Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old January 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Six months ago I weighed in at 279 lbs. My cholesterol was at 241. My blood pressure was 138/88. My doctor told me to get serious or start looking for medications to would keep those levels in check. I decided to see what I could do about.

My plan was simple.

1. Get 8 hours of sleep each night.

2. Drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day.

3. Track my foods using an online calorie counter, trying to lower my calories and my fat intake.

4. Exercise every 12 hours...I start the day with an hour long walk/run cardio session and finish the work day with a 45 minute strength training regime.

And do you know what? It worked. I'm down 74 pounds as of today. I feel fantastic and my health has improved beyond anything I expected. My cholesterol is at 149 now, and my blood pressure sits at 106/64. Not only do I not have to take any sort of medications I've also solved my back problems, my foot problems, and my snoring problems. The only problem I really have these days is finding a way to keep my pants from falling off of me.

What I do is eat about 1700 calories a day in smaller 300-400 calorie increments. I walk/run 4.5 to 6 miles in one hour every morning. And I do a series of lunges, squats, crunches and pushups every evening. Simple stuff. Every one at work and in my extended family has asked me "what are you doing?" and the answers are really simple. Proper sleep, hydration, diet, and exercise are the keys. If you get all four of those things lined up you can drop serious amounts of weight in a short period of time. It's amazing.
That's it! That's it! Simple fricking discipline and application. MarkWars you walk on water in my world. I'm a personal trainer/coach for 15 years now and I can't tell you how many times I've pounded that into people's heads. Excellent work, I would give you advice but you are doing terrific with what you have been training. Although if you ever want anything more specific than weight loss feel free to ask me. Again great work. May I have permission to print out your above statement for my New Year's crop of newbie’s? They are particularly self-pitying this year.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Six months ago I weighed in at 279 lbs. My cholesterol was at 241. My blood pressure was 138/88. My doctor told me to get serious or start looking for medications to would keep those levels in check. I decided to see what I could do about.

My plan was simple.

1. Get 8 hours of sleep each night.

2. Drink at least 8 large glasses of water each day.

3. Track my foods using an online calorie counter, trying to lower my calories and my fat intake.

4. Exercise every 12 hours...I start the day with an hour long walk/run cardio session and finish the work day with a 45 minute strength training regime.

And do you know what? It worked. I'm down 74 pounds as of today. I feel fantastic and my health has improved beyond anything I expected. My cholesterol is at 149 now, and my blood pressure sits at 106/64. Not only do I not have to take any sort of medications I've also solved my back problems, my foot problems, and my snoring problems. The only problem I really have these days is finding a way to keep my pants from falling off of me.

What I do is eat about 1700 calories a day in smaller 300-400 calorie increments. I walk/run 4.5 to 6 miles in one hour every morning. And I do a series of lunges, squats, crunches and pushups every evening. Simple stuff. Every one at work and in my extended family has asked me "what are you doing?" and the answers are really simple. Proper sleep, hydration, diet, and exercise are the keys. If you get all four of those things lined up you can drop serious amounts of weight in a short period of time. It's amazing.
That's it! That's it! Simple fricking discipline and application. MarkWars you walk on water in my world. I'm a personal trainer/coach for 15 years now and I can't tell you how many times I've pounded that into people's heads. Excellent work, I would give you advice but you are doing terrific with what you have been training. Although if you ever want anything more specific than weight loss feel free to ask me. Again great work. May I have permission to print out your above statement for my New Year's crop of newbie’s? They are particularly self-pitying this year.
I realize 74 is more impressive than 50... But, do people even read my posts?

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarkypants
I just lost 50+ pounds with diet and exercise (http://members.nutrisystem.com/Commu...-37-lbs--.aspx) . I chose weightlifting for exercise. I am 41 and I started last year. Everything went great until I overdid it. I have had tendonitis in both elbows for over 6 months now. I just visited the sports med. Dr. last week. He has given me permission to use 10% of the weight I was using and 10% of the reps.

Maybe this is no big deal for you young bucks (and does), but please be careful if you are not working under the oversight of a trainer. I hope to be able to start "really" lifting in a few more months. Pain sucks.
Mr. Barkypants already walks in the clouds. Good work too man.

PM with your specifics I might have a simple solution for your discomfort.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I had a big informative post here, but my computer forbid it and the post was completely deleted. So, since I am so ticked off, I will now condense what I had to say. Anyway:

K/H Addict: Use wrist curls, squats, calf raises, dips and tricep extension.

nyys: Machines aren't as specific, but they can be more safe. Remember that.

Now, for those that don't already know, I started weight training over six months ago. I could only bench about 80 lbs. Today, my max is about 170-180. How did I make such an increase? Determination. If you become serious about it, you will gain results. Another thing, I am fourteen years old, so it is not as if I am in a huge gaining area like I'm twenty-one or something. I hope this helps someone out.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Quote:

Mr. Barkypants already walks in the clouds. Good work too man...
LOL!

I was going to PM Purple, but I figured I'd share my story and maybe he can help others, too.

I use dumbells and a weight bench. I used the same weight for all reps of 48 lbs. Each lift consists of 3 sets of 7-10 reps (until fatigue) with approximately 30-60 seconds rest between sets. I lift Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. I try to get in a 1/2 of cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (norditrack or running) -- but it usually amounts to once a week. On non-lifting days when I am in the office and I know I'm not doing my cardio, I walk 3 laps twice a day on the 7 flights of stairs at work.

What I was doing when lifting (and will do again) was:

150-- twisty crunches
standing curls (each arm)
150-- twisty crunches
butterflies
150-- twisty crunches
inclined presses
150-- twisty crunches
bench presses
150-- twisty crunches
declined presses
150-- twisty crunches
underhand lat pull downs on my universal (max. weight)
overhand lat pull downs on my universal (max. weight)
150-- twisty crunches
3 sets of 30 pushups
150-- twisty crunches

Where I (believe) I blew out my tendons was preacher curling the dumbells off of the floor for the declined presses and WAAAAAAY overdoing the weight on the lat pull downs. I would feel a "firey" sensastion but I would work through it because I am a moron.

Also, I didn't stretch.......

I have seen my Dr. a couple of times and went through a short course of steroids and a 1/2-*ssed attemp at physical therapy. I saw the sports medicine DR. last week and he told me to start the 10% lifting stuff and immediate icing both tendons afterwards.

He said if I feel pain while lifting I am doing damage. He also said if the next day I felt nothing, it's not helpling. I have to find a "sweet-spot" of no pain while lifting but a small amount of sensation the following day to encourage healing. Over the course of a few months I should be fixed.

I also want to say Kudos to all of you for making commitments to getting yourseves in shape. Together, we can break the stereotype of gamers being 98 lb weaklings or looking like comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Markwars: Nice work. 74 lbs is amazing. I am proud of you.

Lastly, TIA to Purble Beard for your help.

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

Wow, thanks for the kind words.

You are right. It's very very very simple, but it does require a lot of discipline to drop the pounds quickly. Six months ago when I started I asked my good friend Velenne - that's his Scapers name anyway - (who just happens to be a trainer) to help me tailor an exercise plan to my want list. Here's what I told him I wanted:

Light cardio
Light strength training
no gym
no equipment
just me, gravity, and my floor/walls

Here's how he started me out:

30 minute leisurely walk three times a week for the cardio
Three sets of this routine: 12 wall push ups, 12 body squats, 12 crunches

After about two weeks of that I began ramping it up incrementally. These days I am addicted to it. I haven't missed my morning cardio in over five months - and that's outside at 5am in whatever weather the world wants to throw at me. My strength training now consists of five sets of this routine: 30 lunge steps, 30 crunches, 20 body squats, 15 push-ups. And I work in some resistance band training for my arms when I am in the mood for it (about three times a week).

I am not looking to become a pile of muscle. I want to have a lean body with a lot of stamina, flexibility, and fluidity of motion. Do you have any recommendations for that? I'm now 12 pounds from the goal weight of 193 pounds that my doctor set for me (I'm 6'2"), so I'm looking for simple routines that will help me maintain - not bulk up.

--------------------

And Mr. Barkypants you are right. It's high time gamers broke the mold of doughy basement denizens. It's one thing to be a geek, it's another to be unhealthy.

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
A site I went to to find some really nifty routines is: www.trainwithmeonline.com . They have full workouts for all levels of skill and different levels of equipment. I bought a stability ball and was looking for some stuff to do. They have the "300" workout which the actors in the movie used to shape up. It's worth a look.

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks.

Old January 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Man, markwars. Losing weight, quitting smoking...is there anything you can't do?
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx
Agreed. That's why I said whenever possible. Unless it's weight you know you can handle always have a spotter.

Been back at the gym about a year and a half now... My bench has gone from 95lbs on day one to 210 now. But the milestone I'm most encouraged about is going from 100lbs then to a 220lb squat now.

PS: I'm 32, so it's all relative.
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx
Agreed. That's why I said whenever possible. Unless it's weight you know you can handle always have a spotter.

Been back at the gym about a year and a half now... My bench has gone from 95lbs on day one to 210 now. But the milestone I'm most encouraged about is going from 100lbs then to a 220lb squat now.

PS: I'm 32, so it's all relative.
Good job! Oh, and this is also a good job to markwars and MrBarkypants. On preacher curls and such, I need no spotter (I do reps of 10 with 75 pounds for preacher curls). However, I always feel more comfortable with a spotter when doing benchpresses. Here is a video to show what I am talking about, even though this person has a spotter.

Nasty Benchpressing Scenario.

Yah, accidents happen.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Wow, he's lucky that hit him in the chest and not the neck.

On another note, I've found that sometimes getting over the hump so to speak and increasing your max is more of a head game than your having enough strength to lift said weight.

Happened to me in getting to that 220 squat. I already knew I could do 215 and that's what I thought I had put on the rack. So I get the bar up and do my 3 reps at "215". I put the bar down and my trainer comes along and says "Nice! 220!" I say, actually it's 215. He says, count again, that was 220.

He was right, I did a stupid and miscounted, thought I was doing 215. The fact that I knew I could do 215, I never hesitated, and did the reps. Where had I decided to go for a new max I would have paced the gym a couple times and got myself all worked-up to try it and I probably only would have done it once, and been happy with it.

I wish I messed up like that more often...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General