Are you putting it on the peanut base?

For scale, I measured and the Zombie Hulk's original base (in the scan) is 1.9" (4.8 cm). I usually use the grid in Blender to scale the figure's scanned base to the correct size before cutting off the base. The .obj Heroscape single and peanut bases are in inches.

I'm almost finished with the D2 .stl files. And I'll be working on the D3 files next, since I need them for Hexscape, so I'll reserve those.
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:02 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
I'm going to try my hand at starting with the zombie Hulk WK. It looks like you cut a bit from his file already but it looks like an easy one to start using my newfound skills on. I am almost finished with it.
Sounds good. The Zombie Hulk looks like a pretty clean scan. Are you putting it on the peanut base?

For scale, I measured and the Zombie Hulk's original base (in the scan) is 1.9" (4.8 cm). I usually use the grid in Blender to scale the figure's scanned base to the correct size before cutting off the base. The .obj Heroscape single and peanut bases are in inches.

I'm almost finished with the D2 .stl files. And I'll be working on the D3 files next, since I need them for Hexscape, so I'll reserve those.
yes. He is on a small peanut from the file you provided. He looks to be scaled correctly to it but I have to fix a couple of tiny bits by the bottoms of his feet where I cut him from his original base. Thats awesome about the D2 files. I should be able to get with my brother and get him on board as well too. He knows a bit more than me in blender and should be able to help much more quickly than myself for now.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:18 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:

I used clear PETG for my fire elemental and did a red, orange, and yellow wash. I'm happy with how they turned out.

The clear PETG is $28 for 1kg, which is about 100 meters (I haven't done the density calculation). A medium Heroscape figure uses about .5m to 1m of filament. That's about $.14 to $.28 a figure, about a quarter a figure.

Machine time is 20 minutes to 4+ hours depending on the desired resolution and complexity. I use fairly fast settings for mine, since I haven't seen much difference with slower settings. So I'm on the lower end of time. But TREX's printer has better resolution so it probably takes longer.

There is also some time involved in cleaning off support structures after the print.

But the basic material cost is low.
Thanks for this info. It's exactly what I was looking for. Just a general idea. Thanks to @TREX , my son now REALLY thinks we should get a printer. $28 for at least 100 figures doesn't seem like a big loss in learning curve start-up. $0.25 and a couple hours is all I'm losing in a failed test I guess. My worry was actually how much money would I waste trying to get good at this. I don't think I'd be creating my own models anytime soon so I'd be using models I could find around.

And it looks like if I get the same model as someone else I should just be able to use their settings right?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
And it looks like if I get the same model as someone else I should just be able to use their settings right?
The settings are 3D printer and material specific, not model specific. The settings on my printer (Vellemon K8200) are probably very different from those on TREX's printer. And the settings I use for PLA are different from those I use for ABS or PETG.

There will be some learning curve, but less if you use an out-of-the-box type printer. My printer was a kit, and it's taken a lot of tweaking and learning to get it to print well. But the newer printers need less adjustments. TREX got his and was up and printing almost right away (and hasn't stopped since!).

All this to say, if you get a printer with good reviews I don't think the learning curve will be difficult.
Old August 24th, 2018, 11:40 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
The settings are 3D printer and material specific, not model specific. The settings on my printer (Vellemon K8200) are probably very different from those on TREX's printer. And the settings I use for PLA are different from those I use for ABS or PETG.

There will be some learning curve, but less if you use an out-of-the-box type printer. My printer was a kit, and it's taken a lot of tweaking and learning to get it to print well. But the newer printers need less adjustments. TREX got his and was up and printing almost right away (and hasn't stopped since!).

All this to say, if you get a printer with good reviews I don't think the learning curve will be difficult.
I agree with WK. It depends on the model and material. I just switched to a different brand of filament yesterday and brought my heat up 15 degreea Celsius per the recommendation on the filament box. I generally will test new settings on a miniature or something small instead of something big. After dialing in on an orc mini I printed a 9 hr. Rancor that came off the bed this morning. I printed it in one piece at 100mm tall. There are plenty of groups on facebook for each type of machine or tabletop printing that can help tremendously. You will love it japes.

Old August 25th, 2018, 01:05 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Are there files !like these for the zero level tiles...I've been trying to find some ice files to fill out my partial set for a long time. I see TREX has some mountains in his thread so I'm guessing glaciers would be out there somewhere as well.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 25th, 2018, 02:42 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Are there files !like these for the zero level tiles...I've been trying to find some ice files to fill out my partial set for a long time. I see TREX has some mountains in his thread so I'm guessing glaciers would be out there somewhere as well.
There are single hex ice water swamp shadow along with all the glaciers/rocks. It really just depends what color of filament you print in or what you paint it like. I used thingiverse for the glaciers and base tiles. Digitallimit is the author. Make an account and get your library ready for printing before you get your printer.

Old August 25th, 2018, 10:10 AM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Quote:
There are single hex ice water swamp shadow along with all the glaciers/rocks. It really just depends what color of filament you print in or what you paint it like. I used thingiverse for the glaciers and base tiles. Digitallimit is the author. Make an account and get your library ready for printing before you get your printer.
Account created. I also discovered the other index of 3D Stl files here for terrain.

Old August 29th, 2018, 11:46 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

I’m trying to mess around with various programs to see what I can make here. Opening a 2D picture and turning it into a 3D blob with a similar outline is easy enough. Anyone have any suggestions what I should use from there to clean up the blob and turn it into something? I saw someone mention blender, is that any good?
Old August 30th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
I’m trying to mess around with various programs to see what I can make here. Opening a 2D picture and turning it into a 3D blob with a similar outline is easy enough. Anyone have any suggestions what I should use from there to clean up the blob and turn it into something? I saw someone mention blender, is that any good?
Blender can certainly do what you want--at least all the tools are there. I made some 3D Pokemon figures for my son, and they 3D printed pretty well. But I'm not up to doing complex figures like Heroscape models. Blender is free, and is widely used in the 3D community, so there are many tutorials and answered questions online. I use probably less than 1% of its features.

Sketchup, Maya, and Meshmixer are other options, but I'm not familiar with them. I think Sketchup and Meshmixer are free, but I'm not sure about Maya.
Old August 30th, 2018, 10:55 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

A 3D printer has been on my list of eventual wants, but dang you guys are making me want one sooner... Keep up the great work!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 30th, 2018, 11:51 AM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
Blender can certainly do what you want--at least all the tools are there. I made some 3D Pokemon figures for my son, and they 3D printed pretty well. But I'm not up to doing complex figures like Heroscape models. Blender is free, and is widely used in the 3D community, so there are many tutorials and answered questions online. I use probably less than 1% of its features.

Sketchup, Maya, and Meshmixer are other options, but I'm not familiar with them. I think Sketchup and Meshmixer are free, but I'm not sure about Maya.
Cool, I’m gonna dive into that stuff.
I looked up Sketchup. Seems to be browser/cloud based if you use the free version and I could t figure out how to import anything. Thanks for the tips, though

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing