Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old October 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Seriously? Just play the game and enjoy it.
Yes! I get a lot of pleasure out of discovering for myself synergy between the decks. Part of the game is identifying which combos work for better for you, and which for your opponents, and maybe using the deck drafting device to help yourself or hurt your opponent.

To the best of my knowledge, though, there are no broken-good combos in the base set. So don't worry about (or hope for) that. Just play and enjoy!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I might be grouchy this morning. D_S said it a lot nicer than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

More often than not, Q, it's the other way around.

= =
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It's role reversal day! Thanks, I'm happier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I' m never grouchy

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:33 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Played Arena of the Planswalkers twice last night with my wife, and have been playing with the newest MTG set in the meantime as well. Have a tiny break in homework, so planning on more games tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Just bought Smash Up (AEG). What are the best initial combos? What are the best expansions to get?
One of our favorite games! All expansions are good. If you can't/won't get them all, just pick the ones with the coolest looking factions. In my opinion, the Pretty Pretty Smash Up has some of the most fun factions (But I haven't picked up the Munchkin set yet, that just came out).

Don't worry about combos, most of the fun is trying everything for yourself!
Old October 7th, 2015, 12:34 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
@ Johngee!! What the heck, you big goofball?! You'll need it in November, right???
WRONG! Sorry D_S, My three sons are getting together for a wedding in Philadelphia that day, coming in from different directions. So I've changed my plans to hang out with them in PA. I guess you can scratch my name off the 'Maybe/Possible Attendees List.' Hopefully you'll run another event in the Spring and I'll try to down there for that one.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just a couple of notes on Smashup: as I prepare for a first play:

1. Wil Wheaton did an episode on Table Top, which gives a good feel for game play, although he got a couple of rules wrong. More importantly, the 'base mats' he used under each base card each had a strength track to note how many points of minions were on each base did not come from the game, but they certainly made things easier math wise. So...

2. Although a number of commentators asked about the base mats, no one answered them. then I found five similar ones on the Files Section of boardgamegeek, and have them ready to go with red stones as current point indicators. I'll just use The Big D20s we used for Scape to track individual player scores. I'll also use black (-1) and white (+1) stones to adjust minion strengths as necessary. This will save me printing out and pasting the little tokens also provided by the guy who used the kit for play testers. I just pasted the five printouts on poster board.

3. I agree that this is not a game that I want to over analyze, but I did make a list from bgg of the seven current expansions with their factions, so I can pick up a few if I like the game. And I looked at a few comments/reviews about some of them, such as which introduce new rules to the game. I had looked at a review before I got the game, even though it was more a less an impulse buy yesterday at my Barnes and Noble.

The guys are coming over today for some monthly Scape, and hopefully we'll have some extra time at the end to try it out with 3-4 players.
Old October 7th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Lucky again. The rest of us can only order online from CSI...
(~~~lol~~~) Ditto. I hope you went out and bought a Lottery Ticket after that. I spent more than $40 for each of my huge Rebel ships and shopped around for the best available prices. At the time I thought I was getting a good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
That sounds awesome, Johngee. I've been loving X-Wing, more and more. I'll admit that we rarely play more than 200 points (and often 100 or so).
<~snip/snip~>
Heroica: Fortaan 16 - My sons played most of these. They really went on a kick with Heroica. I played a few with them and the family played one together, but they setup some maps on a cardtable and left them up for days, playing every break they got.
Memoir '44 4 - My parents got this and an expansion for my sons birthdays (a month apart). Been great playing this one!
Carcassonne 2 - Taught this to some new friends we met. They bought it right after. Looking forward to having some new gamer friends!
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie 1 - Yup, the best is still around!
RE: X-Wing - One group that I'm in only plays Star Wars games and is totally into the One-vs.-One competition style tournaments. These guys have become really good and it and still keep 'tweaking' the Best Builds for even more effective domination of opponents. I'm glad that I recently found a few guys in other groups I'm also in, who are new to the game, so I can play more casually for the FUN of the game and get in more of the multi-player, higher point fleet Mission Scenarios where this game really shines.
RE: Heroica - I found one last month at a Thrift Store for $2 and was going to just dump the pieces into the tub of Legos I keep on hand for my grand kids, but when I read the rules and realized that it was 100% complete, decided to keep it intact as is. It actually looks pretty cool and remembered that it got accolades when it was previewed at GenCon a couple years back.
RE: Memoir'44 - I've only played this once several years ago when it was new. I enjoyed it enough to leave on my Wish List. I FINALLY picked up two copies of the basic game this summer at a B&N 50% Sale and still haven't opened the shrink wrap. I may have to make an unexpected journey to the NYC Gang of 4 to get a learning session with @chas whom I know loves the Richard Borg series of C&C light war games.
RE: Carcassonne - I agree this is a great game to introduce new friends and family to the hobby. You've probably read my complaints about it on this thread, but that's only because I've played it so often with the same opponents, that I know what to expect and don't enjoy the meta. Meanwhile I'm often praising the game itself on BGG.
RE: Splendor - I like this one a lot. It's light, quick, fun, and easy to learn. It's one of the games that I've been begging my wife, step-son, and daughter-in-law to TRY, but they're adverse to anything new.
RE: HeroScape - I CONCUR! It's still the best. One group that I'm in meets Tuesday evenings, but plans a quarterly All Day Saturday Events. I've mentioned HS so often when I'm there that they encouraged me to run an HS Demo at the next one. Soooo, I'll be bringing FIVE 4-Player maps and TWENTY 400 pt. Armies there TOMORROW. I'm hoping some willing participants will show up and I can give a positive report next week.
Sorry I missed your response, Johngee. Work has been piling it on.

We don't play super competitive X-Wing. I learned with Scape that I'm happier not doing tournaments and such. (I ran dozens of events for CoolStuff and other places over the years, even DiceTowerCon, but I slowly realized that I don't like playing games where optimization is emphasized so much.)

X-Wing is definitely best with a small group of friends trying out fun ships and new ideas and scenarios, imo.

Heroica is mindless fun. There are few decisions and it is mostly dice-driven, but it is fun nonetheless. Reminds me a bit of Dungeon! from my childhood, but much cuter.

You should definitely try Memoir. It is not perfect, but it is really quite fun. If you can tolerate both some card and dice luck mixed into a wonderfully simple system, you'll love it.

Splendor is one of my favorites to teach new gamers. My 16yo recently stopped playing with us, but she'll come to the table for Splendor. Score!

--

More recently, we've been playing:

Run, Fight, or Die (still love this dice-chucker)
Legendary: Villains (seems a bit tougher than the original set)
Lots of One Night Werewolf (great fast game)
Ingenious (one of the best abstracts)
Medieval Academy (great drafting game)
Love Letter (taught to our new gamer friends)
Attraction (fun with magnets!)
King of Tokyo (also taught to our new gamer friends)

--

The BIG question:

Looking to add a game into our family rotation--something that everyone will like (wife, kids, me). It will be for my wife's birthday, who likes simple, family-based fun.

I'm thinking Colt Express or Machi Koro.

What do you all think?
Old October 7th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Colt Express!! It is so much fun. Every round is a new, wacky story.

= =
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:01 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
The BIG question:

Looking to add a game into our family rotation--something that everyone will like (wife, kids, me). It will be for my wife's birthday, who likes simple, family-based fun.

I'm thinking Colt Express or Machi Koro.

What do you all think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Colt Express!! It is so much fun. Every round is a new, wacky story.
Really not a persuasive comment as I haven't played Machi Koro (because the only person I know who has it only has the Japanese version ), but after playing Colt Express it is now my next family game purchase.
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

I have played Colt Express with veteran gamers and new ones, with my kids and and with my dad, with groups from 3 to 6, with fans of Euro and fans of Ameritrash, and it is always riotously fun, and everyone always enjoys it.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games