Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just played heavens of Olympus, 2 games of Dominion, and 5 games of heroscape at a tournament yesterday. Olympus was a nice Euro game. I tied for first and won both 3 player games of Dominion (someone extended the game and gave me a chance to win, i did). I also went 4-1 at the Louisville Tournament and got second place using the Elf Wizard army.

I had a blast yesterday!

Old August 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Yesterday was a good day of gaming. Here is the rundown:

Quarriors x2 - Fun little game. I like the dice and the attacking amongst players. Not earth shattering, but I enjoy it more than Dominion.

Navegador - My first of this game my buddy learned and bought at GenCon. It was a good deep euro game with a rondel. I liked it and would play it again.

The Resistance x3 - Three very good games of this one with lots of back and forth and lying. I like this because you get right down to finding the spy. No other gamey stuff to slow it down. BSG still has its place for me, but I really like The Resistance.

Dune x2 - I love this game and want to play it all the time. First was a super fast Atreides win and the second was a joint Harkonnen/Atreides victory after a long attrition fest. Traitors abounded and my lasegun slew many foes.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgrant View Post

Quarriors x2 - Fun little game. I like the dice and the attacking amongst players. Not earth shattering, but I enjoy it more than Dominion.

Navegador - My first of this game my buddy learned and bought at GenCon. It was a good deep euro game with a rondel. I liked it and would play it again.

The Resistance x3 - Three very good games of this one with lots of back and forth and lying. I like this because you get right down to finding the spy. No other gamey stuff to slow it down. BSG still has its place for me, but I really like The Resistance.

Dune x2 - I love this game and want to play it all the time. First was a super fast Atreides win and the second was a joint Harkonnen/Atreides victory after a long attrition fest. Traitors abounded and my lasegun slew many foes.

I found a sealed copy of this at Goodwill for $1.99 a month ago. Giant worm cover, no Sting in sight.

Here's my final review for a little while on Martian Dice. A simple game that packs a ton of fun in such a little can.
Enjoy!
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6862...ld-em-know-whe

I got to get working on writing up my variant report on The Adventurers The Temple Of Chac!

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgrant View Post

I found a sealed copy of this at Goodwill for $1.99 a month ago. Giant worm cover, no Sting in sight.

Here's my final review for a little while on Martian Dice. A simple game that packs a ton of fun in such a little can.
Enjoy!
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6862...ld-em-know-whe

I got to get working on writing up my variant report on The Adventurers The Temple Of Chac!
The new game set in the Twilight Imperium world is basically a Dune retheme. I might pick it up based on all the great stuff I have heard about Dune.

Has anyone here played Warmachines? They have $250 bucks worth of Warmachine stuff for $100 bucks at my game store. Is it worth playing? I've never played a minis game outside of Heroscape, but I love competative gaming.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Played a lot of games at the RGC picnic today
Quarriors, Summoner Wars, Puppet Wars and Sentinels of the Multiverse
Good to see you again, Jormi. Had a lot of fun, wish I had been able to really partake in the gaming. Puppet Wars looked really interesting. I'd love to actually give it a try. I can see a lot of potential though.

I spent the picnic demoing Warmachine. Hopefully I stirred up some interest. I was surprised how many people had stuff that they've never played with.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Quote:
Good to see you again, Jormi. Had a lot of fun, wish I had been able to really partake in the gaming. Puppet Wars looked really interesting. I'd love to actually give it a try. I can see a lot of potential though.

I spent the picnic demoing Warmachine. Hopefully I stirred up some interest. I was surprised how many people had stuff that they've never played with.

What's the best way to get started in Warmachine? That 2 player starter box is coming out, but the individual faction starter boxes seem easier if 1 person isn't buying trying to stir up interest with his friends.

Old August 14th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What's the best way to get started in Warmachine? That 2 player starter box is coming out, but the individual faction starter boxes seem easier if 1 person isn't buying trying to stir up interest with his friends.
Hey Drumline-if you are interested in Hordes, I have some painted Trollblood models I am trying to get rid of. PM if you want them!

Haven't done much in the way of gaming lately, though I really want to get my hands on that Gears of War game, as it sounds superb. Plus, the AI sounds really difficult to fight against.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
It really, really depends on what faction you want to play, and how into it you want to get. Honestly, the 2 player box is a fantastic deal, with at least $100 worth of models for each faction in there. Of course, for that to be worth it, you need to want to play either Khador or Menoth. The main draw of all the starter boxes is that they generally contain pretty straightforward models, that are pretty easy to learn with and also come with some starter rules to get the hang of things. You can also get the starter rules, as well as the rule cards for all the battlebox models here:

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/the-game

We actually played most of our first games with cardboard circles and these printed out rules.

As for getting into the game, I really think the most important thing to do is pick a Warcaster you want to play. They really serve as your avatar in the game and have a huge impact on how your army plays (which is great later since you can swap your Warcaster and have a totally different playstyle with the same army). Once you've got a caster picked out, you can put together ~15 points worth of stuff to make your own battlebox.

Here's a couple good links to browse around for info:

http://www.forwardkommander.com/
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It really, really depends on what faction you want to play, and how into it you want to get. Honestly, the 2 player box is a fantastic deal, with at least $100 worth of models for each faction in there. Of course, for that to be worth it, you need to want to play either Khador or Menoth. The main draw of all the starter boxes is that they generally contain pretty straightforward models, that are pretty easy to learn with and also come with some starter rules to get the hang of things. You can also get the starter rules, as well as the rule cards for all the battlebox models here:

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/the-game

We actually played most of our first games with cardboard circles and these printed out rules.

As for getting into the game, I really think the most important thing to do is pick a Warcaster you want to play. They really serve as your avatar in the game and have a huge impact on how your army plays (which is great later since you can swap your Warcaster and have a totally different playstyle with the same army). Once you've got a caster picked out, you can put together ~15 points worth of stuff to make your own battlebox.

Here's a couple good links to browse around for info:

http://www.forwardkommander.com/
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/
Yeah, looking around I think the Trollbloods, or the Cryx interest me the most. I may go grab a starter box today with a friend.

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan82 View Post
Just played heavens of Olympus, 2 games of Dominion, and 5 games of heroscape at a tournament yesterday. Olympus was a nice Euro game. I tied for first and won both 3 player games of Dominion (someone extended the game and gave me a chance to win, i did). I also went 4-1 at the Louisville Tournament and got second place using the Elf Wizard army.

I had a blast yesterday!
Heavens of Olympos was great, and I think we all did pretty well for our first play through (though I did the best of course ). Dominion was great as well of course, though I think we can all agree I won that second game (I was ahead by like 2 Colonies but decided to have fun after Ben and Tara acknowledged that I could've simply bought the last Province and won; Ben ended up Pirating my lone Platinum then buying 3 Colonies of his own). Congrats on going 4-1 with the Elf Wizards; I'm surprised no one seemed to be able to defeat them even after you made sure they knew how.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Finished up a 15mm Napoleanic miniature battle that our group started last month (3 vs. 2 players). The French were in pretty good shape to get their victory conditions by getting 2 regiments across the road that our Austrians were trying to hold. My infantry units on the right flank(my responsibility) had been getting decimated and routed, but at a critical time my cavalry unit sent 3 of the French cavalry units back 12" to regroup, even though it cost me that cav unit. The French had 2 regiments literally on the road and would cross on their next and last turn, but an Austrian cavalry unit from the center player on our team charged through the French units on the road and next to them and forced them into "square formation", which basically stopped them from being moved on the following turn as they can't move while in square. The center and left flanks were held and in good shape, but due to some bad command rolls on my part (needed to roll 8 or less on 2 d6 to move my infantry to better attacking formations) our right flank was in trouble, but fortunately held out just enough because of 2 great cavalry actions.

Currently I'm in the middle of playtesting the third map/scenario for my DnD variant rules for Heroscape. The first adventure party that's carrying over from the second map is Tandros Kreel (who just got to level 2 and carries the Whetstone Glyph), Ana Karithon ( who just got to level 2), Rhogar Dragonspire (who just got to level 3) and Brandis Skyhunter (who just got to level 3 and carries the Heroic Rune and Talisman of Defense).

They have to defeat either Moltenclaw or Shurrak to win and move on, but in the meantime, they have to go through a bunch of other baddies. So far they have beaten Othkurik, Gurei-Oni and Torin.

After a couple months off this project, I'm finally getting back into it After I test out this map/scenario with lots of parties and variations, I only have 4 more maps to test out for a total of 7

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played a bit of Ticket to Ride Europe this weekend. My strategy as of late has been to discard my longest route, and try to make up for it with more shorter routes. Has not panned out well thus far, as I finished in 3rd.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games