Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM

1red2blue4 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTrainChooChoo View Post
I'm really leaning toward Steamroller right now. I need to practice and playtest but I like the day 2 adds for a shield or symbol.

Base army of course:
Spartacus
Crixus
Gladiators x3
(10 short)
+90 - Gladiators/Guilty
+110 - Gladiators/Marro Warriors
+130 - Gladiatorsx2

It does feel a bit risky, but if I can figure out a few tricks to some of the bad matchups I'd love to play this army.
If you like steamroller, Roman Legionnaires+Morgrim Forgehammer give the same effect of one need of order markers and initiative with the x on Morgrim Forgehammer. Some other Warlords will be effective as well.

x4 Roman Legionnaires 200
Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Marcus Decimus Gallus 100
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Total: 500 Hexes: 21

How do you like it, MainTrainChooChoo?

The only difference is less attack/defense, but more figs in a squad.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post
Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Raelin - 80
Total: 500 Hexes: 19
Fixed.

600 - Romans + MBS, 25 (sit a Roman) or NGS + Isamu, 21
620 - Kaemon Awa, 20 or Valguard + Isamu, 21, or AE + Isamu, 24
640 - NGS + Romans, 24

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Champion of Champions

ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker ManTrainChooChoo knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1red2blue4 View Post

If you like steamroller, Roman Legionnaires+Morgrim Forgehammer give the same effect of one need of order markers and initiative with the x on Morgrim Forgehammer. Some other Warlords will be effective as well.

Morgrim Forgehammer 120
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Air elemental 30
Total: 500 Hexes: 21

How do you like it, MainTrainChooChoo?

The only difference is less attack/defense, but more figs in a squad.
I'm not a fan of the Romans for kind of a strange reason. I think they're too cheap for 500+ point armies. Your start zone can feel cluttered and you lose out on the boosted stats of both Heavy Gruts and Knights. Also Marcus doesn't compare to Grimnak or Gilbert. He mainly serves the purpose of make the romans mimic the stronger bonding squads. Though, I do agree with killercactus on playing Raelin... it's not an army I'd see myself fielding.

The main reason I want to play Steamroller is due to the brute strength of the figures you're taking a turn with. Four Attack is when you go from standard attacks to scary attacks. And when you're attacking with 3 attacks of 4 and 1 at 6.... well that just seems fun.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Hydra x2
AE
Raelin
Rats x2

+90 - Rats/MW
+110 - I would probably go Krav/filler
+130 - 3rd Hydra /filler

Edit, for another:

Hydra
Othkurik
AE
Rats x3

+110 - Krav
+130 - Hydra/filler
+150 - Krav/MW
(plenty of other options)

Last edited by Cleon; April 12th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Personal preferences aside, there are some very good aspects of the Romans, though.

If you keep them bunched together, they're 3-4 just like the Knights.

You don't have to activate Marcus or have clear sight to get his movement bonus, which you can rely on to always be 1 space. You can activate Mogrimm until he's dead and still get the movement bonus.

Since they're cheaper, you can afford 4 squads, 2 heroes AND Raelin, which is something the Knights and Orcs can't do at 500/510. Plus, they like to bunch up anyway, which makes Raelin's job easier with them.

They get +3 to initiative as long as Mogrimm is alive, and if the opponent doesn't have a special attack, that'll be a while, especially with Raelin.

The addition of NGS + Romans is a symbol is rolled is pretty darn sickening (of course, so is the symbol add-on for my KoW army below). The thought of having to kill Mogrimm and NGS, both protected by Raelin, and 20 Romans seems daunting.

Here's the best KoW army I can come up with quickly - I'm not sure which one I like better:

Sir Gilbert - 105
Knights of Weston x3 - 315
Nilfheim - 500, 15 hexes

600 - Knights + Eldgrim, 20
620 - Knights + Marro Warriors, 23
640 - Knights x2, 23

This one has some range and a way to deal with Deathreavers, but less figures on Day 1 and no Raelin.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion