Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Tripedge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Is this Competitive?

I have an idea for a competitive army but not sure if it would work?

Venoc Warlord
Venoc Vipers x3
Omnicron Snipers x2
Tarn Viking Warriors

Does that sound competitive at all??

Or i could try something using

Taelord
Omnicron Snipers x3
Marcu Esenwein

The Valhalla Society is right.
Melee For Life !
save
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Is this Competitive?

Competitive is a tough word to define sometimes around here. A lot of stuff is posted in the "Competitive Armies Forum" that I don't really think is "competitive", but my definition isn't the same as others.

Competitive (as defined by me for HSers.com) - An army that has a chance to win a tournament without extreme luck in which the players are at least average and playing to win.

In that context, I don't really think either of those armies are competitive. It's the Snipers' fault, really - 3 ranged attacks for 100 Points per squad just doesn't cut the mustard unless your opponents are playing all heroes or uniques.

If Vipers are going to be competitive IMO, they need at least 5 squads AND you need something that forces the opponent to come to you. An example would be:

Venoc Warlord - 120
Venoc Vipers x5 - 320
Raelin - 400
Krav Maga Agents - 500, 20 hexes

You can swap Venoc Warlord and the Krav for Q9 and more Vipers if you want. I'm pretty darn sure that one is competitive.

Taelord is really hard to make competitive at 500 Points. This is as close as I've come (and I like it a lot more at 510 with 10th instead of 4th):

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Krav Maga Agents - 360
4th Massachusettes Line x2 - 500, 13 hexes

or

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Ashigaru Harquebus x4 - 500, 18 hexes

You need as many attacks as you can get for Taelord to boost. The first army attempts to lure the opponent in with the Taelord-boosted Krav, and then use Wait then Fire + Taelord to slaughter with Mass. I like the 10th a lot better because I like them more as a melee screen for the Krav. The second army just sets up a bunch of shooters in a pod and rains down fire. Dies pretty quickly, though.... I think Q9 would be much better than Taelord in that one.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Competitive is a tough word to define sometimes around here. A lot of stuff is posted in the "Competitive Armies Forum" that I don't really think is "competitive", but my definition isn't the same as others.

Competitive (as defined by me for HSers.com) - An army that has a chance to win a tournament without extreme luck in which the players are at least average and playing to win.

In that context, I don't really think either of those armies are competitive. It's the Snipers' fault, really - 3 ranged attacks for 100 Points per squad just doesn't cut the mustard unless your opponents are playing all heroes or uniques.

If Vipers are going to be competitive IMO, they need at least 5 squads AND you need something that forces the opponent to come to you. An example would be:

Venoc Warlord - 120
Venoc Vipers x5 - 320
Raelin - 400
Krav Maga Agents - 500, 20 hexes

You can swap Venoc Warlord and the Krav for Q9 and more Vipers if you want. I'm pretty darn sure that one is competitive.

Taelord is really hard to make competitive at 500 Points. This is as close as I've come (and I like it a lot more at 510 with 10th instead of 4th):

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Krav Maga Agents - 360
4th Massachusettes Line x2 - 500, 13 hexes

or

Taelord - 180
Raelin - 260
Ashigaru Harquebus x4 - 500, 18 hexes

You need as many attacks as you can get for Taelord to boost. The first army attempts to lure the opponent in with the Taelord-boosted Krav, and then use Wait then Fire + Taelord to slaughter with Mass. I like the 10th a lot better because I like them more as a melee screen for the Krav. The second army just sets up a bunch of shooters in a pod and rains down fire. Dies pretty quickly, though.... I think Q9 would be much better than Taelord in that one.
I only play with my friends because i have never found anyone else where i live that plays heroscape .. sadly but all i have is 3 sets of vipers and they were hard to get. So sadly that is all i have. If you look at one of my other posts it shows all my heroes and squads if it would be possible could you look at making an army out of those ?

Melee For Life !
save
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

The best I could do for you fairly quickly is this:

Major Q9 - 180
Raelin RotV - 260
Krav Maga Agents - 360
Marro Stingers x2 - 480
Marcu Esenwein - 500, 13 hexes

Q9 and Raelin are probably the 2 best heroes in the game. The Krav Maga are sick with Raelin. The last 140 Points is really up to you - anything with Q9/Raelin/Krav will be good. Marcu is great to send at a glyph on the first turn, and the Stingers are good against pretty much everything.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM

elitebeatk is surprisingly tart

Plain out competitive armies are no fun. Your friends will (eventually) no longer play with you if that army is repeatedly used. I speak out if experience.

Last edited by elitebeatk; December 28th, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitebeatk View Post
Plain out competitive armies are no fun if your opponent isn't fielding a similar army. Your friends will (eventually) no longer play with you if that army is repeatedly used. I speak out if experience.
Fixed.

I think heroscape can be enjoyed a lot of different ways, so long as both people are trying to enjoy it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitebeatk View Post
Plain out competitive armies are no fun. Your friends will (eventually) no longer play with you if that army is repeatedly used. I speak out if experience.

Generally me and my friends just play for fun .. but i want something that works rather than random teams that i build in 5 min

Melee For Life !
save
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM

elitebeatk is surprisingly tart

Try this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion