Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 31st, 2015, 11:55 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Tonight, I'm hosting a Halloween game night of heavily modded version of Mansions of Madness *crosses fingers* hopefully it goes well.

Coolstuff has been having a 50% off sale on Star Wars: Armada products. The entry price point hadn't been worth it to me. However, after seeing the sale, I decided to nosedive into it. I purchased 2 core sets, 2 gladiators, 1 VC destroyer, 1 Neb-B, 1 Corellian, and 1 of each of the Wave 1 squadron packs. It is supposed to show up today. Have any of you tried this game?

I also picked up the core book and beginner's set for Force and Destiny, VS 2pcg, some DC deck-building expansions (my wife is a fan of this and the original VS), and a couple packs of Imperial Assault Wookie Warriors and Hired Guns to go along with a expansion pack of Stormtroopers. I'm hoping the holidays are good to me and I can get some good gaming in.
I'm pretty sure @Arch-vile has played Armada.
Nope, I'm an X-wing guy. I don't have the $$$ to get into Armada too, though I'd love to give it a try. It looks like a lot of fun.
I have been playing X-Wing from the beginning, so was looking for something different. I like Armada more, but it really is very different, so having it, Xwing, and Imperial Assault fills out the Star Wars section of the game room. Armada is a more thoughtful game in that you need to plan further ahead than just the next turn like Xwing. Armada also takes a few games played to get that you can't play like it is just capital ship Xwing. The one negative for me is that it seems to take about twice as long as a game of Xwing and that was at 300 point games. The new standard will be 400, I believe, once the Imperial Star Destroyer and Home One are released, so I expect the games to be a little longer. This makes tournaments feel impossible, but I have read it is not. We have been talking about running one soon, so I will try to update.

My suggestion is go to your FLGS and try it out with the store copy or one of the guys who have sunk a ton of money in and are looking to suck others into the addiction. It is too expensive to risk that it might not be for you.
I concur with what both @Arch-vile and @Gurei-Ornery have stated above. I'm basically a SW: X-Wings guy now with a huge fleet of ships. I also own SW: Imperial Assault, but haven't gotten past the first scenario of the campaign. And I decided last Spring that I could *NOT* afford another collectible SW mini's game this year.

However, I know several guys with all three and have been curious about it. My FLGS has been running an X-Wing League on Wednesdays and one of the post that show up on the FaceBook page was an invitation to join the SW: Armada group that plays on Mondays, which I was unaware of. So this week I showed up and observed the 4-Player / 400 pts. game in session. Nice people who are fairly new to the game themselves, answered all my questions and explained what they were doing during each phase of each round.

After this first exposure to the game I'd say "YES! It is definitely a MORE 'thoughtful' strategic level game, that requires you to think ahead and plan your moves and combats in a sequence of events that will play out during each round." There were a lot of ships on the table and each one had it's corresponding Stat Card along with several Upgrade cards attached to it. The cards themselves seemed to have a lot more information than a typical X-Wing or HeroScape stat card. In addition the base of the ship models all had rotatable dials for tracking the Shields and Damages (instead of Wound Markers), much like the HeroClix devices.

I'm not surprised that the games do take longer since there is a lot more information to keep track of, which adds to the complexity of decision making process. That means potentially more Paralysis Analysis for NooB's. Nevertheless, IF I wasn't already heavily (perhaps overly) invested in FF's X-Wings (financially with a 100+ spaceship collection and emotionally with the 200+ member regional community), I probably would have preferred playing Armada because of the interaction of capital ships and fighter squadrons. To scratch that itch, I already have the now OOP Leviathans game system, which I find to be more elegant in that it's less fiddly cumbersome (no dials) and easier to learn and teach. You can read my comparison of the two systems on BGG.

EDIT:
Quote:
Will we be able to make some decent/fun lists with 2 core sets, 2 gladiator expansions, and 1 of every other Wave 1 expansion? Assuming everyone likes the game, any recommendations? Another Assault Frigate? ... or just wait for Wave 2?
I'd say most definitely, since that is a similar assortment to what I was looking at on Monday with some of the ships not on the table but still in the box. IMHO: You can go wrong with adding more Fighter Squadrons, but that's just me.

Re-edit:
Oops... Ninja'd while typing this.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; October 31st, 2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added additional add-on rather than double post.
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
10% off everything today at Miniature Market. Code is TREAT
Thanks for the heads-up.
YES, thank you @Porkins for the heads up. I was already planning to submit a new order to MM, but had not checked my email or their site yet that day, since I usually check-in here first when I've got enough leisure time to log-on to my computer. FF's SW: X-Wing Imperial Raider, 2x new "Force Awakens" starter sets, and 2x K-Wings are on their way. About every other month I spend $100+ to get the FREE shipping and the extra 10% makes it an even better bargain. ;o)

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:11 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Tonight, I'm hosting a Halloween game night of heavily modded version of Mansions of Madness *crosses fingers* hopefully it goes well.

Coolstuff has been having a 50% off sale on Star Wars: Armada products. The entry price point hadn't been worth it to me. However, after seeing the sale, I decided to nosedive into it. I purchased 2 core sets, 2 gladiators, 1 VC destroyer, 1 Neb-B, 1 Corellian, and 1 of each of the Wave 1 squadron packs. It is supposed to show up today. Have any of you tried this game?

I also picked up the core book and beginner's set for Force and Destiny, VS 2pcg, some DC deck-building expansions (my wife is a fan of this and the original VS), and a couple packs of Imperial Assault Wookie Warriors and Hired Guns to go along with a expansion pack of Stormtroopers. I'm hoping the holidays are good to me and I can get some good gaming in.
I'm pretty sure @Arch-vile has played Armada.
Nope, I'm an X-wing guy. I don't have the $$$ to get into Armada too, though I'd love to give it a try. It looks like a lot of fun.
I have been playing X-Wing from the beginning, so was looking for something different. I like Armada more, but it really is very different, so having it, Xwing, and Imperial Assault fills out the Star Wars section of the game room. Armada is a more thoughtful game in that you need to plan further ahead than just the next turn like Xwing. Armada also takes a few games played to get that you can't play like it is just capital ship Xwing. The one negative for me is that it seems to take about twice as long as a game of Xwing and that was at 300 point games. The new standard will be 400, I believe, once the Imperial Star Destroyer and Home One are released, so I expect the games to be a little longer. This makes tournaments feel impossible, but I have read it is not. We have been talking about running one soon, so I will try to update.

My suggestion is go to your FLGS and try it out with the store copy or one of the guys who have sunk a ton of money in and are looking to suck others into the addiction. It is too expensive to risk that it might not be for you.
I concur with what both @Arch-vile and @Gurei-Ornery have stated above. I'm basically a SW: X-Wings guy now with a huge fleet of ships. I also own SW: Imperial Assault, but haven't gotten past the first scenario of the campaign. And I decided last Spring that I could *NOT* afford another collectible SW mini's game this year.

However, I know several guys with all three and have been curious about it. My FLGS has been running an X-Wing League on Wednesdays and one of the post that show up on the FaceBook page was an invitation to join the SW: Armada group that plays on Mondays, which I was unaware of. So this week I showed up and observed the 4-Player / 400 pts. game in session. Nice people who are fairly new to the game themselves, answered all my questions and explained what they were doing during each phase of each round.

After this first exposure to the game I'd say "YES! It is definitely a MORE 'thoughtful' strategic level game, that requires you to think ahead and plan your moves and combats in a sequence of events that will play out during each round." There were a lot of ships on the table and each one had it's corresponding Stat Card along with several Upgrade cards attached to it. The cards themselves seemed to have a lot more information than a typical X-Wing or HeroScape stat card. In addition the base of the ship models all had rotatable dials for tracking the Shields and Damages (instead of Wound Markers), much like the HeroClix devices.

I'm not surprised that the games do take longer since there is a lot more information to keep track of, which adds to the complexity of decision making process. That means potentially more Paralysis Analysis for NooB's. Nevertheless, IF I wasn't already heavily (perhaps overly) invested in FF's X-Wings (financially with a 100+ spaceship collection and emotionally with the 200+ member regional community), I probably would have preferred playing Armada because of the interaction of capital ships and fighter squadrons. To scratch that itch, I already have the now OOP Leviathans game system, which I find to be more elegant in that it's less fiddly cumbersome (no dials) and easier to learn and teach. You can read my comparison of the two systems on BGG.
Based on what I'm reading, I believe my group and I will enjoy this game . Maybe starting out with some 200 points or less battles to get familiar w/ the rules. Out of curiosity, I will search out and check out your comparison to Levithans. Thanx Johngee.
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:19 PM

@Hellfire ... looking forward to reading about your groups reaction to the "unveiling" and their first session.

&OBTW: That BBG post is at . . .
http://www.BoardGameGeek.COM/thread/...2016-hardly-me

Last edited by Johngee; October 31st, 2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added link that I had to look up
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:22 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Last night I did Sentinels of the Multiverse where we kicked Gloomweaver's butt in a five on one game, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game where we're feeling a bit overpowered halfway through adventure pack three.
My group enjoys cooperative games but hasn't really tried these cooperative deck-building games. Do you recommend SotM or PACG over Legendary? Is there a sweet spot for the amount of players you can play a game with? ... I'm curious.
PACG is a co-op game, but is not what I would consider a deck builder. The game starts with each character having a roughly 15 card deck which happens also to be the character's life. While you will usually acquire additional cards during an adventure, it tends to be a small number and it is possible that none of them will be better than what you had.
In addition, it is not a random deck. The character deck must contain specific quantities of each type of card, so what is added during a game may not be able to be part of the next adventure for that character. And character death is very permanent in PACG.
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:34 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Last night I did Sentinels of the Multiverse where we kicked Gloomweaver's butt in a five on one game, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game where we're feeling a bit overpowered halfway through adventure pack three.
My group enjoys cooperative games but hasn't really tried these cooperative deck-building games. Do you recommend SotM or PACG over Legendary? Is there a sweet spot for the amount of players you can play a game with? ... I'm curious.
Sentinels is probably best with 3 or 4 players, though it can have a bit of a learning curve if you're all doing it for the first time. If you get it, you might consider starting with some solo play, so you're comfortable (I actually really enjoy it as a solo game) and can run the villain and environment along with your Hero, as you teach other players how to run Heroes.

It has a decent amount of similarities to Legendary (team of Superheroes go coop against a villain) but a lot of differences too (Heroes have set decks that they look through and develop - no purchasing or recruiting, each player plays only a single Hero, Villain mechanics are fairly different).

I like Legendary and Sentinels both, but feel Sentinels is probably slightly better (more elegant) on the design side. The one downside to Sentinels is it can be a bit fiddly sometimes with modifiers. Once you get used to the base mechanics, though, this is part of the fun.

PACG is one of my favorite games as well. It's really an enduring RPG Dungeon Crawl played with cards, rather than a "deckbuilder." Again, you're not purchasing cards, but you can acquire them with lucky dice rolls. I really enjoy it, but I think it's at its best when you have a group of players committed to grinding through it over time, RPG Style. It's OK as a one-off, but the leveling up is what appeals to me the most, personally. PACG can drag a bit if folks are being slow on their turns, but if you have decisive players not prone to AP who are on the ball, turns can go fairly quickly, and it can be fun with up to 6. Its sweet spot is probably 3 to 4, though, but it's another one that you can solo play (even if it's challenging).

I enjoy solo playing both games much more than solo playing Legendary.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 31st, 2015, 01:57 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Just finished adventure five in pfa wrath of the righteous. I enjoy this one way more than skulls and shackles.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:12 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
@Hellfire ... looking forward to reading about your groups reaction to the "unveiling" and their first session.

&OBTW: That BBG post is at . . .
http://www.BoardGameGeek.COM/thread/...2016-hardly-me
Thanks for link as I didn't find it upon initially searching it. Leviathans looks like a pretty cool looking game ... shame that it is OOP.

In regard to Armada, I'll plan on writing up a "first impressions" post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee
I'd say most definitely, since that is a similar assortment to what I was looking at on Monday with some of the ships not on the table but still in the box. IMHO: You can go wrong with adding more Fighter Squadrons, but that's just me.
Nice. And yeah, I think the squadron packs only come with two of each type so I could definitely see some potential value in picking up a pack or two more of those. I look forward to experimenting with the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targanth
PACG is a co-op game, but is not what I would consider a deck builder. The game starts with each character having a roughly 15 card deck which happens also to be the character's life. While you will usually acquire additional cards during an adventure, it tends to be a small number and it is possible that none of them will be better than what you had.
In addition, it is not a random deck. The character deck must contain specific quantities of each type of card, so what is added during a game may not be able to be part of the next adventure for that character. And character death is very permanent in PACG.
Oh, gotchya. That does sounds intriguing. I see that there are (at least) 3 base sets. If one decides to get into the game, is it best to start with Rise of the Runelords or one of the other ones? Or it is just a matter of theme preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
I enjoy solo playing both games much more than solo playing Legendary.
Thanks for your take on the games. I've played Legendary a number of times and I enjoy it but I tend to get a nagging sense that something is missing ... I'm not saying I know what it is, but I sometimes wish there was something else to it (albeit I've heard that the Alien/Predator variants address this ... whatever "this" is). Perhaps I just want more narrative out of the game and it gives me just enough of a taste of it to expect more.

Due to my crazy schedule it'd be nice to have a few other solo gaming options that I can play when nobody else would be available for something else (or games that I can play with Mrs. Hellfire). Sentinels and Pathfinder both sound like they could be engaging. I've also thought about FFG's Lord of the Rings LCG (I've heard that has a solo playing option as well) but I've been too intimidated by the amount of expansions to jump into it.
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:26 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Just finished adventure five in pfa wrath of the righteous. I enjoy this one way more than skulls and shackles.
I'm right there with you MM, S&S almost ruined PACG for me.

We have been playing portable games while on a mini vacation. Just Desserts, Epic, Legendary, Boss Monster 1&2, and a few prebuilt Force of Will decks. Also played Hed Banz where you have to guess the card on your head that everyone else can see. Sounds meh, but it was a blast.
Old October 31st, 2015, 08:34 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Haven't bought or played Skulls & Shackles. I've just got the original PACG. What makes S&S so bad?

To Hellfire: Sentinels of the Multiverse is probably my favorite solo play game. Once you get used to the mechanics, it's really not that hard to control the five or six decks you'd want to play with.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 1st, 2015, 12:15 AM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targanth
Oh, gotchya. That does sounds intriguing. I see that there are (at least) 3 base sets. If one decides to get into the game, is it best to start with Rise of the Runelords or one of the other ones? Or it is just a matter of theme preference?
Each of the three base sets has expansions unique to that base set. The three sets each generate a complete adventure, with character leveling and growth, and each base set starts at the beginning. So a character that finishes the first base set would become a brand new starting character if used in one of the other sets. From that point is really does not matter which set you start with. I've only played the first game. From other comments in this thread the second set would probably be the last choice of the three.
Old November 1st, 2015, 08:57 AM

I've also only played Rise of the Runelords.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games