Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Ixe's Custom Units

UTGAR UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

VALKRILL UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

VYDAR UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

EINAR UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

AQUILLA UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

JANDAR UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

ULLAR UNITS
Spoiler Alert!

SINGLE POWER SCI-FI WAVE
Spoiler Alert!

FACTIONS AND CYCLES
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Ixe; August 26th, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

I like this guy a lot! The trade-off between the powers is great, I like units that have interesting choices.

A few wording suggestions :

LDS: "Each time VTB destroys a figure with a normal attack, you may remove one wound marker from this card." You can dispense with the second sentence then (I know Cyprien has the DO clause, but DOs aren't figures!)

For whatever reason, I think Sacrificial Cone needs a better name. "Dark Soul Cone"? "Cone of Darkness"? "Rocky Road Cone With Sprinkles and Utgar Sauce"? OK maybe not that last one. I think the wording works, I am not sure how to make it clearer than what you have here. You can say "this card" at the end to save on some verbiage.

Nice work, looking forward to more of your customs.
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
I like this guy a lot! The trade-off between the powers is great, I like units that have interesting choices.

A few wording suggestions :

LDS: "Each time VTB destroys a figure with a normal attack, you may remove one wound marker from this card." You can dispense with the second sentence then (I know Cyprien has the DO clause, but DOs aren't figures!)

For whatever reason, I think Sacrificial Cone needs a better name. "Dark Soul Cone"? "Cone of Darkness"? "Rocky Road Cone With Sprinkles and Utgar Sauce"? OK maybe not that last one. I think the wording works, I am not sure how to make it clearer than what you have here. You can say "this card" at the end to save on some verbiage.

Nice work, looking forward to more of your customs.
I was tempted to make life draining sword only apply to his normal attack since it is so much cleaner, but I wanted it to work for leaving engagement strikes as well because he is really doing that with his sword, too. I have the DO clause purely because of Cyprien, but if it's okay to drop I have no issue doing so.

I also am not in love with the name of his special attack. His original draft had the same area as Brimstone's ability and I called it "Unholy Sacrifice." Viceron is actually loosely inspired from the Dark Knight Class from Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (an utterly fantastic turn based rpg). The Dark Knights have the ability to heal themselves with one of their special attacks and can use their own life force to power a cone attack called "Abyssal Blade" and a burst attack called "Unholy Sacrifice."

My problem here is that I wanted two things to be clear with the name: It is a cone and it is an ability fueled by your own life force through some sort of blood magic. The cone ability is completely new and does not read that intuitively. I think I do myself a lot of service in tipping players off that it's a cone and letting that work for them as they try to suss out how they have to construct this area. Without some kind of sacrifice term, I wonder if the theme of how it wounds him becomes lost on players. They might think he just becomes tired from doing it like overextending or what have you. As long as it the idea that it's a cone and why it is self damaging is carried through, I am completely okay with changing it. I even gave him the moniker, "the Bloody," to try to carry the blood knight theme through instead of narrowing his class too much to something highly specific.

Thank you for your support and response, IshMEL. I've got plenty of ideas for customs that I'll be eking out as I tinker around with them a bit more. Next up for me is a unique squad of dark knights (apparently I'm on a dark knight kick) that use the souls of their enemies as a shield in battle and can use these souls to fuel a dark resurrection for one of their own. I think they have a lot of potential and I'll throw them up as soon as I've tweaked them a bit after playtesting.
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I hadn't considered LEA's -- I think you're best off saying "destroys with a normal attack or leaving engagement attack" to remind everyone that it still works then, IMHO.

As for names -- maybe "Cone of Soul Shards" -- like the sacrificed wound releases his dark Utgarish soul? I see what you are going for. Maybe "Blood Sacrifice Cone"?
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I hadn't considered LEA's -- I think you're best off saying "destroys with a normal attack or leaving engagement attack" to remind everyone that it still works then, IMHO.

As for names -- maybe "Cone of Soul Shards" -- like the sacrificed wound releases his dark Utgarish soul? I see what you are going for. Maybe "Blood Sacrifice Cone"?
Maybe including LEA's. But then I worry about if there is some glyph or power that can eventually be created that gives him some other way of destroying, like a treasure glyph granting him counterstrike or some such. I wonder if I'm going to be so specific to include everything but his special attack, maybe I should just be specific in excluding his special attack.

I like both of "Cone of Soul Shards" and "Blood Sacrfice Cone" better. I think I'll go for the latter since it can then be more clear why he is so bloody .
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:30 AM

I've just added the Knights of Elguard to my public customs. Feel free to let me know what you think.
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Interesting looking unit, I do like the use of Soul Markers and the ability to bring back the member of a Unique Squad. For "Shield of Lost Souls" I agree that you don't need any exceptions for harvesting souls, I wrestled with this question before and I think the Death Knights set the right precedent for this power. Everyone has some kind of animating spirit. You may need to say "destroyed with an attack" -- if one of them is on a Glyph of Wannok, did he "destroy" the figure? You might consider splitting this into three powers -- a "Harvest Souls" one governing the markers, a "Shield of Souls" for the defense boost, and the resurrection one. You've got room and it will make things a bit clearer.

For Dark Resurrection, I don't think you need the "if you have 3 markers" clause since it's covered by "remove 3 markers" later.

My only other suggestion would be on their species -- Human seems off to me if they're able to resurrect. They seem more like "Undead Knights" than "Human Knights," and future customs might interact with these guys in strange ways if they're Human.

Nice one!
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Templates, nice!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Interesting looking unit, I do like the use of Soul Markers and the ability to bring back the member of a Unique Squad. For "Shield of Lost Souls" I agree that you don't need any exceptions for harvesting souls, I wrestled with this question before and I think the Death Knights set the right precedent for this power. Everyone has some kind of animating spirit. You may need to say "destroyed with an attack" -- if one of them is on a Glyph of Wannok, did he "destroy" the figure? You might consider splitting this into three powers -- a "Harvest Souls" one governing the markers, a "Shield of Souls" for the defense boost, and the resurrection one. You've got room and it will make things a bit clearer.

For Dark Resurrection, I don't think you need the "if you have 3 markers" clause since it's covered by "remove 3 markers" later.

My only other suggestion would be on their species -- Human seems off to me if they're able to resurrect. They seem more like "Undead Knights" than "Human Knights," and future customs might interact with these guys in strange ways if they're Human.

Nice one!
As always, thanks for commenting, IshMEL.

I'm not positive that I need to change the wording on Shield of Lost Souls since it is otherwise lifted directly from the Tagawa Samurai. I don't know how things work with Wannok or Mitonsoul, but I'm pretty sure the glyphs are doing the destruction and not the figure. We already deal with this exact issue for any one with Life Drain, or the Zombies, or the Tagawa Samurai, etc. I originally had the power split when I had Shield of Lost Souls as a d20 power that could save a Knight of Elguard if you rolled high enough and you got a bonus for each soul marker on the card. I feel fine keeping it as is given that it reads exactly as Bloodlust save it gives a defensive bonus. The original called the Soul Marker aquisition power Well of Lost Souls.

You're probably right about the wording for the markers on Dark Resurrection. I was just worried that it could be interpreted that you could use it if you didn't have all three Soul Markers yet.

Making them human is a bit of a concern for me, and I think undead might work better. I was hesitant to do so because I don't think I can sell the Cleric of Nerull miniature as undead (it's the only one whose skin you can see). If it weren't for that one miniature, I think it's pretty straight forward if they are undead or even some kind of golems that use souls as fuel to power their hollow suits of armor. Otherwise, I wouldn't be adverse to give them some new obscure type that sets them apart. Some kind of word for suggesting them suggesting them to be soulless and not quite human, but not necessarily undead. I'd just need to come up with a good name for it.

flamesayer93, thank you for posting but I'm not sure if I quite understand your comment. Are you saying that I have used templates well to make the cards? I grabbed them off the various resources available on the site and went through the Gimp tutorials as best I could.
Old February 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh no, I was refering to your version of wording the Cone AoE attack. The closest other term for it is template, which I like the idea of ^_~

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 02:31 AM

I've added Viceron the Blood Knight to the list. He is nigh identical to Viceron the Bloody except for a few name changes and changing his cone to an AoE blast around himself as Brimstone's Heat Blast.
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM

Viceron the Bloody

Here is my first public custom, Viceron the Bloody. Thematically, he is a blood knight that can use his very life force to power a massive cone of destruction. His sword is capable of draining the life out of those he kills to regain his own wounds.

The miniature is the Thrall of Blackrazor from Unhallowed from D&D miniatures. I count 47 off of abprices alone selling from $2.79-$8.99.

The cone is probably not worded correctly, but I still felt that an attempt at such an area was worth while. I've tried the power with Brimstone's explosion area which plays similarly and can be switched if need be.

In play, Viceron is practically a dragon. His Life Draining Sword and 5 defense can keep him alive despite his 4 life. Sacrificial Cone gives him a powerful and interesting AoE attack that can double as a short range SA. I kept his life lower at 4 so that the SA doesn't get spammed round after round. If is often a tough choice on whether to simply attack or use the SA because of the interaction with wounds. Even with 5 defense, 4 life is awfully fragile and Viceron will lose to many lower cost options in a straight fight. He can fare a bit better against squads because of the Special Attack. While squads can space out to try to minimize the damage from the cone, it can be a little tricky to stop him from getting two or even three figures if he moves around enough. Still, it can sometimes be a greedy choice to rely on the SA only to whiff the attack roll and put yourself down another life in the process.

Unfortunately, Viceron lacks the maneuverability that a dragon typically has and suffers for it. Also, with only 4 life, he is easy enough to tie down in melee and blocked from getting a good cone. He can hold up well with his 5 attack, but with only 4 life the prospect of taking a leaving engagement strike to then use the cone sets him right on death's door. Catching clustered enemies with the SA encourages him to act earlier in a battle, but unsupported he will fold quickly to attacks from the enemy. He is slow enough that many order markers are wasted with him simply moving up.

As such, Viceron plays best by far with bonding and comes to consistently reach or exceed his point total with that. When bonding, he has the best of both worlds by being able to act early and catch clustered enemies while still having a squad to support him. I tried him as a darklord, a warlord, and relentless to bond him with the Wolves of Bardu, the Romans, and the Deathknights respectively. In all of these cases were really where he had the chance to shine. That said, I have him as a Merciless Knight right now with no current bonding options. This is partly aspirational since I would love to see a squad that bonds with a Knight hero and be able to dust off Sir Dupuis again. It is also because I feel that those other plausible bonding classes and personalities are already a little saturated or would conflict too much with already existing options.

The Ornak-Brunak slingshot was absolutely a concern for me in making a medium unique hero who follows Utgar with a large AoE attack. In practice, I found that it is not necessarily so devastating. For one, there are very few maps where that is even a feasible option to get that off in the first round. Two, the opponent must set up an attractive area for you to cone. Three, you must win initiative. Four, you must roll well and they defend poorly. After all that, it is still a challenge for Viceron to drop his points' worth in one shot and not terribly difficult for the opponent to drop the wounded hero before he gets the chance to try again. After that point, your army has spent 360pts on a combo that has essentially used itself up and has not really advanced a board position. It can certainly end some matches in the first round, but largely will come up short.

That said, I feel that Viceron is bringing a novel idea forward among the interplay of his stats, self-wounding special attack, and Life Draining Sword. Even if the build is wrong, I feel that it is wrong in an interesting way and certainly worth looking at. While it may not be the right wording, I feel that having a cone AoE would only add to the game.

Last edited by Ixe; February 24th, 2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Changing the format of my op so spreading these to links within the post

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards