Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: A challenge! (aka Help a novice not get smashed!)

Raider30,

I own quite a bit of everything (except only 2 squads of those darn Sacred Band!!) so if you find an army while searching through this site that you really dig, just shoot me a PM and there's a pretty good chance that you will be able to borrow it from me.

And to beat Nebraska, you need lots of WoA...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never buy only one of a common pack!"

I'm not crazy about 1x of any of the commons from those two waves. Of the heroes, I might recommend Shurrak from Warriors of Eberron, because he'll eat up a lot of points and shouldn't embarrass you too much on the battlefield.

One of two things will happen. (1) You will end up using an army with simple OM management, or (2) you will wish you did. Look for ways to manage large chunks of "points" of your army with single cards. Either through bonding, or giant point hogs like The Hulk.

Have fun.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Without multiple of Commons, you will not get very competitive.
The Wyrmling pack, however, could be the exception.
Maybe this one will be too Order Marker heavy/tricky, but a fun army could be:
Major Q10 - 150
Raelin - 120
Otonashi - 10
Iron Golem - 100
Blue Wyrmling - 35
White Wyrmling - 30
Black Wyrmling - 30
Red Wyrmling - 30
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Just thought I'd put this out here for you Raider30:

Don't be afraid to borrow! Most people will be happy to give you what you need, albeit for one day. Also, if you borrow, it gives you a chance to try out a unit, and see if it's worth paying for to play with again. Hope to see you at the tournament!
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

If I could make a suggestion -

Steamroller seems to be pretty good in this format. It was near the top of my list. It also has very easy order marker management.

Old November 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

Steamroller seems to be pretty good in this format. It was near the top of my list. It also has very easy order marker management.
Really? Spartacus eats up too many points to take advantage of the melee starting space bonus. Dwarves could work, but Mogrimm is range, so that A) bumps you down two squads of AoBF worth of starting hexes or B) restricts you to Migol/Darrak. Is there another type of steamroller that I'm missing...?
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockma Ranyk View Post
Quote:

Really? Spartacus eats up too many points to take advantage of the melee starting space bonus. Dwarves could work, but Mogrimm is range, so that A) bumps you down two squads of AoBF worth of starting hexes or B) restricts you to Migol/Darrak. Is there another type of steamroller that I'm missing...?
Right but you only have to fight 16 range units at the most.

Old November 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So all battles will be melee vs range?
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So all battles will be melee vs range?
No -

If you are ever going to take Steamroller to a tourney, A tourney where there's less chances of girly range units to hide behind rats is a great opportunity to do this.

Old November 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never buy only one of a common pack!"

I'm not crazy about 1x of any of the commons from those two waves. Of the heroes, I might recommend Shurrak from Warriors of Eberron, because he'll eat up a lot of points and shouldn't embarrass you too much on the battlefield.

One of two things will happen. (1) You will end up using an army with simple OM management, or (2) you will wish you did. Look for ways to manage large chunks of "points" of your army with single cards. Either through bonding, or giant point hogs like The Hulk.

Have fun.
Nice Bride reference.

There is a reason though that I didn't want to buy more common guys. I figured I'd try to get the 'set' of stuff first and then once I figure out which guys I like to play with I can look to buy singles, which should be cheaper in the long run.(although the $9 a booster I paid isn't all that bad I don't think).

The more I read about OM and look at cards the more I realize I've got a pretty fair amount to learn. It does make me think that taking an army with simply OM would be the best thing.

I don't really expect to win or even do very well. But I think it will be fun to go and learn a bit and just get the feel of the game. So even if I just threw together a bunch of misfits I think I'd still have a good time.

Plus another reason I'm going is to hopefully meet some other players from the area so I could play more regularly.

What would your definition of simple OM be?

- Raider30
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Just thought I'd put this out here for you Raider30:

Don't be afraid to borrow! Most people will be happy to give you what you need, albeit for one day. Also, if you borrow, it gives you a chance to try out a unit, and see if it's worth paying for to play with again. Hope to see you at the tournament!
I absolutely appreciate the offer! I've had several people make the same offer, which is just really cool that you all are willing to help out a beginner. Definitely makes me excited to meet you all.

- Raider30
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM

TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider30 View Post
What would your definition of simple OM be?
Any army where you have a lot of synergy. This allows you to put all your OM on one unit, but move other units as required.

Orcs, Dwarves, Knights of Weston, Gladiators are some examples (points are off in these)

4 x Blade Gruts (common squads)
1 x Grimmak
1 x Nerak
1 x Ornak

3 x Axegrinders (common squads)
1 x Mogrimm
1 x Migol
1 x Darrak

3 x Gladiators (common squads)
1 x Retarius
1 x Crixus
1 x Spartacus

In these builds, you put all your OM on the common squad. They will last awhile. Then, because of bonding, you get to move one hero (of your choice) as well. So, OM managment is simple. You simply put all OM on the common squads until they are almost dead.

Simple. No thought required.

There are many other options, some are slightly more complex, others just as easy.

The future of scape is players like us who support a community like this - with new maps, scenarios and events. Playing scape. Not buying scape...

Quick-Set-Up Map Thread The Principles of War

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion