Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old February 20th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Never really knowing the character too well, I always felt like Black Panther was more than a suit.

The female characters had no suit, no powers, only their training and a spear as their high tech. Now that is awesome.
I would have preferred a movie just about them or at least they should have given them a side mission they could kick ass on to break up the lulls.

I agree with your list YK. Ant-Man would be on top of the second tier for me, I really enjoyed that one. Strange and Panther both suffered from me having too high of expectations. I enjoyed Strange much more the second time when I did not expect it to be great, so that may happen with Panther.
Black Panther is more than his suit, he's a king that has to walk the line between keeping his kingdom safe and also doing what's right for the rest of the world. He seems to have grown up sheltered from some issues in the rest of the world, as his father and other ancestors did certain things to make Wakanda an isolationist country. As a man, he has courage and honor and is smart. But also, aside from the suit, he has to drink that mashed up heart shaped flower that gives him his physical abilities, kind of like super soldier serum in that regard.

Take away Iron Man's armor and he's just a rich smart guy, like King T'Challa. Take away Cap's super soldier serum and shield, and he's a great leader and has a huge heart.

Superheroes pretty much need something that makes them super, and not just regular people that can fight or shoot etc.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; February 20th, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 24th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Went to see Black Panther again today. This time, my wife joined us. She enjoyed it as well!

Old February 24th, 2018, 10:05 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Just got home from seeing Black Panther with the family has sell. I wouldn't put it in my top tier but easily in the second tier of four or five tiers.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 24th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Just got home from seeing Black Panther with the family has sell. I wouldn't put it in my top tier but easily in the second tier of four or five tiers.
The thing that makes Black Panther different, is that it represents more for the black community, and women than being a simple comic book movie. It is a majority black cast of a movie that isn't a comedy or historical movie. It has black king, where royalty is generally European. They have issues and danger, but don't have to be saved by a white guy. It shows that people with more should help lift up those who were just born into a bad situation. The women were strong, not only in combat, but have important positions in the kingdom.

For the black community, the kids have a hero to be inspired by, and not just a sidekick type hero. They also get to see themselves as being very technology capable etc.

This may not seem that important to a lot of people, but I can understand why it is so important to some.

Old February 25th, 2018, 12:47 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
The thing that makes Black Panther different, is that it represents more for the black community, and women than being a simple comic book movie. It is a majority black cast of a movie that isn't a comedy or historical movie. It has black king, where royalty is generally European. They have issues and danger, but don't have to be saved by a white guy. It shows that people with more should help lift up those who were just born into a bad situation. The women were strong, not only in combat, but have important positions in the kingdom.

For the black community, the kids have a hero to be inspired by, and not just a sidekick type hero. They also get to see themselves as being very technology capable etc.

This may not seem that important to a lot of people, but I can understand why it is so important to some.
Oh no I get all that...I too can understand why it is so important to some. Though believe it or not as I watched the movie that never really stuck out (I mean this in a positive way). This is my own personal view so I don't mean for this to sound judgey to anyone else but if we ever expect to get to any common ground in race/sexist situations we need to not differentiate either way, good or bad. I understand that there will be tons of people who will feel pride in this movie for just the things you pointed out and if that leads to more opportunities that's wonderful. But I choose to see this as a very enjoyable movie and not add any type of modifiers to it. If this is a movie full of Irish actors with the back story of their discrimination and hard life...I'd have the same opinions. The acting was very, very good. The General had some tough scenes and she sold them.

So my opinion on the movie is based solely on the storytelling and the cinematic of the movie going experience for it wasn't up in the same tier as Winter Soldier. I like the movie a lot though. The Villain had real motivations that were believable and you could sympathize with him. The emotions of the new king coming to terms with the actions of the old king were great. I thought it was mostly well written...and I think there was way more depth to this movie than just the racial statements...

Spoiler Alert!

~Irish was just the first white group I thought of due to a recent documentary I watched. I could have used countless others that would probably have been more accurate. But I think everyone should get my point.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 25th, 2018, 01:08 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh no I get all that...I too can understand why it is so important to some. Though believe it or not as I watched the movie that never really stuck out (I mean this in a positive way). This is my own personal view so I don't mean for this to sound judgey to anyone else but if we ever expect to get to any common ground in race/sexist situations we need to not differentiate either way, good or bad. I understand that there will be tons of people who will feel pride in this movie for just the things you pointed out and if that leads to more opportunities that's wonderful. But I choose to see this as a very enjoyable movie and not add any type of modifiers to it. If this is a movie full of Irish actors with the back story of their discrimination and hard life...I'd have the same opinions. The acting was very, very good. The General had some tough scenes and she sold them.

So my opinion on the movie is based solely on the storytelling and the cinematic of the movie going experience for it wasn't up in the same tier as Winter Soldier. I like the movie a lot though. The Villain had real motivations that were believable and you could sympathize with him. The emotions of the new king coming to terms with the actions of the old king were great. I thought it was mostly well written...and I think there was way more depth to this movie than just the racial statements...

Spoiler Alert!

~Irish was just the first white group I thought of due to a recent documentary I watched. I could have used countless others that would probably have been more accurate. But I think everyone should get my point.

I here you. And I enjoyed it for th the same reasons, for the story, characters, action, etc.

But I don't see the Irish/hardship relationship so much or the like. I get that they were treated like crap, but I don't think BP is that, as much as showing blacks collectively on screen in a way not done before. So it's not so much about the colonization or having less opportunity etc that would be more in line with the way Irish may have had a rough time. BP doesn't show Wakandans as victims, but as powerful, smart people.

That doesn't affect my judgement of the movie, as I enjoyed it for the things I enjoy other comic book movies for. But, I understand how this is more than that for some people.

Old February 25th, 2018, 01:35 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Went to see Black Panther today. Really, really enjoyed it. I really liked that it was almost not an MCU movie. It's set in that universe, but it feels different. The story isn't any more complex, but it is deeper thematically speaking.
Old February 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
BP doesn't show Wakandans as victims, but as powerful, smart people.
What I got from it is that Wakanda is absolutely the richest, most advanced society on the planet while the rest of Africa suffers in poverty and the Wakandans do nothing.

It is awesome that they are finally trying to do something or at least talk about maybe doing something. How many have suffered why they live in the lap of luxury?

Yes they are powerful, smart people and they choose to horde that power for themselves and ignore the true victims. I am not sure if that makes them any better than anyone else, if anything they are worse with a few obvious exceptions who are actually trying to help Africans other than Wakandans.

For evil to win it simply takes good men to do nothing.

It reminds me of Eddie Murphy's ice cream bit.
"I got my ice cream, I got my ice cream.
Wanna lick? Psyche!"

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 25th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

That is true Tornado. People with the ability should help those with less. Being an isolationist country with power is selfish and allows others to suffer, which can come back and bite the isolationist country in the butt.

Old February 25th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

For me that clouded what was an awesome display of African pride and accomplishment.
They did an incredible job of working in so much culture, it gave the movie incredible depth.
I realize that is the way Wakanda is in the comics and maybe that is the only way to tell the story but I feel like that could have lessened the 'all for one, and all for Wakanda' feeling.
They could not stay hidden and still help people?
Old February 25th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Prickly Cactus

Perhaps they did that not only to be faithful to the comics, but also to help show how T'Challa will make things different. Still maintaining his role as protector of Wakanda, but also having empathy for others in need. He has to balance between the two.

Also, there are other factions within Wakanda that the king has to appease as well. If any of them had been too open to the outside world, some within may not like the exposure and challenge for control.

I see their position similar to Asgard and Atlantis, where they have to have a reason for their superheroes to not always be available to help others out, or share their tech or other things.

Old February 25th, 2018, 01:29 PM

But they are not human.

Wakandans could have sent more 'special forces' to help with more modern instead of advanced technology. Hell, just supplying certain regions with clean water would go a long way and well within their means.

I would have preferred to see Wakanda do some good.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies