Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Main event armies

I like that they're making folks think outside the box. Day 2 has a 50% chance of 75 more points, a 33% chance of 100 more points, and a 17% chance of 140 more points.

Every strong option that immediately jumps to mind involves playing day 1 very light so that you have lots of day 2 options. Here's one that involves a little less finagling:

80 Raelin RotV
80 Deathreavers x2
180 Major Q9
150 10th Regiment x2
490, 19 hexes

So, only 10 points light.

If the skull hits, add Isamu and another squad of 10th, for 575/24.
If the shield hits, add Airborne Elite for 600/23.
If the symbol hits, add Q10 (Or Cyprien?) for 640/21.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Main event armies

I posted this over in the 500 pt thread, but it's probably better here.

Even though I won't make it there this year, I really like the reinforcements idea. At first glance, this is probably what I would play if I wanted to win:

Q9 - 180
Raelin - 260
Laglor - 370
Krav - 470
Dumutef - 495

Reinforced by:

575 - Deathreavers x2
600 - Deathreavers x2, Marcu
640 - Deathreavers x3, Marcu, or possibly Nakitas / Skahen + Marcu

It would also be interesting to leave the 30 points completely off the table to give yourself more options for Day 2. If I left the Dumutef off of the above army, I could reinforce with Deathreavers x2 + Marcu/Dumutef at 575, Deathreavers x2 + Marro Warriors at 600, and Deathreavers x3 + Marro Warriors at 640.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I guess Knights are an easy one to be flexible with.

210 Knights of Weston x3
105 Sir Gilbert
185 Nilfheim
500, 15 hexes

At 575, add still more knights for 570/19.
At 600, add Hawthorne and Isamu for 600/16. (ETA: or KMA, duh)
At 640, add Alistair and Eldgrim for 640/16, or two squads of knights for 640/23, or two squads of 4th mass (valiant once Nilfheim goes down).

ETA: working backwards from that last iteration of the 640 leads me to some good mixed KoW/4th approaches, although you have to play light on day 1:

210 Knights of Weston x3
105 Sir Gilbert
140 4th Mass x2
455, 21 hexes

At 575, add Alistair (or Thorgrim+Eldgrim) for 565/22(23)
At 600, add Alistair+Eldgrim for 595/23
At 640, add Nilfheim for 640/23, and save the 4th for after Nilfheim goes down.

Last edited by dok; July 17th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I guess Knights are an easy one to be flexible with.

210 Knights of Weston x3
105 Sir Gilbert
185 Nilfheim
500, 15 hexes

At 575, add still more knights for 570/19.
At 600, add Hawthorne and Isamu for 600/16.
At 640, add Alistair and Eldgrim for 640/16, or two squads of knights for 640/23, or even two squads of 4th mass (valiant once Nilfheim goes down).
It's still in the realm of theoryscape for me, but the advice in the Gilbert Book and elsewhere is that he does not play nicely with other champions (with Eldgrim as a possible exception). With that rule of thumb, I think I'd rather add the Krav Maga, or another set of Knights and Eldgrim, at the 100pt reinforcement mark.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Yep, and I think the KMA version won a recent 600-point event. That looks like the best 600 point option.

I must admit, I'm quite enamored with the 640 point version where the 4th stay back until Nilfheim gets killed. It seems very workable; only two places for your OMs at any given time.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM

80 Arrow Gruts x2
50 Swog Rider x2
120 Krug
80 Raelin RotV
10 Isamu
150 Cyprien Esenwein
490, 15 hexes

At 575, add Sonya Esenwein and another squad of AGs for 575/19.
At 600, add Sonya Esenwein, another squad of AGs, and another Swog, for 600/21.
At 640, add Sonya Esenwein, two more squads of AGs, and another Swog, for 640/24.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey, based on what R˙chean said, this info is subject to change. But it probaly won't.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Since we won't know for awhile what Wave 9 will bring, I'm not losing any sleep over this yet. Most of the armies that I'll be considering will probably stick close to the point/hex limit. Why plan for day 2 too heavily before you're there?

I'm leaning towards playing a 3x rat army that sits at 495,* so that if I go to day 2 I can play Raelin no matter what, but it might be better just to play Raelin.

*Either:
3x Rats
3x Stingers
Nilfheim
Isamu (24 hexes)

or:
3x Stingers
3x Deathreavers
Cyprien
Sonya (23 hexes)

I posted my main event army choices last year and didn't make it to day 2, but I don't think it's because of that. I also posted the top 2 armies and one of the armies that ended up beating me, but they would have come up with them on their own. The only potential choice that I didn't share on the forums at the time was Red Wings of Death- 3x Minions/Zelrig. It was a somewhat risky army that I thought had a lot of potential. Codeman played it and came just as close to making day 2 as I did with Vanilla Ice. (I think we were 18th and 19th).

The two main contributors to this thread won't be going. Will lonewolf come in too to show us all the armies that he'd take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; April 15th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Knights x 4 - 280
Gilbert - 385
Krav - 485

Day 2 - 90 points - Knights x 1 or Hawthorne or Finn + Isamu
115 points - Alastair
155 points - Finn + Knights x 1 (sit a knight)

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
Hey, based on what R˙chean said, this info is subject to change. But it probaly won't.
The parameters for this event are solid, they will not change.

Gilbert 105
3xKoW 210
2x4th 140
Eldgrim 30
485 / 22

Day 2 @ 575 = add Finn (565 / 23)
Day 2 @ 600 = add Alastair (595 / 23)
Day 2 @ 640 = Sir Dupuis (635 / 24)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
*Either:
3x Rats
3x Stingers
Nilfheim
Isamu (24 hexes)

or:
3x Stingers
3x Deathreavers
Cyprien
Sonya (23 hexes)
I was wondering how close to the vest you (and other attendees) would play it.

I like both of those armies a lot. The biggest criticism I can give is that you seem to be playing for the skull. That's the most likely outcome but it's still only 50/50. At 575 with Raelin, you're great. But if the shield hits, you're left deciding whether you'd rather dump a(nother) rat for Marcu, and at 640, all you can do is toss in Shotgun Sullivan and hope for the best.

That's what I like about the three two* armies I came up with; they all spool out to decent options at each point level. Both my Knights/Nilf and Arrow Grut/Cyprien versions seem right up your alley.

* in retrospect, the army I led off the thread with, while it may fit point-wise, is sort of forced. It's kind of an "A- junk" army. But Knights/Krav/4thx2 all seem like great upgrades for the Knight/Nilf army, and the flexibility of adding Swogs or Arrow Gruts allows the other army to scale up nicely as well.

Last edited by dok; April 15th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

The hope was that the reinforcemnts would shake things up and cause some interesting builds.

The concern was that players might gravitate to a certain reinforcment scheme, like running 10 pts light on Day 1 then going: plus Raelin at 575, plus Krav or AE at 600, or plus Q10 at 640.

So far, the army ideas and reinforcment schemes seem varied enough.

The tron build seems to take the biggest hit with this format. Maybe I am just not thinking it through...

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion