Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

Old February 21st, 2020, 10:41 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Workshop Thread

I am happy to review the new version of Battlefield 23 -
Old February 21st, 2020, 03:16 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Yes. I am happy to as well.
@BiggaBullfrog ?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 22nd, 2020, 10:46 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

to review Battlefield 23.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 22nd, 2020, 11:48 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Would you mind indicating some of the specific changes you made in regard to the concerns mentioned in the reviews? That will help me compare how it’s improved (or gotten worse )
LOL.
oh wow, apparently I'm blind. I read your post on my phone and must have missed that you'd already added the changes to the original post...haha, that's hilarious I just realized it too.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 22nd, 2020, 12:25 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Would you mind indicating some of the specific changes you made in regard to the concerns mentioned in the reviews? That will help me compare how it’s improved (or gotten worse )
LOL.
oh wow, apparently I'm blind. I read your post on my phone and must have missed that you'd already added the changes to the original post...haha, that's hilarious I just realized it too.
So blind, you missed what I hadn't put up yet.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old February 26th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Battlefield 23 by Flash_19 has been accepted for review and moves forward in the process.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 15th, 2020, 03:57 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

My unofficial submission for the Spartan Scrolls contest, hoping to get some feedback (only map threads I ever had are super old and destroyed by Photobucket). Thanks in advance!

Goat Path

-Marching through the countryside-
Drake: "This reminds me of something back home."
Raelin: "How interesting. Where was it?"
Drake: "Trying to remember it from stories. Never been there myself. Therm... thermo... thermopo..."
Raelin: "Look Drake, goats!"
Drake: "They're, uh, they're flocking this way..."
-Grimnak crashes along behind them roaring-

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 16th, 2020, 07:24 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@NecroBlade - Thanks for joining in the fun! I like the asymmetrical design (I didn't see one side having an advantage). This looks like a fast hitting and fun map. Amazing that there are only 6 hexes on level two, and the glyph from that height is protected by the tree. Well done. I was initially concerned about the quick attack from range coming out of the start zone into the opponent's start zone. Units with move + range of 12 or greater like the Krav Maga are going to be feared in OM#1 of the first round. But, I guess you would need to be strategic when placing figures. And, I imagine with the terrain requirements for this contest we will see similar predicaments. Have you built this map? I have found it impossible to get the large evergreen tree to sit when it is surrounded by hexes - even water/shadow. Maybe I just have an extra large 4-hex base on the bottom of my tree. There are only two paths on the map that is a single-hex wide ... but, they are very strategic. If Rats or something block the path, figures without range would have to go around outcrops/trees and through water to reach and attack the glyph which is a minimum move of 12. Just tossing a couple of pennies your way.
Old March 16th, 2020, 09:08 PM

Couple initial thoughts:

With such small terrain allowance, asymmetric maps will likely be the way to go, and they are awesome when done right...so thank you for taking a stab!

Agreed on the tree not going to place well in the water, I think that's going to be tough from a building perspective. On that note I also think the water + tree there is actually a significant blocker for movement on that upper part of the map, and I think it'll restrict some flow.

I think if that is going to be the placement of the glyph and there's only 1, it needs to be a strong, pre-set glyph (maybe Gerda or Wannock or Valda). A weak glyph will really make the road kinda useless and the conflict not in that area. You want the glyph strong enough to pull fast and exciting conflict.

Try to create a little more elevation where possible. BftU is so light that this is difficult, so you won't get many additional elevation spots, but I'd say try to get 1-2 more height spots in there to pull the conflict. I typically try to do that by throwing more of the water into the SZ spaces so I can save some of the terrain for elevation changes. For this map in particular that would probably mean moving the 24-hex's to take up the middle and mixing and matching the other terrain to make the SZ. I also think that will help the actual marked SZ spaces as I'm a little concerned they're not too terribly intuitive and that will make it a little more difficult for someone to just sit down and play on the map without having to pull it up for the startzone.

Sorry to be so nit-picky...just trying to find some things that I think could make this better.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 16th, 2020, 09:37 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to try my hand and very limited terrain, and also pair something different with BftU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Amazing that there are only 6 hexes on level two, and the glyph from that height is protected by the tree.
There are 15 total hexes on level 2. 3 road right by the glyph, 2 3-hexes by the tree, and the 6 in the middle. It's not a lot, but the goal was to position the LoS blockers to minimize most of it.

Quote:
I was initially concerned about the quick attack from range coming out of the start zone into the opponent's start zone. Units with move + range of 12 or greater like the Krav Maga are going to be feared in OM#1 of the first round. But, I guess you would need to be strategic when placing figures.
Krav and Zelrig definitely have potential in the opening (though Krav can't get off more than 2 attacks). Enemies with 6+ move can immediately launch a counter-attack (unless they're killed). Certainly strong openers, though.

Quote:
Have you built this map? I have found it impossible to get the large evergreen tree to sit when it is surrounded by hexes - even water/shadow.
I actually have and that is a small issue for me, too. I can manage with just one water hex slightly angled, though that's a change I'll probably make.

Quote:
There are only two paths on the map that is a single-hex wide ... but, they are very strategic. If Rats or something block the path, figures without range would have to go around outcrops/trees and through water to reach and attack the glyph which is a minimum move of 12. Just tossing a couple of pennies your way.
I did make some late changes to cut out a choke point or two. It'll be further mitigated if I change up the water situation.

Quote:
With such small terrain allowance, asymmetric maps will likely be the way to go, and they are awesome when done right...so thank you for taking a stab!
I haven't done too much asymmetry before and let me tell you... it was such a nuisance to keep finding ONE hex that was off, but pulling it off feels fantastic.

Quote:
Agreed on the tree not going to place well in the water, I think that's going to be tough from a building perspective. On that note I also think the water + tree there is actually a significant blocker for movement on that upper part of the map, and I think it'll restrict some flow.
Yep, see above. After building it, I'll probably give this part a quick tweak.

Quote:
I think if that is going to be the placement of the glyph and there's only 1, it needs to be a strong, pre-set glyph (maybe Gerda or Wannock or Valda). A weak glyph will really make the road kinda useless and the conflict not in that area. You want the glyph strong enough to pull fast and exciting conflict.
I may put some thought into the glyph, but I don't think a random one is out of the question. The road does lead to some of the precious height on the map (though mitigated by LoS blocking) and each start zone gets a couple units on the road, so it's always an option from the beginning.

Quote:
Try to create a little more elevation where possible. BftU is so light that this is difficult, so you won't get many additional elevation spots, but I'd say try to get 1-2 more height spots in there to pull the conflict. I typically try to do that by throwing more of the water into the SZ spaces so I can save some of the terrain for elevation changes. For this map in particular that would probably mean moving the 24-hex's to take up the middle and mixing and matching the other terrain to make the SZ. I also think that will help the actual marked SZ spaces as I'm a little concerned they're not too terribly intuitive and that will make it a little more difficult for someone to just sit down and play on the map without having to pull it up for the startzone.

Sorry to be so nit-picky...just trying to find some things that I think could make this better.
This is a much bigger redesign, and I may give it a go to see what it yields. I usually do like a little more elevation variation, but I'm also pretty happy with where it's at, pending a little playtesting.

I also thought about sliding the blue wall a few hexes down to match the red wall, but it creates a tight squeeze by some of the LoS blockers for larger figures, plus it actually looks fine where it is given the shape of the red road.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:22 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with a lot of what's said - but I especially wanted to reiterate my biggest concerns with the map. Because of the lay out, I feel like games are going to play out the same way - with most of the conflict taking place at that corner. I feel like there are few glyphs that would be worth moving so much out of the way for when your enemy is so close (and many of them are not used in tournament games) so I very much agree with the idea of a pre-set strong glyph that would be worth going out of the way for. Granted, the road helps... but I worry it won't be enough to pull conflict to all parts of the map. I also don't love the water around the tree - I'd rather see it used as part of the start zones like Sir H recommended. You've taken on a significant challenge working with such little terrain, so every piece has to be used in the best way possible. I think this is a good first draft! Way to take on such a challenge! Hopefully some playtesting will help refine which hexes could be better utilized somewhere else.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old March 16th, 2020, 11:13 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I love maps that have a progression to how the battle develops, and that’s exactly what I see here, so I’m really excited for this map!

I actually disagree with my fellow judges — I think a random glyph is fine for this map. Setting too strong of a glyph will give too much of an edge to an army that is able to quickly claim that far corner. And I think the development of the action, for the most part, is pretty solid. In a standard battle you’ll meet at the close low ground, develop onto the high ground in that area to get an edge, and then start flanking and taking the glyph to get more of an edge, especially with any range the armies have.

In my opinion, the main struggle that the map currently has is the start zone layout. I think that if the start zones had more of an easy access along the road, it would promote even more the development into the glyph/height area. It still should be a bit of an effort to capture the same feeling of battle progression, but as it is right now I think it may take a bit too much effort, which may lead into the one-note battles that the other judges are concerned about.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla