Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old June 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM

mrcharleswhite is surprisingly tart
Hero Dice - Android Dice Roller for Heroscape

Hello all,

I have gotten a little better in my programming skills and looking at a lot of different examples in the past few weeks. My children and I decided on creating a dice roller for Heroscape and it has taken up much of my time trying to figure it all out as I'm not a programmer.

I have uploaded a dice roller app for Heroscape on the Android market and it is located at the following URL(screenshots provided there as well):

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

With this app you can roll up to 12 dice and should you choose roll up to 12 dice for each general associated with Heroscape (I included Aquilla and Valkrill). The application runs like a basic Yahtzee game in which a random number is rolled but instead of a number it displays an image. Basically, I took a Heroscape die and a regular die and decided that #6 would be HS blank and created the images from there. If the random number is either a 1, 3, or 4 a skull image is shown. If the random number is either 2 or 5 then a shield is shown. If 6 then blank. For the generals instead of blank it displays their symbol.

The basic operation is that you select dice that you DON'T want to roll (which will change into a different image) and then select the Roll Dice image/button. Your results will be displayed. Pressing the menu button will display a menu system that will allow you to select a general which will display their dice activity. Going back will return you to the main screen.

Unfortunately, I feel I have to charge ($1.99 US) for this app due to the amount of time and frustration that it caused me. I equate it to being like buying a custom figure or terrain piece from ebay. I'm not out to get rich off of it but do hope it gets good use(my children and I have been using the protoytpe for a couple weeks now working out kinks).

As always I look forward to your comments, questions, and any issues that you may find with this app.

Thanks,
Charles

A toast to bread, for without bread there would be no toast.
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM

variDice is surprisingly tart
Re: Hero Dice - Android Dice Roller for Heroscape

Just some advise. I know how frustrating this can be, but my dice roller did not sell until I put it down to $.99, and it lets users roll 4 more dice, and many more kinds of dice. My dice roller rolls almost every single kind of dice available, and it works for every single popular game.

As I was saying, if mine did not sell until I put the price down to $.99, yours will probably not sell very well either. Infact, you will make more money if you drop the price, because more people will be interested in it.

It looks great by the way. Even though I have never owned, and never want to own, a computer or smart phone that was not made by Apple, this looks good enough that I would love to try it out. The images are fantastic, the layout is brilliant, and it is obviously very functional. You definitely get reputation for this!
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the imput and compliments. I will look into what is happening on the market and adjust accordingly.

Old June 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

I actually downloaded this app. I think it needs some adjustments. It seems to always have almost all skulls or all shields and never a mix. I don't understand

Old June 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Here is the function that it is using to get the random number.

/**
* Rolls the dice if it is not locked.
*/

publicvoid roll() {
if (!isLocked()) {
value = new Random().nextInt(6) + 1;
notifyObservers();
}

}

When rolling the real dice there is a chance of 3 out of 6 that you can roll a skull, 2 out of 6 that you can roll a shield and a 1 out of 6 for a blank. Basically, the function above does the same thing. It gives a random number between 1 and 6 and then displays the image. In all actuality, the random number is between 0 and 5 and then 1 is added to get to the proper value. From talking with programmers this is an accurate way of getting a random number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan82 View Post
I actually downloaded this app. I think it needs some adjustments. It seems to always have almost all skulls or all shields and never a mix. I don't understand

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software