Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM

Eak is surprisingly tart
3 Player Games - Ethics?

When a fourth player is not available, we play 3 player games. Usually, two players team up on the 3rd player to take him down, but is that ethical? I'd like to hear some people's opinions on a few situations I've seen.

1. Teaming up - Two 500 point armies against your 500 point army. Doesn't seem fair, does it? But what if you're the more experienced player, and you can fend off the armies well?

2. Attacking one player only - One of your opponents has deemed it his mission to make sure you lose the battle. Your other opponent is attacking whatever he can. Do you attack the player only attacking you, or attack the other player? Is it right for one player to focus on one player only, leaving the other player alone?

3. Pacifist - One of your opponents is attacking your units, and you're attacking his. Meanwhile, the third player is having his orcs dive into the water turn after turn.

4. Aiding other players - After a vicious free-for-all, you and another player's armies are about equal, with the third player's army a bit lacking in numbers. The third player's Finn dies, and instead of placing it on one of his own units, he places it on the other player's Airborne elite card, which drops the next round and takes a good chunk out of your army.

So, what exactly is fair in a 3-player game? You can't always focus on both players, so you can't attack them equally.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:18 PM
<>character<>

LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 3 Player Games - Ethics?

Have one person play two armies and the do a 2v2. Then all players will get attacked equally. Usually.

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:23 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When we only have three players, we generally have one player rocky two armies. Pretty much everyone in our group can handle two armies, so it isn't a big deal. Every once in a while, we build maps that naturally form two fronts for each player, so everyone has an even battle.

I really don't think it's too even a battle if two 500 point armies are taking on one 500 pointer because:

1. There are two order markers/attacks per turn against one, which is tough to handle for any player.

And 2, the player playing the lone 500 pointer has to kill 1000 points to win, when each of the teammates really only needs to take out 250 points to carry their load in the battle.

Unless the single player is given a strong terrain bonus such as a fortress or automatic high ground early, two 500 point armies vs. one 500 point army won't result in a very even game.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM

Btvs01 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
When a fourth player is not available, we play 3 player games. Usually, two players team up on the 3rd player to take him down, but is that ethical? I'd like to hear some people's opinions on a few situations I've seen.

1. Teaming up - Two 500 point armies against your 500 point army. Doesn't seem fair, does it? But what if you're the more experienced player, and you can fend off the armies well?

1. I would have two 500 pt armies against a 1000 point army. IMO that would be fair and even.

2. No, that's not right, but in war, that sometimes happens.

3. LOL That's what I would do. Let players 2 and 3 duke it out and play cleanup when all the units are weak.

But, really, in 3 player games you really can't have a perfect game without one person ganging up on another IMHO, but you can agree on a rule that you only attack the person to your right or left. But even that leaves the other person vulnerable. Your best bet is answer # 1

Buffy is the life! Life is the Buffy!
Shaniqua is mah idol!
Mah Customs!(Alot!)
Terrain Customs!: Zombie City Scape
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

When we do 3 player games what we typically do is determine the winner by who killed the most points. This typically precludes the forming of any alliances and from one player turtling while waiting for the other two to kill each other off.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Sorry, double post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btvs01 View Post

1. I would have two 500 pt armies against a 1000 point army. IMO that would be fair and even.

3. LOL That's what I would do. Let players 2 and 3 duke it out and play cleanup when all the units are weak.

But, really, in 3 player games you really can't have a perfect game without one person ganging up on another IMHO, but you can agree on a rule that you only attack the person to your right or left. But even that leaves the other person vulnerable. Your best bet is answer # 1
Even #1 would be somewhat unfair unless the person with the 1000 point army got to use 2 sets of order markers. It isn;t so much the points as the fact that the allied players would get two turns against the lone player for every one turn the lone player got.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:42 AM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

this always happens when we play games. My friend uses the marro hive, and me and my brother team up on him until it's dead.

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Sorry, double post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btvs01 View Post

Even #1 would be somewhat unfair unless the person with the 1000 point army got to use 2 sets of order markers. It isn;t so much the points as the fact that the allied players would get two turns against the lone player for every one turn the lone player got.
It does work well for a castle siege. I think 2 vs 1 with equal total points per side is the way to go. The 2 sets of order markers attacking the castle makes up for the inherent advantages of the 1 set of order markers defending the castle.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

One of my favorite parts of three player ffas is the politicing that goes on when we're trying to convince the attacking player to go after the other guy.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

In the words of TheMind,,,"Tripolarity sucks."

That said, all is fair in 3-player games. If you don't enjoy the potential for one guy to get ganged up on and obliterated, try playing that a player wins if the player to his left is killed.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

You could always have all players field 2 armies. Then it could become a 3v3 game. Very nasty results indeed

(Inspired by Sylvano)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See Three-player free-for-alls: how to structure them. My revised advice (what I do in multiplayer games):

In FFA games at the end of the round, each player should count up how many players he/she rolled attacked dice against (not used special powers to wound/kill) that round and roll a 20-sided die. Follow the below chart to either wound one of your figures or bring back a squad member or remove a wound from a hero (but not resurrect a hero).
Code:
3 Players (or 4+ after down to 3 players):
Attacked  D20:	0 - 5	6 - 10	11 - 15	16 - 20
0		Wound	Wound	-	-
1		Wound	-	-	Heal
2		-	-	Heal	Heal

4+ Players:
Attacked  D20:	0 - 5	6 - 10	11 - 15	16 - 20
0		Wound	Wound	Wound	-
1		Wound	Wound	-	-
2		Wound	-	-	Heal
3+		-	-	Heal	Heal
Once it is down to 2 players, the wound/heal roll goes away. It makes the game last longer but stops turtling, and people go out of their way to attack 2 or 3 different players a round. Squads/bonders and multiple special attackers usually end up splitting which players they attack. Truces still form between 2 players but they don't last long (say until a dragon or Q9 from another player is dead).

My original idea:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by lefton4ya; May 17th, 2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Long overdue edit of #s

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles