Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Tarvalon Woo who?
Looking for Advice

Hey everyone,

I started playing HeroScape about 3 weeks ago when my little brother and I were in target and looking for a game to play. We've been having a blast playing, but I'm having difficulty balancing the game so that we both have a fair chance to win (he's only 8, so even point distributions just isn't fair).

I've played around with giving him extra points and keep changing the amount of bonus points he gets, but it's pretty much always lopsided in one of our favor, since he either gets too many bonus points or not enough, just can't seem to get it right.

I was wondering if any of you had any advice for a good (and hopefully unique!) way to level the playing field? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, are there any common house rules that most people play with? Like, if a piece is flanked, the flankers roll extra dice, etc? I'm aware we could play whatever way we'd like, but I was just curious if there were some pretty common house rules that add a little spice to the game.

Thanks!

~ Tarvalon
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart
Re: Looking for Advice

Not sure what flanked means, do you mean engaged? And I'm not sure about what bonus points you are giving him.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Windy_City_Hawk has disabled reputation

I notice you are in the Chicago area; what part? I too live in Chicago (south), and was just curious as I do not get to play often.

My son is 9 and we have played the Basic game a few times, but it seems he is not able to strategize and think ahead enough for our games to be evenly matched. He hasn't even gotten to the Advanced game yet as I know there are just way too many variables to weigh!

temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker

I do this all the time for my 8 year old bro. Just give him height and 200 more points. (and try to give him advice every now and then)

Dave Grohl + Josh Homme + John Paul Jones= awesome

Tarvalon Woo who?

By flanked I mean a 1 v. 2(+) situation, a group surrounding an individual.

As far as bonus points, I meant when drafting armies. If I were to draft a 500 point army, for example, I let him draft, say, a 550 point army.

Does this make sense?
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM

Tarvalon Woo who?

200 points! He'd wipe the floor with me

Giving him a height advantage all the time is a good idea, however. I'll keep that one in mind. Thanks for all the quick replies guys!

P.S. I'm out in the 'burbs.

** Edit ** - Sorry for the double post.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM

temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker

OK, 50 and glyghs plus height.
PS: I would +rep. you but I need to recharge

Dave Grohl + Josh Homme + John Paul Jones= awesome
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarvalon View Post
By flanked I mean a 1 v. 2(+) situation, a group surrounding an individual.

As far as bonus points, I meant when drafting armies. If I were to draft a 500 point army, for example, I let him draft, say, a 550 point army.

Does this make sense?
That's what I thought you meant. I know of a few units that add defense when adjacent to other members but as far as I know it hasn't been done with attacking. It sounds like a good house rule.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Heroscape CodeX has some good customs in most editions. It's a fan magazine that is very popular among us. It has lots of good stuff, icluding good custom rules, so you should check it out. Download the latest issue!

http://www.hscodex.com/

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

First of all welcome to 'Scape! I'm sure Aldin, Rev and the rest of the welcome wagon will be along shortly.

Balance with a younger or less experienced player is tough. Obviously you could play basic rules which tends to be self leveling. Another thing is to use the draft, as he gets familiar with certain units, he will want them more often. Learning to use the units together can be the most important aspect of the game, and he may need a nudge here and there. Also, glyphs and other enhancements may turn the tables, maybe placing a glyph nearer to his side will add advantage that can be overcome by you capturing it. Adding Raelin to boost his defense will also help.

As far as house rules, anything is open. Check the other additions section for examples of house rules. Figures have universal facing, so flanking attacks aren't usually added, but you could house rule it if you wanted.

Additionally, although you don't give your age, I'd suggest volunteering for more chores to boost your allowance. You will soon find the need for expasion packs, terrain, castles, etc, Maybe a part time job is in order. As you read through the forums you will see some folks get rather "immersed" in their Heroscape.

Good luck and welcome again.
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:05 AM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

*cough* Dr. Wierscaper *cough*

Yeah, he owns all of it.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:09 AM

Tarvalon Woo who?

@ElfArcher - That newsletter is great, I've started glancing around it, I'll certainly be reading it over the weekend.

@Dennys - Thanks for the warm welcome! Those are certainly some great tips and I'll be sure to keep them in mind, and will more than likely use all of them. As far as an allowance...I wish I had one growing up . I graduated from college in the spring and am staying at home saving money for a down payment on a condo downtown. With the housing market the way it is and the recent housing bill that was just passed, I have more power as a buyer and resources at my disposal than I will likely (and hopefully) ever see again in my lifetime.

So, I try not to spend too much on games, but yes, I know they can get addicting quickly! We have one of each master set now, which should last us for some time. We just got the RotV, still haven't even played with it yet, so I'm looking forward to using it! Speaking of which...how do you handle two of the same person being available? Both Raelin and Sgt. Drake Alexander are in both sets, but they have different point values and altered abilities. Can you draft both in the same army since they aren't exactly identical, or are they still technically the same unique?

Finally, if you were to recommend one expansion as the first expansion to pick up down the road, which would it be? And more importantly, why?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

** Edit ** - Wow, that's a lot of HeroScape! What's the biggest battle he's ever put together? I'd imagine it'd be massive!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion