Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old December 4th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Order Markers- Good question!
In war, leaders give orders, and often simultaneously to different groups. Sometimes things go according to the plan, but sometimes things fall apart. I think the order markers in Heroscape capture this element of decision making. The order markers allow you to plan, to take risks, to bluff. Robo Rally had some influence on the order marker's design. In that game you simultaneously make a plan with cards.

Also, we wanted something different than the usual, I take a turn, you take a turn...
Order Markers are brilliant. They probably lent the game to squadscape a bit, but also open up the potential for initiative switches and tense moments late in a close game that had easier order marker choices earlier in the game.

Q: What games do typically you play with your friends and family when it's not something you're testing or designing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 4th, 2016, 08:49 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Craig, I will add my thanks into all the good game work you have done. For my story I had played RPGs and board games back in 80s as a teenager. Then I stopped playing games in the late 80s and 90s as I went in the army then to college and then got married.

Fast forward to 2005 when my oldest kid was turning 4 and I was shopping at Toys R Us. Heroscape catch my attention, I bought it and was hooked. Even though I haven't played it much in recent years (I am into RPGs more these days) i will always have a fondness for it.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:28 PM

Augray is surprisingly tart

Quote:
My family has grown up with Heroscape too. Stephen, my nephew, would have Heroscape tournaments for his birthdays. I would bring prizes and a car load of terrain. After the tourney, I would host a big game on a giant set up with simultaneous play and some new story element or surprise.
Those were awesome parties. We would have 4-5 tables running with different terrains and have a swiss style tournament. The big game at the end was always epic with some kind of twist. One year Craig brought a big tornado that swept onto the battlefield. Stephen is 21 now and his friends still bug him to have a Heroscape party when his birthday rolls around.
Old December 12th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augray View Post
Those were awesome parties. We would have 4-5 tables running with different terrains and have a swiss style tournament. The big game at the end was always epic with some kind of twist. One year Craig brought a big tornado that swept onto the battlefield. Stephen is 21 now and his friends still bug him to have a Heroscape party when his birthday rolls around.
Nice!

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman1666 View Post
Hi Craig, here's a strangely specific question for you:

In the ROTV master set, why did you and the team choose to include two ruins of two different sizes? Was it a deliberate attempt to discourage players from making maps with perfect symmetry (I did notice none of the maps in the rule book were symmetrical), or was there some other reason?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post (if you do) and for making one of the greatest games of all time
Oman1666,
I guess it really comes down to, do you want two of the same pieces of terrain, or do you want two different ones? We thought players would want different ones.
Symmetrical Scenarios- we wanted playing Heroscape to be like creating a story. Two halves of identical terrain set ups seemed not very realistic to an actual battle.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:15 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Trask View Post
Craig,

Best of luck on your new business! I'm sure you can count on this community to support your efforts.

I have similar father/son bonding memories with others on the site. In fact, I just sent @killergoat72 a sliver of our collection to college and he already has 8 people playing and demanding more.

My Question: After the cancellation, we struggled to find a way to get Hasbro to reconsider. One of the ideas was sending tiles in with pleas to return the game to us. How did that go over?
Unfortunately, I never saw the tiles.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee likey View Post
What's up, Mr. Van Ness?
I can't remember if this has been asked yet but...
I'm assuming by now you would have heard about the announcement that Rob Daviau is going to take part in a new company called Restoration Games whose goal is to get the licenses for older, beloved games and remake them with new components and revised mechanics. As designer Justin Jacobson said, to "keep the spirit of the game, but make it work for what we expect out of modern games."

Which older games were you fond of, that would you like to see remade with modern qualities? And would you consider doing some consulting work with Restoration Games if Rob calls you up?
When my kids were younger, Bonkers was one of their favorite games. When I play older games that I liked as a kid, unfortunately, I am often disappointed. That's why I think Restoration Games will be successful if they identify the things that an older game needs to improve and implement those improvements. I could see game players wanting to buy these new versions.
Consulting for Restoration Games, that sounds like fun.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
What figures or types of figures do you most regret that never saw the light of day with the move to D&D and then cancellation? Pirates? The final Elf Wizard? Aquilla Flagbearer? Something else?
Star Wars Heroscape... Marvel expansion packs...
I am a little surprised the reveal that Star Wars heroscape was almost a thing didn't break this site. Did no one else see this? CVN posted that he regrets that star war heroscape never saw the light of day, and we just gloss on by?

Craig, is there anything you can share with us about Star Wars heroscape, anything at all?
What's up R˙chean? Good to hear from you. We designed army cards and terrain for all six movies... I can't really get into specifics.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelingScaper View Post
Dear Mr.Ness, My adventures in Valhalla began in 2007 at one of my best friends birthday parties. there he got the 1st edition RotV master set and Orm's Return. When I visited his house two weeks later I was fascinated by the simplicity of the combat system and the customization of the battlefield. Unfortunately i waited years till after the games discontinuation to get a 2nd edition set(i have 2 now) but thanks to you my friends and I have not had more fun revealing order markers moving our troops and launching coordinated attacks. I just have 1 question: out of all the large expansion sets Forgotten Forest ,Volcarren Wasteland, Raknars vision,Etc. which one were you the most proud of its results? -Ryan
TheTravelingScaper,
If I had to pick one terrain pack it would be the Wall and Tower pack. It really let Herocape battlefields become epic. Second would be the Ticalla Jungle.
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee likey View Post
'sup Craig.

There was a thread on this site which discussed the cartoons...it's been a while, some of the links are dead.

Here are some Youtube links to a couple Heroscape teaser cartoons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIKHtncnmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsBh5PCngqU

I think more in that style might also have been made, but no longer posted anywhere.

There were also 5 mini-webisodes made in a 3D style. Here they are put together into one video (The resolution is poor quality.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6vr4ZAybY

Finally, in the Heroscapers download section, under "Theme and Fiction" you'll find all the Heroscape comics (in jpeg and pdf) and a rough draft of a script for webisodes that were never made. Looks like the original source of the script was here.
if it is out there, heroscapers find it...
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
"Army card cost formula"? Do tell!
Indeed. That would be most interesting for producing customs. I mean we have our ways anyway, but still.
Yes. We had formulas. When designing we would put the cards into the formula to see what would come out. We usually guessed first at a cost.
Yes, I've seen cost formulas around, most of them seem to not be that great. Nowadays, a lot of costing is done by comparison to existing units, and revised by testing. I guess I was wondering if you could actually share the cost formula you used, or shed some light on to how effective it was.
I don't think I can share the formulas.
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
For what its worthy Craig, I think you played the hand you were dealt as well as you possibly could. But with how big Marvel has gotten recently with their continuous box offices successes, I have to believe that if Marvel 'Scape would have continued, the game would still be on store shelves today.

I would like to know: Did you ever consider releasing the standard expansion packs in cardboard boxes, without the clear plastic bit, to save on cost/be able to ship the boxes more compactly?
Yes. I think a line for the hobby market would not require everyone to see everything.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion