Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 15th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 2/15/19: Dragon Rider]

ELTRIS
Dragon Rider

Valkrill's Vengeance - Growth and Decay (2/4)
Playtesting Results

The figure used is the Wild Elf Warsinger from the D&D: Unhallowed set. Eltris is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • ELTRIS' COMPANION : DRAGON RIDER
    While Eltris is within 2 clear sight spaces of her chosen Companion, she receives an additional attack and defense die from DRAGON RIDER.

• ACOLARH : ULLAR'S AMULET
    As a unit that follows Ullar, Eltris may benefit from Acolarh's ULLAR'S AMULET movement bonus.

• ACOLARH : LEAF OF THE HOME TREE AURA
    As an Elf, Eltris may benefit from Acolarh’s LEAF OF THE HOME TREE AURA defense bonus.

• KYNTELA GWYN : STRENGTH OF OAK AURA 1
    As an Elf, Eltris may benefit from Kyntela Gwyn's STRENGTH OF OAK AURA 1 defense bonus.

• EMIRROON : ELVEN SUMMONING SPELL
    As an elf, Haduc is subject to Emirroon's ELVEN SUMMONING SPELL.
Synergy Benefits OfferedAs always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by Astroking112; January 25th, 2021 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Added a link to some playtests.
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 2/15/19: Dragon Rider]

Thanks to the feedback from @Just_a_Bill , @Angi , and @Zetsubo over in the Discord server, I've restructured Eltris a little bit. Dragon Rider now includes both choosing the companion and taking turns with it, since the two are thematically the same, while the boost whenever Eltris is close to her figure is now separated into a different power.

This new version of Dragon Rider makes taking surprise turns with Eltris significantly easier, letting her rush out and grab height if needed to bring down a solid 6 attack. It should make her a lot more dynamic, instead of essentially being a +1 die carried around the map by her companion.

The other main benefit of this change is that since Order Markers are now directly placed on Eltris instead of the dragon, there is a natural incentive to target her both to end the bonus and to potentially rob the other player of their turns. This removes the need for the Rider's Heartbreak that she originally had, which makes the overall design more straightforward. The downside is that it'll now be easier to rob her dragon of turns, since she's still very squishy by comparison.

Given that all of my tests with her so far have shown her to be pretty underpowered as well, I'm going to go ahead and test her also increasing the move of her dragon by 1 when taking turns through Dragon Rider. It might still need to be adjusted further of course, but in my past games she's basically been a waste of points, so she definitely needed a buff, and since these other changes have their own drawbacks, this seems like a good place to start.
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:38 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 3/10/19: M.A.R.S.]

M.A.R.S.
Mass Artillery Response SoulBorg

Valkrill's Vengeance - Growth and Decay (3/4)
Playtesting Results

The figure used is a Mechwarrior Solaris VII figure from the Heavy Class Action set. M.A.R.S. is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • EXECUTIONER 616 : REMOTE DETONATION
    M.A.R.S. can be exploded by Executioner 616.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • N/A
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by Astroking112; December 3rd, 2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: M.A.R.S. passed SoV! Updated this post to use his new card.
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:06 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I see you got rid of Raised Chassis - Aww I kinda like rarely used but fun powers. Oh well, not imperative.

Maybe since you gave him weaker attack of 2, also give him Double Attack (still keep range at 8). Wording of double attack should start, "When making a normal attack..." so you can only do guns or missiles. Or if you want to go all out, instead of Double Attack give him Machine Gun Special Attack, ripped from Major Q10. There are 4 guns and 40 missile launchers on him. Although that makes him really similar to Major then.
Old March 11th, 2019, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I see you got rid of Raised Chassis - Aww I kinda like rarely used but fun powers. Oh well, not imperative.
The main problem with it was that it actually clashed with the rest of the design a little bit. It was thematic enough in my eyes, but the opposing player is going to try and keep M.A.R.S. engaged to limit his Special Attack, not try to escape from him. I liked it as well, but seen from that light I don't think that it would've ever been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Maybe since you gave him weaker attack of 2, also give him Double Attack (still keep range at 8). Wording of double attack should start, "When making a normal attack..." so you can only do guns or missiles. Or if you want to go all out, instead of Double Attack give him Machine Gun Special Attack, ripped from Major Q10. There are 4 guns and 40 missile launchers on him. Although that makes him really similar to Major then.
The idea behind the weaker attack was actually to make it less desirable. It should make it harder to use him without blowing everything up, with your own units potentially getting caught in the crossfire. Another direction that I was considering was actually reducing the normal range to 1 instead of halving the attack, but I'd prefer to avoid Hoplitron Bonding and my previous tests suggest that he needs at least some kind of normal range for while he's getting into position to be useful.

To that end, I'm hesitant to allow any kind of Double Attack. It'd be fitting for the machine gun on his sculpt, but I'd prefer for Guided Missiles Special Attack to be the main focus for him, since I agree that he would start to feel really similar to Major Q10 otherwise.
Old April 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 4/18/19: Undead Samurai]

This miniature was brought to my intention by Pumpkin_King over on the Discord server, and though I tried, I couldn't resist the urge to design another Samurai.

My first draft involved him as a Unique Hero that would replace the Unique Samurai upon their destruction, constantly returning to the battlefield to try and avenge his comrades. After evaluating it for a little bit, though, I decided that this implementation was far too finicky. Whilst cleaning it up, I toyed around with lowering the price down to 50 (since the Samurai lack a cheap army-building option) and making him an Uncommon Hero, but I felt like this would just lead to far too many Order Marker headaches in practice.

Still, the idea of taking multiple skeletal Samurai seemed far more fitting to me than making another Unique Hero here. It also explores a space that the faction hasn't already, and lets them be cheaper individually to provide more army-building flexibility. I ended up deciding that making the design Common would be a really interesting direction to take it, especially given the imagery of an undead Samurai legion eventually forming.

The other key part of the design besides revival that I wanted to test out was making them survive to the end of the round, no matter how much damage they take. This ability is terrifying on paper, but with a single attack of 3 (even the Izumi provide a better offense), the Shinda Samurai would be best served as defenders and blockers for when you lose a key Samurai figure, which was always one of the worst feelings in the army. They make it easier to secure board control for an army that is crippled by a single whiff, either guaranteeing that you'll stay on a glyph for a round if you can reach it or tying down an attacker and watching them squirm for the round.

Overall, I don't see these guys as transforming the entire army on their own, but they provide a really nice and thematic expansion, along with some more technical options for the Samurai. They're probably best when only taking one or two of them, and their benefits are really tough to get working against ranged units, but I really like the direction that they're headed.

Anyway, that's my long ramble on the idea. As always, all feedback is welcome!
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I like the Shinda Samurai. It has some very thematic powers. Does Honor Beyond Death work with literally any Shinda Samurai (dead Shinda Samurai, other Shinda Samurai on the board, etc.)? Also, would it stop working if all your Shinda Samurai are dead?

I think they'll be tricky to use, since they do have weak stats on their own and they lack a way to bond with Tomoe or otherwise. Their best use would probably be to replace a destroyed Samurai who has engaged the enemy, functioning as a screen for the rest of your troops. They constantly come back so they won't be too weak if you force the opponent to not ignore them. So I imagine you won't want to replace every dead Samurai with a Shinda, so you can save them for key locations on the battlefield.
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
I like the Shinda Samurai. It has some very thematic powers. Does Honor Beyond Death work with literally any Shinda Samurai (dead Shinda Samurai, other Shinda Samurai on the board, etc.)? Also, would it stop working if all your Shinda Samurai are dead?
Thanks for the feedback! The intent is that any Shinda Samurai can be chosen for Honor Beyond Death, previously destroyed or not. I don't think that the design would work with only specifying previously destroyed, because otherwise they would require a lot of effort to get out of your starting zone, and letting them "teleport" when already on the battlefield doesn't make a difference to their life since they're common and is the best way to reposition them.

It's supposed to still work when all of them have died. Looking at C3V's Ebon Armor, it looks like they added a "For the entire game" clause to the beginning to make that clear, so I'll add that clause into the power along with a clarification that destroyed and undestroyed Shinda can be chosen for Honor Beyond Death. Thanks for catching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile
I think they'll be tricky to use, since they do have weak stats on their own and they lack a way to bond with Tomoe or otherwise. Their best use would probably be to replace a destroyed Samurai who has engaged the enemy, functioning as a screen for the rest of your troops. They constantly come back so they won't be too weak if you force the opponent to not ignore them. So I imagine you won't want to replace every dead Samurai with a Shinda, so you can save them for key locations on the battlefield.
Agreed. Since they can be placed even when not destroyed though, I think that moving them forward to avoid losing board control whenever you suffer a casualty as well is probably the best option.
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Should these guys start on the battlefield at all, honestly?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM

No, but I'm not convinced that it's worth adding the text to specify that. I can't see the player using OMs to move even one of them out of their starting zone, and the opponent has more important targets. The only difference it'll make is cluttering up the starting zone a little more against bombers like Zelrig.

For theme, I think that it makes sense for a small number of skeletal soldiers or an undead curse to jump between the living Samurai. If these guys don't start on the battlefield at all, then it kind of makes me wonder why they only take effect in some battles instead of others (since there isn't a necromancer summoning them or anything).
Old April 20th, 2019, 12:48 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Very cool design! [Apparently, I haven't spread my Rep around enough to give more to Astro.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Should these guys start on the battlefield at all, honestly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
No, but I'm not convinced that it's worth adding the text to specify that. I can't see the player using OMs to move even one of them out of their starting zone, . . .

Agreed. But starting them off map is so easy . . .

HONOR BEYOND DEATH
The Shinda Samurai do not start the game on the battlefield. For the entire game, when a Human Samurai . . .

Guided Missles Special Attack is identical in effect to Deathcommander Mark 3's Explosive Rounds Special Attack, the only difference being the range of 6 (versus 5 for the Deathcommander).

Last edited by kolakoski; April 20th, 2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 20th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Guided Missles Special Attack is identical in effect to Deathcommander Mark 3's Explosive Rounds Special Attack, the only difference being the range of 6 (versus 5 for the Deathcommander).

No, it isn't. They aren't even similar.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards